Norwalk planned Gurdwara

Premi5

On 12/9/2021 at 11:23 AM, GurjantGnostic said:

Norwalk is...California...perfect

1 hour ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Norwalk. Quick Google is in Los Angeles County.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwalk,_California

According to Wikipedia, the non Hispanic white is a minority but looking at the names of the Council, they seem to be Hispanic. 

70 percent of Norwalk's population is Hispanic. 

California is a big state and there is vast differences between different areas.

The Punjabi and Sikh population seems to be centred in the Central Valley area and the more Northern areas towards the Bay Area and Yuba City.

The Southern California Punjabi Sikhs (the ones I know of) seem to be different from the Sikhs from other parts of California. They seem to have some animosity towards the Bay Area Sikhs for some reason.

This Gurdwara would have no problems in the more Central and northern areas as the Sikh community as I think that the community is more established there .

It seems the Sureno Hispanics seem to have an issue (my perception ) whereas Norte types may not.

This is my perception not facts.

Norwalk, Connecticut...

• 1 month later...

https://www.thehour.com/news/article/Norwalk-OKs-new-Sikh-religious-center-but-16767437.php

Norwalk OKs new Sikh religious center, but opposing neighbors say fight isn’t over

Jan. 11, 2022

Opposition signs across the street from a vacant lot at 283 Richards Ave. Tuesday, December 7, 2021, in Norwalk, Conn.

Opposition signs across the street from a vacant lot at 283 Richards Ave. Tuesday, December 7, 2021, in Norwalk, Conn.

Erik Trautmann / Hearst Connecticut Media

NORWALK — After months of contentious debate and hours of public hearing and discussion, the Zoning Commission approved the application for a new Sikh religious center in West Norwalk. However, some neighbors have voiced efforts to continue fighting the project.

The building, to be built at 283 Richards Ave. was approved Thursday in a 5-1 vote, with commissioner Richard Roina as the sole dissenting vote.

The Sikh religious center — called a gurudwara — will be comprised of two main floors and a finished basement, totaling about 18,000 square feet, according to application document

The gurudwara will be run by Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji Foundation, which opened its West Avenue location more than 20 years ago. The foundation purchased the 1-acre Richards Avenue plot in November 2020 for $275,000, according to city land records.

“Putting aside fear and conjecture and speculation and unsubstantiated claims, the comments from the public relate to four areas: Traffic use, density, parking and impact on property values,” said attorney Liz Suchy, who represents the foundation.

As part of the application, the foundation had a third party conduct a traffic study, assuring the commission there would be no significant impact to the area, particularly as the gurudwara’s busiest times are Friday evening and Sunday morning, when there is little traffic.

The center will be capable of seating 240 people, though most services are attended by about 60 people, Suchy has said. The parking lot will include 53 spaces.

A live-in priest will inhabit one of two bedrooms planned for the building, while the other will be reserved for traveling guest speakers and performers, Suchy said.

Leading up to the decision, hundreds of people wrote to the commission, both in opposition to and support of the project, with concerns over traffic generated by the temple and the lack of parking, despite the project meeting all requirements for a religious special permit in a residential zone.

“I have to agree with attorney Suchy that they meet all of the requirements for a special permit,” commission Chair Louis Schulman said. “So, for me this is not difficult. What is difficult was listening to as many hours as we did of comments from the public which included so much misinformation, and not necessarily purposeful misinformation.”

Commissioner Galen Wells echoed Schulman, adding many of the residents who spoke against the project may have been unknowingly uninformed.

“I know a lot of the people who spoke against the project — and they’re good people, I don’t think they’re bigots or narrow-minded — but I think sometimes they were mistaken. A lot of these fears just will not come to fruition,” Wells said. “I live very close to the proposed temple and I drive all the time past that corner. I understand during rush hour it’s got lots of traffic. It’s very difficult, but the temple is only going to create traffic on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons. I know from my experience there’s no traffic at those times.”

In addition to the letters sent to the city, a group of neighbors in the Richards Avenue area gathered more than 600 signatures for a petition not to approve the building, spearheaded in part by Kelly Danziger, who lives across the street from the project.

6 hours ago, Premi5 said:

know a lot of the people who spoke against the project — and they’re good people, I don’t think they’re bigots or narrow-minded — but

They are. 

You know what causes traffic? Sporting good stores,, shoprite, homedepot, chick fila...oh what's this ..a church and jewISH temple?

Gtfo. Lol. You know who'd have had better luck? 3ho. No complaints then. And the white people would be lining up in yoga pants. 

Bigots. 

Screenshot_20220112-184948_Maps.thumb.jpg.74a5797364cfec84588372765aa4d8dc.jpg