Sign in to follow this  
jkvlondon

Mumbai's Partition refugees being made homeless again

Sad to hear that even afterspending their own money on flats and businesses after 1947 , Mumbai refugees from Punjab are still not secure and are being made homeless again by court order:

https://scroll.in/article/887276/facing-eviction-residents-of-mumbais-partition-era-colony-fear-they-will-become-refugees-again

• Thanks 3

That's really sad    government has basically made them refugees again 

• Like 1

Talking of indian governments I was asked to give my fingerprints at amritsar airport but no one else was asked! Is this normal? The indian government basically have my fingerprints! This happened in December 2017 around the time jaggi got arrested. Maybe it was for security reasons       but they only took mine! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, puzzled said:

Talking of indian governments I was asked to give my fingerprints at amritsar airport but no one else was asked! Is this normal? The indian government basically have my fingerprints! This happened in December 2017 around the time jaggi got arrested. Maybe it was for security reasons       but they only took mine! 

No that is not normal or required ...

2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

No that is not normal or required ...

Yeah my mum was really worried. the Indian government basically has my fingerprints!  perhaps they were monitoring whose coming in and out of the country ?  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Yeah my mum was really worried. the Indian government basically has my fingerprints!  perhaps they were monitoring whose coming in and out of the country ?  

:shock:)) don't worry be happy man!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JSinghnz said:

LOL why would I be happy?  I just find it odd how they decided to take my fingerprint. I don't think those people trust sikhs especially nri sikhs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, puzzled said:

LOL why would I be happy?  I just find it odd how they decided to take my fingerprint. I don't think those people trust sikhs especially nri sikhs. 

Heaps of countries do that as part of  normal airport biometrics identification

Haven't you travelled overseas much?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JSinghnz said:

Heaps of countries do that as part of  normal airport biometrics identification

Haven't you travelled overseas much?

there's hellva difference between biometric passport scans and fingerprint scans of Usa say , and Punjab's suspect behaviour , I've been back and forth to loads of places and only USA asked for my prints to complete my biometrics submitted .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

there's hellva difference between biometric passport scans and fingerprint scans of Usa say , and Punjab's suspect behaviour , I've been back and forth to loads of places and only USA asked for my prints to complete my biometrics submitted .

FYI

BIOMETRICS.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JSinghnz said:

FYI

BIOMETRICS.PNG

ok  I have been to Brazil in 2016  no scanned fingers

USA 2016 Yes scanned

Germany 2015 mid transit

France 2015 Not sc anned

Italy 2015 Not scanned

Netherlands every other month for two years No scan

UK I have the biometric 1st gen passport we'll see in 2019 what they require off me

India 2015 no scan  2017 no scan

Maybe EU passport holders don't have to submit fingers if they already have a biometric one from their member state .

On 8/2/2018 at 12:11 PM, JSinghnz said:

You should have been there in Delhi in 84. 

As for the evacuations. The buildings are in horrible condition. I agree they need to be torn down.  If they remain and crumble on their own, then we would have blamed government for it. However, the govt should provide some sort of assistance to these families while new homes are found. 

Message to all (message to all): 5 members are now under moderation. Do not use foul language. This forum will not allow any harassment towards anyone nor we allow any foul language.

• Like 4

Prime land owned by government. State government motive is bigger than the safety concern. People own those flats. Fault is with the folks living in them as they didn't have any association to take care of the building and in article they admit and clearly stated that their grandfathers/fathers were not educated to think ahead. 

unable to redevelop their buildings because the state government has not granted them a no-objection certificate.

They want to re-develop it privately but again govt is the one that is not giving them no-objection certificate, so this kills the govt empathy of safety issue.

I cannot remember the name of the slum in Mumbai (the one that is the biggest in Asia).

It is prime real estate and there are several million people living there. I know that the municipal government wants to get them moved out so they can demolish and re-develop it.

@AjeetSinghPunjabi being local boy there should have some unique insight .