Sign in to follow this  
TejS

Considering the fact that Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the Eternal Guru to all Sikhs, why is the Dasam Granth debated?

2 hours ago, TheeTurbanator said:

Where is this from, and when was it written? 

If im correct this is bansavalinama which was written in 1760s

1 hour ago, Singh123456777 said:

If im correct this is bansavalinama which was written in 1760s

Is it considered authentic by many scholars? 

• Haha 2

On 5/13/2018 at 10:43 PM, BhForce said:

GuruGranth Sahib is already 1430 pages long. Why do you think Guru Sahib should have been obligated to createa huge 3000 page granth? That's Guru Sahib's decision, not ours.

How many angs Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji would have had been by adding Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji has no impact on to keep them together or separated.

Guru Granth Sahib is a font of spirituality. The Dasam Granth Sahib is a source of temporality. (miri). It also describes the old avatars to show they were lower than God, but always in a martial tone.

Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji Bani does not lack in spirituality. Jaap Sahib would not be right after Japji sahib in amrit Sanchar had it been a source of temporality. Its a source of the divine and is the divine/Akal Purakh.  After all both are Guru's Bani that praises Akal Purakh and attaches the reader to Akal Purakh.

Sikhs don't need to make up reasons to a question Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji may not have answered.

ਬਚਨ ਕੀਤਾ, "ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਹੈ ਉਹੁ, ਏਹ ਅਸਾਡੀ ਹੈ ਖੇਡ ।"

[Guru Gobind Singh Ji] said, "Granth Sahib is the Adi, and [Dasam Grath] is my play."   

The above says: it was said, Granth Sahib is there, this is my play.

This is what bansavalinama claims was said by the Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji after Sikhs asked about making Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji as one.

Let's just accept both are separate and Guruship was given to Adi Granth Sahib and not Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji.  As to why they are separate, yet some of the Bani come together at amrit sanchar is not explained because either the Guru didn't explain it or was explained and was diluted over time or the explanation was lost over time. 

Let's not be influenced by missionaries to use  worldly logic and make up an answer to satisfy anyone. The goal is to be absorbed in the Gurus Bani.  Those who don't read Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji have strange questions on Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji.  Had they been reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, they would have read Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji because the Guru brings not doubt and worldly logic in a person but contentment and humility.  These two virtues would have sparked the soul to take a dip in the Bani of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji had the person wanted to know about Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji.

Guest JSinghnz
On 5/13/2018 at 7:08 PM, TejS said:

I've read on this forum and have met certain people in real life claim that the Dasam Granth should be placed in Gurudwaras and teachings from it should be used in life. Although I can argue that many concepts and teachings are already practiced from the Dasam Granth such as Khalsa being the most notable, as well as certain Ardas being found in the Granth, my question is really about the debate for the consideration of the Dasam Granth. If the decision has been made by Guru Saheb himself, then why are people challenging it? I mean if the teachings in the Dasam Granth were meant to apply to Sikhs for eternity, then Guru Saheb could have himself added them into the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, however he chose not to and did not give the Gurgaddi to the Dasam Granth either. So, if I'm not being ignorant, people should not be seeking the Dasam Granth for knowledge, when, as per the Guru, the Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the be-all and end-all. If, however, I am missing some crucial information and knowledge, please explain and discuss.

Deleted. 

17 hours ago, TheeTurbanator said:

Is it considered authentic by many scholars? 

given that Guru ji completed and we have a saroop Of Dasam Guru ka Granth dated from 1698 I would definitely consider it authentic as Guru ji made the younger brother whole and seperate  in his Lifetime .

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

given that Guru ji completed and we have a saroop Of Dasam Guru ka Granth dated from 1698 I would definitely consider it authentic as Guru ji made the younger brother whole and seperate  in his Lifetime .

Why would there be such a controversy over the Dasam Granth then? 

7 minutes ago, TheeTurbanator said:

Cause of the content inside of it. Guru sahib wrote so much but people cant understand it, so they try to label it as not guru sahibs.

12 minutes ago, TheeTurbanator said:

The modern day Dasam Granth is heavily expunged. Several banis have been excised though some individuals still print them in the Granth.

https://tisarpanth.tumblr.com

• Like 1

One main point of confusion that I see among anti dasam granth people is the whole argument of "why didnt the Guru include it in SGGSJ" or "are you saying SGGSJ is incomplete". How would you respond to that?

I would personally highlight the differance between the two, and state how the SGGSJ is meant for humanity, while the DG is more specialized towards the Khalsa. 

1 minute ago, TheeTurbanator said:

One main point of confusion that I see among anti dasam granth people is the whole argument of "why didnt the Guru include it in SGGSJ" or "are you saying SGGSJ is incomplete". How would you respond to that?

I would personally highlight the differance between the two, and state how the SGGSJ is meant for humanity, while the DG is more specialized towards the Khalsa. 

DG is corroborative.

1 minute ago, 13Mirch said:

DG is corroborative.

towards what? please explain in detail what you mean 

3 minutes ago, TheeTurbanator said:

towards what? please explain in detail what you mean 

I have always perceived it in the same vein as Bhai Gurdas Ji's vaars. It augments the message of Guru Granth Sahib Ji allegorically whilst underscoring the importance of sovereignty for the Khalsa.

• Like 1

I see people have three main interpretations:

1) raagi darshan/neo-missionaries who say DG was a brahmin (?) writing with no role historically. demonstrably false

2) The view that Adi Granth is the Guru, but Dasam Granth is also bani to be respected, revered, and read. this is the prevalent view today and what I think to be the historical view

3) That the "Guru Granth Sahib" is not one text but is in fact represented by three darbars. The Adi Guru Darbar, the Dasam Guru Darbar, and the Sarbloh Guru Darbar. This is propagated by some Nihang sites (I believe manglacharan as well) but I have not found any historical evidence for it - yet

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TheeTurbanator said:

why would Harmandir Sahib get attacked 4 times since independence , weakening of the sikh spirit...

• Haha 1