SIKH STUDENTS ASSOCIATION AT MCGILL UNI (MTL)

Heera Singh

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh..!!

Sangat jee, my brother Lives in Montreal and goes to McGill University. He is head of the Sikh Students association there. This is their first year of operation. He was talkin to me about having a baisakhi celebration at the university close to the end of march (they don't know the exact date).. I was wondering what sort of thing should/could they do as part of the celebration... thingz that would also attract people from other faiths as well... there's gonna be the normal gatka and speaches n stuff.. but what else could you guyz suggest...??? He also requested that singhs and singhnia from outside to attend this event as there aren't that many Gursikhs (that he knows of) in the montreal area. If anybody knows any peepz in mtl, please let me know and let them know of this event. This event is going to be a combination of both McGill Uni. and Concordia Uni. Students (both in the downtown mtl area) So if anybody has any suggestions or would like to do seva/participate in this event, please let me know.

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh.!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

What if they had like displays set up... one showcasing the 5 K's, then maybe some nice swords set up (in cases that are locked up though)...

i dont know how the sangat would take this but i remember someone talking about a "fashion show" but with like bana.. and then a person would go through the different things, like the dastaar and what it stands for... and the kamar kasa.. so its a good way to show people what each thing is.. i gues fashion show is not the right word.. but you get the idea... its not like ur strutten ur stuff... i hope the sangat gets what im saying by this .... i dont mean ne disrespect.. its just a nice way to educate people ..

neway back to the topic... you could have some books for people to look at... maybe have a reading section, where one person can read stories to little kids... like in small groups or something... (if there are going to be little kids) maybe u guys can set up a competition or something, like best Sikhi drawing or picture.. and then award a prize on the day ... ....

hope that helps....

pul chuk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Those are some good responses....

i would suggest you get everyone involved as well.. like maybe do some fun sport events, but at the same time you got something going on elsewhere..

.. example .. you got a movie showing about shaheeds, and at another end you got a group of people involved in games..

.. will this be all indoor or outdoor.. on second thought .. the location is essential ...

... well just msg me on msn we will talk more :e:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

One of our SikhSangat forum members is Santbir Singh. He lives in [edited: VANCOUVER, not Montreal] but he used to be involved in the McGill University SSA. Please search his name in the members list and PM him as he might have some experience in this regard.

BCSikhYouth.com and CASikhYouth.com might be good places to look.

Also there are so many SSA's out there, you could search "Sikh Students Association" on Google and go to their websites to find what events they are doing.

Hope this helps!

In the Spirit of Panthic Ektha & Chardee Kalaa,

ADMIN Sevadaars

SikhSangat.com

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

Ummm.. i think my brother was sayin its gonna be indoors on a stage or something.. because nebody who's been to or lived in mtl knows they have some crazy winters... i's gonna be way too cold to have it outside.. so i'm pretty sure i's inside...btw.. the whole showing the bana and what it represents i's a good idea... and books about sikhi sound good...

I will try to get in contact with Santbir Singh... is he still LIVING in mtl at this point?? if he is.. that would be AMAZING.. i can refer him over to my brother and they can go for a cup of cha and discuss this.. hahaha... newhoo... u guyz rock... more ideas would be great..!!!!

Don't forget food... i dont know if u mentioned that already, but punjabi food is the best :umm:

maybe u guys can have langar set up for everyone....

oooh ... maybe u guys can have a room where everyone does simran... like not on vajaa, but just sit and say Waheguru, you'd be surprised to see how many people of other cultures will find this interesting to watch and take part in. besides that, you guys get to do simran.

you can also have something set up in where you can write different definitions of Waheguru... There are a lot of definitions and it would be cool to have them written out that people can read... like a board or something.... you should also have Mool Mantar and the translation for that up... then have someone there who can talk more about this and explain to people who are there... maybe go more into the history then....

good luck :cool:

i know some may disagree

but include samosay.... it brings people, and maybe you'll have enough interesting stuff to interest them... cuz trust me..with samosay, you'll get alootta ppl who'll basically just come for the food.... and then jettttt.. but even if you can "convert" 3 of 30 who come, and have them look around, i think it's still successful..

here's a post by singhnee~22 from this thread:

every year at the university of calgary, we do Sikh Youth Week, where we make huge trifolds of information, and ppl from uni come by and read all the information, we get people to play gatka as well, and distaar tieing etc etc...

check this website out:

http://groups.msn.com/dashmeshmissionsyoc/...snw?albumlist=2

click on pictues, and all the way down to sikh&panjabi week 2002

Santbir Singh doesn't live in Montreal anymore but if you try emailing him he would most likely be willing to help out.