Some words about the Sahibzadas' Shaheedi

Simran9

I juz wanted to say something about the shaheedi of the Sahibzadas which is remembered on Dec 17th...

In Punjab, district Patiala (i think), at Gurdwara Fatehgarh sahib where the younger sahibzadas were bricked alive.....there is a large turnout of ppl who come here to be there for the programs in their memory...

Sad thing is, our people are calling it a MELA. When somone is asked "Where are you going?" Person says "I'm going to see the MELA at Fatehgarh Sahib."

Folks this is NOT A MELA! Sahibzadas gave their life, were bricked alive....and now that day has turned into a MELA?! The day when ppl go to Fatehgarh Sahib to remember the sahibzadas shaheedi, when they go to the spot where that wall was....ppl ought to matha tek to that spot...and think about what/who the sahibzadas obtained their shaheedi for. ^_^

but of course....the day has turned into a "JORH MELA".....or something like that it's called :wub:

So don't call it a MELA...Any day marking a shaheedi is NOT A MELA. Our history has turned into a joke... :wub: :@ @

I agree with you Simran9.

The shaheedi week should be a solemn occasion, not a party.

It’s ridiculous how people in Punjab can be so insensitive. Either that, or they just don’t understand what they are observing.

My dada tells me that back in his days the mood of the people would be very sad in those days. Many people would eat very little during those days.

Now they have jalebis, dancers, rides and balloons.

In my opinion, a Sikh should have tears in his eyes on those days.

Remember the strength of those young children of Guru Gobind Singh ji, as they are our brothers.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

In my opinion, a Sikh should have tears in his eyes on those days.
Kabeer Ji says dont cry when a saint dies as they are just returning to their home.
It’s ridiculous how people in Punjab can be so insensitive. Either that, or they just don’t understand what they are observing.

Its not only in punjab simran Bhenji - this sort of thing is happening all over the world!!! ohmy.gifno.gif :wub: :lol: . If you ask a small sikh child what happened on december 25th/26th they will say its

Chirstmas day - but they forget about their own religion. And this isnt only restricted to young children also old people forget. It is very upsetting :wub: :@

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

Our history has turned into a joke...

Its our fault our history has turned into a joke :lol: @ :@ @ :@ @ :@ @

The only way we can change this is, by educating people about the unique maryrdom of the chotte sahibzade which is unparallel in history!!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh

The district is not Patiala.. Fatehgarh Sahib is a district itself.

And yes, I agree to the Johr Mela issue. My mom's family happens to be from Fatehgarh Sahib district so I do know a lot about what happens there during these days. Until we were living in Punjab, we'd go visit our naanke every year during these days and stay there for these days. As a kid I never understood these things but I do remember how little respect people paid to the shaheedi of Chote Sahibzaade. Although everytime we went the Gurdwara Sahib would be full of sangatta, but outside in crowd, you could come across people picking pockets of other people. And many others could be seen doing "cher-char" with Bibiaa. There is no control over who gets to drive cars or busses in the crowd, as anyone with relatives with a high status job would get stickers for their car so they could drive around and see the 'mela' while sitting the car. And most people only visit it to shop around as people from all over India, and even from neighboring countries put up their stalls. Throughout the mela you would come across hundreds of big chandols or jhule (swings). There are motor/magical and many other types of shows and displays...

Too much for the goofing around, there is some parchar done aswell! Yes, you could see Parkash Badal's party delivering speeches in one hall, and in the other adjacent hall or diwan, it would be the party of S. Simranjit Singh Mann. All the different political parties get to set up their diwans up where they get to attract sangat for their own views!!! That's about it fo

r the big part.. in small parts you get to see small tents setup by Nihung Singhs where they sell the 'Dubae Deaa Ticktaa" or bhang and even shardaae...

That's not all which needs to be worked on.. I can probably sit here for another hour trying to thank back and gather more memories..

Since my mom comes from a very religious family.. it was always deeply stressed that that we respect and remember the kurbani of our elder brothers... My grand parents would not sleep on bed and rather sleep on the cold floor just out of respect for the kurbani of Mata Gujar Kaur Ji and Chote Sahibzaade as they were goign through these things in those days.. They would always leave at amritvela for the diwans at the Gurdwara Sahib and come back late doing seva. I was always forced by my parents to stand in line so I could matha teak at all the different Gurdwara Sahibs there.. I never really understood it back then.. but now when I look back.. I do realize that that after spending years at this 'mela' I was atleast able to do something good...

vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh

There are different ways of celebrating occasions, some sensible, others not.

Dont forget it is said that Guru Ji did not shed tears at the news of the martyrdom of his children, but did jakareah in happiness, just as he did when his elder sons fellin battle before his eyes.

I think we should be both sad, and incredibly happy that we have such great role models to look up to! Their shaheedi is both a time for remberance, but also celebration that rightousnous will always stand up against evil!

I been there (Sirhind) during the actual celebrations and much of what you say is true. In fact it may be worse than many of you can imagine without seeing it with your own eyes as our brother has pointed out. Id rather not go into that, as it still makes my blood boil.

But there are also many sangat there who do come with the right reasons in their hearts. I remember being stopped miles and miles out from the gurdwara sahib and not being allowed to dive on until we had langar, the singhs begged that we let them do seva on this mahan day, that guru ji might at least be pleased with them for feeding his yatrees.

:wub: and then we got stopped every 100 metres after that but thats aside from the point! I have a few pics from 2 yrs ago, will try and find them, there were around 2 million over the 3 days there when i visited.