"Chand" - Is it a Khanda???

sher_panjabi

wjkk wjkf

MISC-KH-100s.gif

I have seen a lot of Singhs wear a Chand (photo above) on their dastaar, even I have worn one on my dastaar.

I was asked by someone - "What is that?" I said, "A Khanda!" "No it isn't! Where's the Chakar and the Miri Piri Swords are not there, its a moon."

I was stuck what to say,

Later a Singh who (unfortunately) follows/influenced by Snatan Sikhi (no names mentioned) said that the Chand represents "SHIVA".

I was shocked. He said that it represents "SHIV LING" ohmy.gif (Shiv Ling - Hindu's worship the private parts of Shiva to seek strength). He said that khanda in the middle represented Shiva's main male private part and that the things dangling down representing the other part of his privates (i am sure u know wot i mean :wub: )

Then i read Sikh Times a few weeks ago and it said that Sikhs should only put a Khanda on their dastaar and not a Chand because it is not a Khanda and therefore it has no relevance or significane in Sikhi. A Khanda = Chakar, 2 swords and Khanda

Views please?

A giani ji gave me a chand to put on my dastaar as a present few weeks ago. He expects me to wear it to the gurdwara coz he gave it as a present. But i feel uncomfortable wearing it, knowing what i have been told and found out.

Doe

s anyone have any more info?

Thanks

They say a lot of stuff, i was told the same before

I was told by someone that -

trishul.jpg

is ment to be the REAL Khanda :T:

(the hindu Fork looking thingy which idols have)

It's all <admin-profanity filter activated> made up by them - like everything else

Chand looks WICKEEEEEEED :wub:

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

The Hindu item is called Trishul.

The word 'Trishul' is derived from the Sanskrit words, 'Tri' meaning three and 'Shul' meaning a spiked weapon. Indian mythology has it that this three edged spiked weapon was a powerful and all pervasive weapon of Lord Shiva, and was effectively used by him to ward off evil. The 'Trishul' as a weapon has been used ever since then to symbolize the victory of truth and righteousness over evil. According to mythology, surviving the onslaught of the Trishul is impossible.

Before someone goes on to call me nang or something in that direction, i would just like to add some words on the orgin of Khanda.

Khanda - a doublegded sword. It does 'khandan', destruction, from both sides.

The word Khanda is related to the word Khargg (in Chaupai Sahib: Khargg Ket is mentioned...listen to G. Takhur Singh ji's vyakhya)

Khargg - it is also the same as above..it does 'khandan' (to cut through/destroy etc). other words used for a Khargg are Kirpan or Sri Sahib.

Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha tells about the origin of the word Khargg. It is from a Vedic scripture called Dhanurved. According to Vedic religion, Dhanurved is an Upved. As you may know that there are four Vedas, and corresponding to each of them is an upved. So Dhanurved is the upved (subsidiary-ved) for Yajurved.

Dhanurved is the Ved for archery or martial arts, in other words it is the Ved of Shastar Vidya.

And according to their matt, it is said that Shivji gave all the knowledge that is given in Dhanurved.

Bhai Kahn Singh write that:

According to Dhanurved, the bredth of a Khargg should be 5 fingers and the length 50 fingers. There are 32 ways of using a Khargg.

So, i don't know if Chand represents Shivji, but atleast the Khanda has it's "primal" orgin from Vedic scriptures...

Yeah, i think it is somehow related to Shivji also. I am not sure...got no "hard facts", but yes, Shivji did have some chand around him. He was the 'master of whole Indian martial arts' so it is natural that much of the terminology used for bharati weapons can be linked to him. rolleyes.gif

i will try to get hold of something...

Before someone goes on to call me nang or something in that direction, i would just like to add some words on the orgin of Khanda.

Khanda - a doublegded sword. It does 'khandan', destruction, from both sides.

The word Khanda is related to the word Khargg (in Chaupai Sahib: Khargg Ket is mentioned...listen to G. Takhur Singh ji's vyakhya)

Khargg - it is also the same as above..it does 'khandan' (to cut through/destroy etc). other words used for a Khargg are Kirpan or Sri Sahib.

Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha tells about the origin of the word Khargg. It is from a Vedic scripture called Dhanurved. According to Vedic religion, Dhanurved is an Upved. As you may know that there are four Vedas, and corresponding to each of them is an upved. So Dhanurved is the upved (subsidiary-ved) for Yajurved.

Dhanurved is the Ved for archery or martial arts, in other words it is the Ved of Shastar Vidya.

And according to their matt, it is said that Shivji gave all the knowledge that is given in Dhanurved.

Bhai Kahn Singh write that:

According to Dhanurved, the bredth of a Khargg should be 5 fingers and the length 50 fingers. There are 32 ways of using a Khargg.

So, i don't know if Chand represents Shivji, but atleast the Khanda has it's "primal" orgin from Vedic scriptures...

2 things -

1 Either im stupid or

Naive, but i dont see how u reached ur conclusion :wub:

2- Also i don't see why Guru Gobind Singh/guru Hargobind SAhib ji would give us a symbol derived from hindu origin

so let me put it this way -

historically where do we find the word KHANDA; in which historical /puratan SCirpture or research do we first find the term Khanda?

I don't see how ur conclusion of Khanda being related to Khargh, and how u concluded that it can be used in another context :wub:

Also Sikh symbol Khanda , is made up out of the Miri and Piri, and a chakar and the KHanda (double egde sword)

Miri, Piri and Khanda (double egde sword) has a great symbolic in Sikhi , due to histroical events etc, not sure about the chakar tho, might be added later on by someone ( ? )

hence my conclusiuon - the Sikh Symbol 'Khand/chand' w'eva has NO at ALL link to Shiva or any other hindu God, as it simply symbolizes the three Swords which are extremly important in SIkhi... :e:

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!