Kirpan***emergency

SarabLoh

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

veerji mine is very sharp .... we showed them a blunt one to argue our case or the time being .... would u rather have me show them my normal very sharp kirpan and have more of a hassel or show them a blunt one ... be able to wear my kirpan in school and i can go back back to my normal one with out any one knowing

now answer this question ...... would u rather me have a sharp kirpan sitting at home... and keep small 4 inch(like 2 inch dull blade sharp tip) around my neck and another one i have kept hiddin which is sharp and no one is aware about on me ......... or........ show them the blunt one get my right to wear a kirpan again and then go back to the normal one

Nice to hear that broo.. just take the small kirpan of 6 or 7 inch if they want to do inspection.

Friend of mine in California high school is allowed to have kirpan but under one condition which is that the kirpan has to be glued.. and thats the only legal way to wear em in cali public school system.

Here's the pix of his kirpan

kir.gif

Guru Te Bharosa Rakho. I have had many problems- fights, suspensions, arrests and what not. but here are some of my experiences regarding Kirpan though not any inspirational stuff but Guru ang sang.

kirpan has to be glued

I was given this option twice, once in high school and once in college. In high school, vice principal wouldn't even let me go to my classes. she came in the classroom and told me to go sit in her office because I was wearing a "dagger" so I did. at the meetings she spoke against kirpan, raised her left arm and said "kirpan cannot be allowed, it is a big issue and must be resolved" and said some words I didn't understand. they told me to wear smaller kirpan or get it glued. I refused to do so. they said they will mess up my record and call in the police. I said do whatever you want. I will stop coming to school but would never wear anything smaller or different. even my parents did not support me in this. they told me to wear smaller kirpan which was like 3". being in that situation I did ardaas to Guru Ji for help. next day I went to school and went straight to my class instead of sitting in vice principal's office. during lunch, see saw me eating and came up to me but spoke to me very nicely. she had her left arm broken (the same arm she raised against kirpan). I asked her what happened and she said last night she slipped in front of her garage and broke her arm. then principal called me in his office. my dad and another guy was there. my dad had 3" kirpan in his pocket to show them that i had agreed to wear this ( i never did but my dad wanted me to stay safe). I kept praying to Guru Ji in my heart. Then the principal said to me that if I give him my word that I will not harm anyone, I am free to wear Kirpan. I assured him that I would never harm anyone. he let me go and everything was fine. few days after vice principal left. i don't know what happened to her.

in college after after 9/11, I was in my chem class with like 60 people. four policemen came and stood on the gates. they sent a lady in and called me out. there was another guy with turban but had trimmed beard. so he wasn't called out but only me. they took me to dean's office but on the way they had me surrounded like a "terrorist". everybody was looking at me (note: after 3 years one girl recognized me by saying "aren't you that guy they took for wearing a "knife" after 9/11). they took my license and stuff, did background check. i sat in the dean's office with dean and two policemen and two standing outside like i was a criminal. I knew what they would say and I had made up mind only to wear the same kirpan I was wearing then. so he started to talk:

(very brief)

dean: issue here is you wearing a kirpan.

me: how is that an issue?

dean: as you know people are terrorized because of 9/11. they look at you and think you are a muslim. i understand kirpan is part of your religion but people mistakenly look at it as a weapon.

me: first of all i am not a muslim and second, the issue here is people's ignorance not my kirpan. so educate people.

dean: yes but kirpan really scares people so perhaps you can help us by wearing a smaller one?

me: how small?

dean: the one around your neck. i have been to some sikh temples and many wear around their necks. as long as you wear it, its okay. it is only symbolic.

me: sir, you don't know about my religion more than me. kirpan is symbolic but is also used for self defense. then i explained little bit of history of Khalsa. after listening the look of ignorance and confusion on his face was mostly gone.

dean: hmm, then can you have it glued?

me: no. it is against my religion. how will i be able to defend myself.

dean: so you will take it out?

me: yes only when i am attacked by more than one person. if attacked by one person i will not take it out.

dean: then can you tuck it in your pants so people don't see it. this way people will feel safe and you won't have any more problems.

me: yes I can do that.

then he handed me my license back and said he will talk to some of his Sikh friends about it for more info. I said sure and walked out. one thing I would like to mention is that, there was one punjabi girl in my class too whom i hardly knew. when i came out of the office, i saw her and another punjabi guy coming toward me. then she told me that she was worried about me and asked me if everything went okay. I personally felt very very thankful to my sister who showed some care because out of so many punjabis only she cared. I pary to Guru Ji to bless her and her family with all the happiness. I went home but that punjabi guy told his mom who then told my mom and there was that "siapa" again for few hours but everybody calmed down and everything became normal again.

if Guru Ji helped me who doesn't keep any amrit vela or bibek then surely he helps those who keep Rehat everyday and chant his name. Stand on the truth and pray to Guru Ji. You decide. Guru Rakha. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

we have no option but to look up to u guys for what u've done..... :umm:

Thank you for being so strong, when there are some of us out here who are not. hopefully we can learn from people like u

pul chuk maaf

Fateh

... has their ever been a case in the west where a amritdhari singh has been involved in a violent role wit his or her kirpan in the school system ? I dont recall of any maybe you can use strong points as these .. and also relate them to other school boards elsewhere.... etx canada... many singhs including myself.. have worn 9-12 inch kirpans without anyone saying anything...but instead more are curious and want to know about it.... but yet again you got many ignorant people out there... :umm:

... has their ever been a case in the west where a amritdhari singh has been involved in a violent role wit his or her kirpan in the school system ? I dont recall of any maybe you can use strong points as these .. and also relate them to other school boards elsewhere.... etx canada... many singhs including myself.. have worn 9-12 inch kirpans without anyone saying anything...but instead more are curious and want to know about it.... but yet again you got many ignorant people out there... 

I would be careful bringing up a point like this that people have not been violent and used their kirpans at school. I have seen it happen myself when a Singh took out his kirpan. Although he had good reason (had to do with his turban) however in the end, they still think it was violent.... so try to steer away from making a general statement and stick to what u will do....

pul chuk maaf

Fateh

... has their ever been a case in the west where a amritdhari singh has been involved in a violent role wit his or her kirpan in the school system ? I dont recall of any maybe you can use strong points as these .. and also relate them to other school boards elsewhere.... etx canada... many singhs including myself.. have worn 9-12 inch kirpans without anyone saying anything...but instead more are curious and want to know about it.... but yet again you got many ignorant people out there... 

I would be careful bringing up a point like this that people have not been violent and used their kirpans at school. I have seen it happen myself when a Singh took out his kirpan. Although he had good reason (had to do with his turban) however in the end, they still think it was violent.... so try to steer away from making a general statement and stick to what u will do....

pul chuk maaf

Fateh

ok ... good point.... blush.gif

i was just trying to make a point so it can help veerji in changing the minds of those who are against it... u can see it as a wrong approach but sometimes it can have a good side to it.....

bhul chuk maph! :umm: