Jump to content
AjeetSingh2019

Can/Should Sun Tzu's art of war be applied against people in personal life. Would it be anti Sikh values

Recommended Posts

Ever read Sun Tzu's "art of war". He was a Chinese general some 2000 yrs back and he published the said work.

I m quite impressed by some of quotes from that work

He says 

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." 

How would one go on to implement such a thing in real life. Is this a nice arrow in an individuals quiver along with things like

1. Brown nosing

2. Flatter the one who seeks it. 

3. Judge people's weak points based on what they utter from their own mouths.

For instance : a friend kept his WhatsApp status "I don't want money, I don't want fame. I want greatness". It's clear how u milk this person. 

4. Appear all innocent and naive.

5. Passive aggression

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Waheguru. We aren't treacherous! We honourable Sikhs!

Edited by MisterrSingh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

Ever read Sun Tzu's "art of war". He was a Chinese general some 2000 yrs back and he published the said work.

I m quite impressed by some of quotes from that work

He says 

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." 

How would one go on to implement such a thing in real life. Is this a nice arrow in an individuals quiver along with things like

1. Brown nosing

2. Flatter the one who seeks it. 

3. Judge people's weak points based on what they utter from their own mouths.

For instance : a friend kept his WhatsApp status "I don't want money, I don't want fame. I want greatness". It's clear how u milk this person. 

4. Appear all innocent and naive.

5. Passive aggression

 

You are from India, the art of deception comes easy to you guys.

You being from "shehar" are the most cunning of all according to people from the "pind"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

Waheguru. We aren't treacherous! We honourable Sikhs!

By the tone of your post, can't say for sure if you actually mean it or it was a sarcastic attempt.lol

Srsly though, considering that a vast majority of our lot do the opposite in practice to what is taught in principle, it wouldn't be surprising at all if we're a manipulative lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

By the tone of your post, can't say for sure if you actually mean it or it was a sarcastic attempt.lol

Srsly though, considering that a vast majority of our lot do the opposite in practice to what is taught in principle, it wouldn't be surprising at all if we're a manipulative lot

Haha, you got me, bro. I actually typed out something else but deleted it.

As for your second para, I've noticed we're great at screwing each other over, but when it comes to external enemies we suddenly develop a conscience and begin spouting religious sentiments, lol. What's that Punjabi saying: Ghar di billi kare miaow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's another great quote from Tzu (I'm guessing it's from the same book) which states, "When your enemy / opponent is in the middle of making a grave mistake, don't interrupt him." I've always loved this line. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 10:02 AM, AjeetSingh2019 said:

Ever read Sun Tzu's "art of war". He was a Chinese general some 2000 yrs back and he published the said work.

I m quite impressed by some of quotes from that work

He says 

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." 

How would one go on to implement such a thing in real life. Is this a nice arrow in an individuals quiver along with things like

1. Brown nosing

2. Flatter the one who seeks it. 

3. Judge people's weak points based on what they utter from their own mouths.

For instance : a friend kept his WhatsApp status "I don't want money, I don't want fame. I want greatness". It's clear how u milk this person. 

4. Appear all innocent and naive.

5. Passive aggression

 

I collect various books, and The Art Of War is one of them, make sure you have the original translations as well, lol. (I also have Mein Kampf, The Book of 5 Rings and  another book about the samurai.)

I don't think Sikhs judge others as a first.

The lessons from this book should be applied correctly, don't let the book make you become a toxic person, in my opinion  these tactics aren't needed because anybody with a Iq above 5 would know how to deal with people they already don't favor, "Brown nosing" "Flattering" "Judge" "Appear all innocent" "passive aggression"  those are techniques that only weak willed people resort to,  be confident in yourself, deception outside of the battlefield is having a weak spine,  behaving "fake" isn't what the world needs or society requires.

What good would that do to that friend of yours? Just confront him about it, tell him how hypocritical/ego-eccentric that lowkey makes him sound be upfront, be honest.

Edited by KhalistanYouth
Add more things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KhalistanYouth said:

I collect various books, and The Art Of War is one of them, make sure you have the original translations as well, lol. (I also have Mein Kampf, The Book of 5 Rings and  another book about the samurai.)

 

why the heck would you read work written by a violent psychopathic dictator ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

why the heck would you read work written by a violent psychopathic dictator ?

To understand how he became what he did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

To understand how he became what he did.

and how do you know mein kampf was not a deliberate lie by hitler to gather sympathy from others ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

and how do you know mein kampf was not a deliberate lie by hitler to gather sympathy from others ?

Read it yourself and decide. Most of his writing is undisputable historical context to his later actions that can be verified by the history books; the remainder is how his controversial interpretation of history informed his actions.

If you're afraid you may agree with at least half of an idea of his, I find that's where the fear to broach the subject originates. Don't be a coward. Read it. It also helps to have a brief overview of the social and political context of Europe and Germany at the time else most of the work will seem rather abstract.

