Sign in to follow this  
dharamyudh

Khyaal Podcast: The Darbar of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji

Really interesting podcast. Puratan Sikhs used to place an emphasis on the importance of knowledge. The podcast dives into the role of the kavis in the court of Anandpur Sahib. Kavis were from all across India, translating Sanskrit, Persian/Arabic literature. They also majored in various different fields such as political science, poetry, governing an empire and much more. Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji Maharaj set up this darbar at the age of 14, sending his Sikhs to various locations across India to bring those with knowledge to the darbar, establishing Anandpur Sahib as a hub for education. This lasted for about 25 years. The court was filled with Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs. All of this was done for the sole purpose of knowledge and teaching. The collapse of these institutions was a result from the siege of Sri Anandpur Sahib where many of the kavis fled or became shaheed defending it. A lot of the literature has been lost or destroyed because of the battle. However, a lot of the books/literature still remain.  

Probably one of the most well known, Bhai Nand Lal Ji also known as Nand Lal Goya. Composed beautiful work. Posting a little bit of it on here. 

A bit of the Q&A with Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj:

Ghazal - Dil Agar: 

Faiz E Noor:

Guftgu Eh Khaas:

4 minutes ago, dharamyudh said:

Probably one of the most well known, Bhai Nand Lal Ji also known as Nand Lal Goya. He also basically had a Q&A with Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj. 

I'v got that on my phone, its really beautiful. 

Was Bhai Nand Lal a Hindu? 

23 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I'v got that on my phone, its really beautiful. 

Was Bhai Nand Lal a Hindu? 

I believe he was born a Hindu from the Khatri caste. He was also from Ghazni, Afghanistan. Later became a devout Sikh of the Guru. 

47 minutes ago, dharamyudh said:

I believe he was born a Hindu from the Khatri caste. He was also from Ghazni, Afghanistan. Later became a devout Sikh of the Guru. 

ooh ok coz iv read different things, some say he was Hindu, while others say he became a Sikh later in his life.

I actually think he worked in aurangzebs court as a poet b4

On 7/11/2020 at 2:15 PM, puzzled said:

ooh ok coz iv read different things, some say he was Hindu, while others say he became a Sikh later in his life.

I actually think he worked in aurangzebs court as a poet b4

From what I was taught, he was a part of Aurangzeb's court. He had an incredible knowledge regarding the quran, and blew Aurangzeb away when describing an arth. Aurangzeb wanted to convert him, if he refused, he would've been killed. He sought refuge at the darbar of Anandpur Sahib. And the rest is history. 

We know Aurangzeb was so moved by the Zafarnama that he sought Darshan of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. You ever wonder if he made the mistake of voicing to his entourage he intended to convert to Sikhi and it wasn't natural health decline that prevented the darshan?

On 7/11/2020 at 7:47 PM, GurjantGnostic said:

We know Aurangzeb was so moved by the Zafarnama that he sought Darshan of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. You ever wonder if he made the mistake of voicing to his entourage he intended to convert to Sikhi and it wasn't natural health decline that prevented the darshan?

I've always thought about that! Aurangzeb wanted darshan of Guru Ji after reading the letter. There could be a possibility of that happening. Imagine if he actually met Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji! How would history look afterwards? 

21 hours ago, dharamyudh said:

From what I was taught, he was a part of Aurangzeb's court. He had an incredible knowledge regarding the quran, and blew Aurangzeb away when describing an arth. Aurangzeb wanted him to convert him, if he refused, he would've been killed. He sought refuge at the darbar of Anandpur Sahib. And the rest is history. 

Bhai Nand Lal was a hindu but was well read in all the granths of his faith and the quran because he could read farsi and arabic . One day Aurangzeb wanted the arth given to him of some passage but was not satisfied with the arth explained simplisticly by the Qazi , so he cried out who can give the proper arth, Bhai Nand Lal explained the arth in such a way that it won over Aurangzeb's mind . When he enquired as to who this person was , he was informed he is a kuffar , so then Aurangzeb hatched the plan to have Bhai Nand Lal to be converted to islam . This is when Bhai Nand Lal ran to Guru ji's Sharan and yes he did becomme Khalsa too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Bhai Nand Lal was a hindu but was well read in all the granths of his faith and the quran because he could read farsi and arabic . One day Aurangzeb wanted the arth given to him of some passage but was not satisfied with the arth explained simplisticly by the Qazi , so he cried out who can give the proper arth, Bhai Nand Lal explained the arth in such a way that it won over Aurangzeb's mind . When he enquired as to who this person was , he was informed he is a kuffar , so then Aurangzeb hatched the plan to have Bhai Nand Lal to be converted to islam . This is when Bhai Nand Lal ran to Guru ji's Sharan and yes he did becomme Khalsa too.

Bhai Nand Lal Ji got initiated into the Khalsa? Some have told me that he received charan amrit. 

On 7/12/2020 at 3:11 AM, dharamyudh said:

I've always thought about that! Aurangzeb wanted darshan of Guru Ji after reading the letter. There could be a possibility of that happening. Imagine if he actually met Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji! How would history look afterwards? 

I wouldn't have put it past him to try an assassination attempt. That's what it looks like his successor did.  

7 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I wouldn't have put it past him to try an assassination attempt. That's what it looks like his successor did.  

Exactly, that's the thing with Aurangzeb. He was a Islamic fundamentalist. But we'll never really know. Jahangir and Shah Jahan eventually realized.