Is it worth Meditating When you don't keep kesh?

Guest H.S.j

On 12/24/2018 at 8:04 AM, jakare said:

Buddhists manage to meditate with no hair and they manage to reach big levels of meditation.

Meditate on what though?  Gurbani says follow the Guru's teachings and this applies for every person in creation.  Read Japji sahib and we find, by remaining silent, which is Buddhist meditation,  inner silents is not found.  The Buddhist do not get rid of the ego.  The goal of religion/spirituality is not to meditate but to lose the ego and realize who the self is. The true identity of everyone is Ik Onkar.  How can anyone reach Ik Onkar when the ego is being fed in meditation which is suppose to be a tool to get rid of it?  Mool Mantar says Gur parsad.  And the Buddhist do not have this in meditation.   They are better than rest of the other religions that don't have Gur Parsad because they meditate majority of the time but still lacking as  I described above.

Original poster, the above was addressed to Buddhist but you are in similar position but you have the True Guru to learn from where they don't.  When Sikh meditates on Gurbani with mind fully focused you will notice how the Guru is showing your mistakes and lighting the dark path.  The Nanak naam, singh is right in saying cutting hair is about the ego.  And you are feeding the ego and traveling further away from the Guru as you cut your hair.  A Sikh who eats something to fill an urge of sugar will feel bad after doing it and will deeply think of how the urge came in his mind and will do extra paath to stop the urge.  Now in the Gursikhs mind he did such a big mistake by eating a little bit of sugar. From non spiritual perspective they would think the person is taking life too seriously and needs to take a chill pill.  From his perspective what will he think of himself if he cut his hair?  He rather die than cut his hair.  So from a gursikh perspective how big of a mistake are you making?  You are read Gurbani I take it.  This is a very good and you are on the right path but if you want to progress and receive the Guru's blessing.  Then throw the razor and scissors away and give your mind to the Guru and let The True Guru guide you to Vaheguru. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HumanBeing

Hi/ Sat Sri Akal/ Gurfateh/ Warm Greetings/ Namaste/ Aadaab

I am sorry that I've had to read this question. Why on earth would anyone do that? Especially in our religion, the Guru never taught us to do that. And by 'that' I didn't mean cutting the hair. I don't know where our 'Kaum' is heading towards where people aren't clear about even the basic concepts. I am sure that the moderator would not approve this answer when he reads further but in case he has a confidence in our religion, I hope he has the courage to be open. I would not be commenting or opposing 'Sikhism' in any manner.

I am a sabat surat sikh and I love how I look with the turban. I live in a corporate environment and I don't drink alcohol or eat non-vegetarian food. And none of this has been a rule in my life ever to 'not doing certain things' or 'do certain things'. I am clear that the day I need I eat meat either out of a desire for taste or a biological need, I would go ahead without thinking much. But I would make sure that I don't become addictive of a certain kind of taste and crave for it only for the pleasure of my tongue repeatedly. Simple concept... right?
Not just Gurbani, every kind of religious teaching tell people not be addicted to anything. It's the addiction that causes the problem, not the thing itself. 
This is also metaphorical to alcohol. A sip or two don't harm the body, some studies say that it is beneficial, some medications contain it too. But being in a crave situation is what is bad, and once one starts satisfying ones craving by drinking more and more, it ultimately harms the body too.

Therefore, if you wish to eat meat and like the taste of it, but you are forcing yourself not to eat it because you have set up a rule for yourself (either out of a religion or diet controls or whatever...), it's of no use, just like a mourn without a quite mind is useless. You agree... Right?
We need to work at the root always, as simple as that!

Now coming to the issue of hair, do you people seriously think that 98 percent of the world is going to Hell? Or... the rest of the religious pioneers except our Gurus were not enlightened? 
I see most of the answers coming from people who have never sat for a proper meditation ever, or maybe they are doing something else and calling it meditation. I hope everyone is literate enough to understand that spirituality is not equal to religion. Even a person with no religion can meditate better than the one who is far more religious. 
I see people commenting that Buddhists lack something in their religion and stuff like that... Just for information, meditation is the only thing in this superficial world of religious illusions that doesn't need any rules. It is about the natural state of mind and it is beyond your religious outlook. I have been a person of science always. I still read Gurbani. But I don't rush it every morning like a mantra that when recited or read will do some magic. That's the basic essence of our religion if you remember, "Karamaat" doesn't exist. Guru Nanak Dev ji taught us so. But we guys have made gurbani too a mantra. Japji Sahib for me is a summary of an encyclopedia. Which reminds me of my tiny as well as an important mark in the face of this vast universe and it's nature. 
And just for information, Buddhists shave their heads to represent their lack of interest in worldly desires just like we sikhs keep our hair.
I don't know where the wrong information comes from into our religion. I see people saying that hair acts as an antenna for communicating with God. I mean look at your concepts. On one hand, we agree with Gurbani saying that God is inside and on the other hand we need an antenna to transmit to a distant external God. 

