India/Punjab OCI card

Big_Tera

Anyone know about the application process for a OCI card? Also what are the benefits of obtaining one?

I was interested in buying some property in Punjab. But at the moment no foreigner is allowed to buy unless they get this OCI card. This is suppose to give people of Indian origin all the rights as those that were born there. Such as being able to travel visa free, opening business ect..But it's quite costly I heard and not sure about the limitations. 

It's all done online, veer ji, bhaji. ?

I did it a couple of years back, and I got a lifetime visa, too. It's surprisingly straightforward and hassle free considering how Indians use to complicate things with these types of applications. Thoroughly read the accompanying notes, and you'll be ok.

In terms of benefits, it's good to get an oci if you've got some land that will one day be passed down to you, because it means you'll be able to claim it without any dodgy red tape and loopholes that relatives over there might exploit to shut you out. As for the lifetime visa, I don't go to India too often, but i don't like the hassle of taking a day off work and queuing up to get one at the last minute, so in that regard it's handy.

I have one as well     i had to go to the some visa center in hounslow though to give the finished application to them. Woman at the desk was b1tch and i ended up arguing with her.  

it looks like a passport. 

its useful for property and stuff like that,  my dad also made a thing called adhaar card for me   not sure what that is though lol 

On 2/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, Big_Tera said:

Anyone know about the application process for a OCI card? Also what are the benefits of obtaining one?

I was interested in buying some property in Punjab. But at the moment no foreigner is allowed to buy unless they get this OCI card. This is suppose to give people of Indian origin all the rights as those that were born there. Such as being able to travel visa free, opening business ect..But it's quite costly I heard and not sure about the limitations.

That sounds good as one thing was put off by is the usual Indian complicated  procedures they normally have for such things. 

The life time visa would be good as I travel alot to India. Usually on holidays so would save the hassle of constantly having to get a visa. Might aswell take advantage of this. 

Will try to apply soon as may be off their in a few months time. Hopefully the card arrived by then. As not sure how long it takes to process ect. 

On 2/2/2020 at 5:11 PM, puzzled said:

I have one as well     i had to go to the some visa center in hounslow though to give the finished application to them. Woman at the desk was b1tch and i ended up arguing with her.  

its useful for property and stuff like that,  my dad also made a thing called adhaar card for me   not sure what that is though lol 

Theres also a pan card and yeh also heard of the adhaar card. Funny name. But heard it's quite useful to have. 

Buying property in India is complicated process though. Especially if your going to rent it out. You have to fill in tax returns and other documents. Which is what puts me off buying a house there. 

On 2/2/2020 at 5:11 PM, puzzled said:

Indian admin in UK are obnoxious. I start out polite but when they start chucking bukwaas my way I respond in kind. I hate being that guy who gets shirty with people doing a job, but they have no idea about courtesy.

The adhar card is handy, too, but I never bothered with it because I don't think I need one.

40 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Indian admin in UK are obnoxious. I start out polite but when they start chucking bukwaas my way I respond in kind. I hate being that guy who gets shirty with people doing a job, but they have no idea about courtesy.

The adhar card is handy, too, but I never bothered with it because I don't think I need one.

They must get a power trip from putting anyone down for the smallest of things. 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

They are very rude,  and it's as if they deliberately are being rude.  None of them are from the uk,  I think they have been flown in from India to work at these Visa places. 

The woman I had was so rude and had a nasty attitude, i got pissed off and turned my plastic wallet with the papers in upside down in front of her and the papers fell out and went all over her desk and she had to gather them up   Lol I know that's rude   but she was being a sh1t      I really lost my cool with her.