Edited by MisterrSingh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

and how do you know mein kampf was not a deliberate lie by hitler to gather sympathy from others ?

We don't know but if we do not understand how he came to his conclusions, how will we never be able prevent any red flags that might crop up again.

Some of the best lies are mixed in with truths. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sikhs are given the duty of understanding how others operate on a political, pschological and even spiritual level  . Only a fool would reject finding out about the roots of evil thought processes because it is outside our normal thought process and world view (hopefully). If you know how the other think you can devise effective countermeasures.

The reason we are failing to predict trends before they arrive is because we stopped doing vichar on history, faith, politics and human nature unlike our ancestors,who were able to  strategise andprotect their interests up until the intereference of Ranjit Singh influenced by dogrey

Edited by jkvlondon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 7:32 PM, AjeetSingh2019 said:

Ever read Sun Tzu's "art of war". He was a Chinese general some 2000 yrs back and he published the said work.

I m quite impressed by some of quotes from that work

He says 

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." 

How would one go on to implement such a thing in real life. Is this a nice arrow in an individuals quiver along with things like

1. Brown nosing

2. Flatter the one who seeks it. 

3. Judge people's weak points based on what they utter from their own mouths.

For instance : a friend kept his WhatsApp status "I don't want money, I don't want fame. I want greatness". It's clear how u milk this person. 

4. Appear all innocent and naive.

5. Passive aggression

 

Brother, Know the context of the Book... It's like you are Reading the book but you already have made up an opinion about the book without even knowing the context.

The Book is not about everyday life of a Shopkeeper or a Labor worker, my friend.

This book,in my opinion, is for people who are involved in defenses or who are managing big organizations who often have to face competition in their respective fields... It has nothing against Sikhi because Sikhs under Guru SAhibs have also fought while taking into consideration their advantages and disadvantages and also their opponents' Weaknesses and strong points and exploited them with Full force... 

Be a Sengh, Man... You are thinking like NAAMDHAARIS XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, Amit12 said:

Brother, Know the context of the Book... It's like you are Reading the book but you already have made up an opinion about the book without even knowing the context.

The Book is not about everyday life of a Shopkeeper or a Labor worker, my friend.

This book,in my opinion, is for people who are involved in defenses or who are managing big organizations who often have to face competition in their respective fields... It has nothing against Sikhi because Sikhs under Guru SAhibs have also fought while taking into consideration their advantages and disadvantages and also their opponents' Weaknesses and strong points and exploited them with Full force... 

Be a Sengh, Man... You are thinking like NAAMDHAARIS XD

How come u hv a Hindu sounding name 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • shes from a different community n anotha part of town. abt 15 yrs younger than the female elder as well. so y wud she be keepin their company? seems like she was either abandoned by her own for wateva reason n lost her way. maybe livin rough n desperate before bein targeted. or she knew the place well as a worker or regular customer n wanted a piece of the prize from wat wudve seemed a simple 'transaction'?
    • Sidh Gohst is a Sikh Prayer... (i hope u weren't being sarcastic)? Prayer came about when Guru Nanak Ji had an assembly (gohst) with Sidhs, hence the name Sidh Gohst. The prayer is like a Q&A session where Sidhs ask n Guru Ji answers... NOW! Who been telling me to stick t learning about Sidh Gohst?? 😔
    • Get a normal bike n ride it. Road bike u can go far n fast so it's advantageous. Second bike type, ideal for short distant travelling n cycle at own leisure... Totally forgot wha the types called though I own one. Not mountain bike something else.
    • Is that Harpreet's mugshot? Lol! We need to understand y they committed a crime. Obviously for money but what lead them? For their age appears they had a hard life or "hard" life (depends how u look at it) and thas it! They understood the phenomenon of dog eat dog world. So they took a drastic step and failed... Of course they could've succeeded.
    • and also, as your next post alludes to, naamdharis also take khanday dee pahul, and actually most of them do compared to "us" mainstream sikhs. naamdharis are also much closer to rehit than some of these jathabandis we have now corrupt the panth since colonial times. However naamdharis are missing the kshatriya rehit of khalsa, ie the warrior maryada. I think a lot of "sikh" children would easily get influenced by christian schools due to lack of sikhi knowledge, and this includes those who go to these schools in India as well Yes, Khalsa sikhs used to learn from other sikh sampradaiye as well when it came to spiritual gyaan and sikhi knowledge. Obviously for learning there are no strict rules, however other rules are different for khalsa sikhs as they need to follow the military rules as well compared to sehajdhari "civilian" sikhs. And this is funny, but would learning from a harmonium teacher harm your sikhi, as it takes you away from learning sikh/Gurus' instruments? I would find it harmful for someone to teach that crazy keertan which plays at many rehnsbhais, 🤣😂
×

Important Information

Terms of Use