Kirpans at School

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I am planning on taking amrit soon, but the question that i have for most singhs and singhnees is:

are we allowed to wear kirpans at school?

do we have to get special permission?

if we are not allowed to wear them to school then, how do you resolve that?

Please post you answers ASAP.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

the first question is.. where do u live?

I live in California and have been wearing a 9 inch sri sahib under my shirt for a couple of years without anyone noticing it.. and I know of some youth from Canada who even wear sri sahib on top of their shirts at school and at work.. so it depends on where u live.. and also.. what grade are you in?

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I'm in Edmonton (canada), and I've never had any problems... I took amrit in Gr 10, but then again I didn't tell anyone about it.

Take a look and see if there are any cases where a kirpan exists in your jurisdiction... that would probably be the best way to tell if its accepted or not. (Like I know in the states they have a HUGE problem :wub: @ ... I heard on the news that this 10 yr old girl was handcuffed and taken away in philidelphia from her school cause she brought a pair of scissers to school... so yeah :wub: )

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I heard on the news that this 10 yr old girl was handcuffed and taken away in philidelphia from her school cause she brought a pair of scissers to school

wow, in the states ohmy.gif

thats amazing, cause i heard down there in the states, theres this one senator that wants to make it ok for people to bring guns into bars :wub:

(true story, heard it on the daily show)

I heard on the news that this 10 yr old girl was handcuffed and taken away in philidelphia from her school cause she brought a pair of scissers to school

wow, in the states ohmy.gif

thats amazing, cause i heard down there in the states, theres this one senator that wants to make it ok for people to bring guns into bars :wub:

(true story, heard it on the daily show)

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

yuup... very interesting. down there, they have the "constitutionally guaranteed right to bear arms - they bring a gun, its ok. but scissors? noooo waaay!!!

vwih

gurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Yes its ok to wear kirpans at school. I live in calgary, and I wear my kirpan, not over my shirt, but its not tucked in either. So people see it and they know I wear one. Nobody has ever asked me to take it off. Kids often ask you what it is and why your wearing it, but when you tell them they're like ohh cool...and they treat you with lots of respect..so..dont worry!! :TH:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

i m in 10th grade, in the bay area of california. But i think the problem might be that the other punjabi students at our school have kind of given a bad name to Sikhi...so they might think that I m part of the "Punjabi Gang"...i m not making excuses i m just giving u all more information of my situation

and there never have been amritdhari sikhs in our entire school so i will be first...and i m the only girl in our whole school district that wears a dastaar.

another problem is that i hav a younger (7 yr. old) sister who will also take amrit...does SHE have to wear the kirpan to school or is it all right for little kids to not wear it?

Please help...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Kids of that age are usually given 'chula' instead of amrit. With chola you are bascially initiated into the Khalsa Panth, but however you are not held accountable for wearing all the 5 kakaars at all times, but this rehit including all others are adviced to be practised as much as possible because the next step after chula is to take Khanda baate ki pahul.

And, there are many Kaurs who wear dastars and sri sahibs to schools in the bay area. There are many from your area who actually even post on this forum.. so if you are looking for any advice from them directly just keep an eye on Daughter of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Hadd-Torr Singh, Guru Ji Di Pyari, Ikonkar Kaur, and Gupat Singhni.

You can also get to know more of the youth from the bay area by visiting the programs listed on www.ekhalsa.com