Hate crime, England and Wales, 2020 to 2021

Premi5

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2020-to-2021/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2020-to-2021

Official Statistics

Hate crime, England and Wales, 2020 to 2021

Published 12 October 2021

Frequency of release: Annual

Forthcoming release: Home Office statistics release calendar

Home Office responsible statistician: John Flatley

Press enquires: pressoffice@homeoffice.gov.uk, Telephone: 0300 123 3535

Public enquires: crimeandpolicestats@homeoffice.gov.uk

This release contains statistics about hate crime offences recorded by the police in England and Wales.

Key results

• in year ending March 2021, there were 124,091 hate crimes recorded by the police in England and Wales
  • excluding Greater Manchester Police who did not supply data for year ending March 2020 there was a 9 per cent increase compared with the previous year
hate-crime-2021-01.png
  • increases in police recorded hate crime in recent years have been driven by improvements in crime recording and a better identification of what constitutes a hate crime
  • as in previous years, the majority of hate crimes were racially motivated, accounting for around three-quarters of such offences (74%; 85,268 offences); these types of hate crime increased by 12 per cent between year ending March 2020 and year ending March 2021

1. Introduction

1.1 Overview

This statistical bulletin provides information on the number of hate crimes recorded by the police in England and Wales in year ending March 2021. Data for Greater Manchester Police have been excluded from any year-on-year comparisons within this bulletin as they were unable to supply data for year ending March 2020 following the implementation of a new IT system in July 2019.

1.2 Hate crimes recorded by the police

Hate crime is defined as ‘any criminal offence which is perceived, by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice towards someone based on a personal characteristic.’ This common definition was agreed in 2007 by the police, Crown Prosecution Service, Prison Service (now the National Offender Management Service) and other agencies that make up the criminal justice system. There are five centrally monitored strands of hate crime:

• race or ethnicity
  • religion or beliefs
  • sexual orientation
  • disability
  • transgender identity

Table 2.2: Number and proportion of religious hate crimes recorded by the police1, by the perceived targeted religion, year ending March 2020

Numbers and percentages   England and Wales
Perceived religion of the victim Number of offences 2020/21 % 2020/21
Buddhist 23 0
Christian 521 9
Hindu 166 3
Jewish 1,288 22
Muslim 2,703 45
Sikh 112 2
Other 351 6
No religion 174 3
Unknown 926 16

Total number of targeted religions 6,264  
Total number of offences 5,948  

Harlow, Great Yarmouth and Barking and Dagenham are among 52 authorities at risk from far-right extremism, anti-racist group warns

• Hope not Hate, an advocacy group, have analysed areas most affected by Covid
  • Economic hardship caused by the pandemic could 'fuel community tensions'
  • Top 16 most 'at risk' areas include Blackpool, Liverpool, Luton and Thurrock
  • The 52 areas have 'less liberal' attitudes towards migration and multiculturalism

Researchers have identified the areas in England and Wales most at risk of becoming hotbeds for right-wing extremism as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic and its economic fallout.

The analysis of 336 councils returned a list of 52 areas where community tensions and far-right support are forecast to surge.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10149675/Harlow-Luton-Barking-Dagenham-52-authorities-risk-far-right-extremism.html

50 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Harlow, Great Yarmouth and Barking and Dagenham are among 52 authorities at risk from far-right extremism, anti-racist group warns

• Hope not Hate, an advocacy group, have analysed areas most affected by Covid
  • Economic hardship caused by the pandemic could 'fuel community tensions'
  • Top 16 most 'at risk' areas include Blackpool, Liverpool, Luton and Thurrock
  • The 52 areas have 'less liberal' attitudes towards migration and multiculturalism

Researchers have identified the areas in England and Wales most at risk of becoming hotbeds for right-wing extremism as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic and its economic fallout.

The analysis of 336 councils returned a list of 52 areas where community tensions and far-right support are forecast to surge.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10149675/Harlow-Luton-Barking-Dagenham-52-authorities-risk-far-right-extremism.html

A report by campaign group Hope not Hate has revealed the 16 local authorities most at risk of seeing surges in far-right extremism due to economic fallout from the pandemic

Okay, so just from my general knowledge, the following have little to no Sikhs 5, 6, 8, 12-16

3, 12, 14, 15, 16 many Pakistanis

1-4 small number of Sikhs

7 has large number of Sikhs, Pakistanis and other south Asian and Africans

9-11 are the big worries for Sikhs since they are very prominent there , much more than other Asians or Muslims (I could be wrong)

22 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

A report by campaign group Hope not Hate has revealed the 16 local authorities most at risk of seeing surges in far-right extremism due to economic fallout from the pandemic

Okay, so just from my general knowledge, the following have little to no Sikhs 5, 6, 8, 12-16

3, 12, 14, 15, 16 many Pakistanis

1-4 small number of Sikhs

7 has large number of Sikhs, Pakistanis and other south Asian and Africans

9-11 are the big worries for Sikhs since they are very prominent there , much more than other Asians or Muslims (I could be wrong)

Plus I think the latent problem is probably being underplayed too. Probably a good few other areas should be in that list too. For racist working class goray, this is their time. 

I agree with your point about 9-11. But then, I'm not really surprised. I think apnay have been begrudgingly tolerated. Let's see how they react if things get tasty for them. Apnay have gone so weak and passive these days, probably do them good to get tested.    

45 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I agree with your point about 9-11. But then, I'm not really surprised. I think apnay have been begrudgingly tolerated. Let's see how they react if things get tasty for them. Apnay have gone so weak and passive these days, probably do them good to get tested.    

Not sure about that. Sikhs are quite well integrated in Wolverhampton for example. I have uncles who have worked with and have goray friends. I think there is a difference than maybe in Birmingham or even London, where a lot of the Sikh populations live in little 'ghettos'

But, there might be some jealousy/resentment from some goray because Sikhs are 'successful' (and often flaunt it). 

Probably what is happening in some of the areas more than others is that there is resentment towards some of the newer immigrants e.g. from middle East, Africa and Eastern Europe. I think even our people can be like that