And in case you had meditated rightly, you'd know that you are God himself, you are no different. That's more of a point of being humble than being proud. That's what God does to us once we realize everything is us and nothing is us. 
Hair...? Does that even come into question? I wish you could revisit your concepts. Our kaum truly needs meditation sessions, otherwise we are heading in a very wrong direction owing to the authentic looking frauds who are leading our religion now a days. I wish we all become one. 

Love to all :)
May you all find bliss... :)

On 12/26/2018 at 5:55 AM, Akalifauj said:

Meditate on what though?  Gurbani says follow the Guru's teachings and this applies for every person in creation.  Read Japji sahib and we find, by remaining silent, which is Buddhist meditation,  inner silents is not found.  The Buddhist do not get rid of the ego.  The goal of religion/spirituality is not to meditate but to lose the ego and realize who the self is. The true identity of everyone is Ik Onkar.  How can anyone reach Ik Onkar when the ego is being fed in meditation which is suppose to be a tool to get rid of it?  Mool Mantar says Gur parsad.  And the Buddhist do not have this in meditation.   They are better than rest of the other religions that don't have Gur Parsad because they meditate majority of the time but still lacking as  I described above.

Original poster, the above was addressed to Buddhist but you are in similar position but you have the True Guru to learn from where they don't.  When Sikh meditates on Gurbani with mind fully focused you will notice how the Guru is showing your mistakes and lighting the dark path.  The Nanak naam, singh is right in saying cutting hair is about the ego.  And you are feeding the ego and traveling further away from the Guru as you cut your hair.  A Sikh who eats something to fill an urge of sugar will feel bad after doing it and will deeply think of how the urge came in his mind and will do extra paath to stop the urge.  Now in the Gursikhs mind he did such a big mistake by eating a little bit of sugar. From non spiritual perspective they would think the person is taking life too seriously and needs to take a chill pill.  From his perspective what will he think of himself if he cut his hair?  He rather die than cut his hair.  So from a gursikh perspective how big of a mistake are you making?  You are read Gurbani I take it.  This is a very good and you are on the right path but if you want to progress and receive the Guru's blessing.  Then throw the razor and scissors away and give your mind to the Guru and let The True Guru guide you to Vaheguru. 

How do we assume that Buddhists are full of EGO. ?

yes you should continue to pray and do Naam simran.  without a doubt.  who cares if you trim your beard?

seriously you need to stop watching these things and start studying Gurbani instead.  

do you really think merely having a beard makes someone holy?  seriously?

On 12/24/2018 at 2:31 AM, Guest H.S.j said:

I watched a video about by Nanak naam on this topic but I'm still left very confused. I am wondering if there is even a point to meditate and pray if you trim your beard? 

i don't intend to to trim forever, just for a few years at uni,  I still want to feel connected to sikhi and doing naam and not dm allows me to feel good, but I can't help but feel like I'm lying to myself by balancing a spiritual life and a non spiritual life, I like to devote my 100% to everything I do, am I just being counter productive if I meditate or is it still better than nothing? 

I know now many of you will say stop trimming, and yes I know I will eventually, but while I am doing it, shall I continue to pray and do naam? 

Would appriciate your thoughts? 

We sikhs keep hairs and consider it as a blessing from Parmatama, there are religions who don’t beleive in keeping hairs and religions like jainism- they pull all hairs out.

Sikhi is one way of merging with God

there could be another infinite different ways as well

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, Guest H.S.j said:

I watched a video about by Nanak naam on this topic but I'm still left very confused. I am wondering if there is even a point to meditate and pray if you trim your beard? 

i don't intend to to trim forever, just for a few years at uni,  I still want to feel connected to sikhi and doing naam and not dm allows me to feel good, but I can't help but feel like I'm lying to myself by balancing a spiritual life and a non spiritual life, I like to devote my 100% to everything I do, am I just being counter productive if I meditate or is it still better than nothing? 

I know now many of you will say stop trimming, and yes I know I will eventually, but while I am doing it, shall I continue to pray and do naam? 

Would appriciate your thoughts? 

your making this an issue,

imagine if your kid came up to you, and said, "Whenever I go to school, I cant decide if I want to wear a yellow or blue hat."

your question is so selfish,

16 hours ago, Guest guest said:

yes you should continue to pray and do Naam simran.  without a doubt.  who cares if you trim your beard?

seriously you need to stop watching these things and start studying Gurbani instead.  

do you really think merely having a beard makes someone holy?  seriously?

This where the mona get a holier than everyone complex.  Who are you to tell another to continue cutting hair when Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji says keep hair uncut?  Bring up bhagat kabir ji Bani and I will show you exactly what bhagat ji is saying.  You are a very arrogant person. Had you actually been reading Gurbani, you would have put more thought into writing your post.