What "martial Art" Did The Sikhs Use In Battle?

Guest Lohgarh Singh

what "martial art" did the sikhs use in battle?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. what "martial art" did the sikhs use in battle?

• gatka
    • shastar vidiya
    • shin-kin
    • other (please tell us what martial art)

Guest Lohgarh Singh

wjkk wjkf

please, lets not turn this ino a "nang" debate, argue with each other, include any person or jatha. i just want to get to know the sangat better.

"to each his/her own"

erm... shin-kin?! dont think its been around THAT long.........

http://www.shin-kin.com

wkd website though :umm:

LOL. Singh would not have got very far with Shin Kin as it is not a very good martial art when it comes to battles and for that matter defending yourself in a street fight.

Kick boxing and standard boxing are 2 of the best fighting skills you can learn. Shin Kin does not even come close.

WAHEGURUJIKAKHALSAWAHEGURUJIKIFATEH

I think that the art that was used is getting lost. It was Shastar Vidiya which Guru Ji taught us and blessed us with....Gatka is not even an art, its the name of the soti (stick) that we typically use in fights. (the one with the handle, about 3 feet long). I think over time we just started calling it 'gatka'...

Another thing is...these days we don't focus much on hand to hand combat, and that is extremely important...there have been Sakhis i've read in which Guru Gobind Singh Ji had 'silenced' people, by punching them out. ( i think one of them was when Guru Ji left Chamkaur Sahib, and some people saw him and began yelling to get the attention of the army to arrest him)...

we should know how to fight (punching, moving, kicking, blocking etc)...because if someone starts fighting with you, and that person doesn't have any weapons...i wouldn't pull out my Kirpan and stab him...i'd fight him with fists. But these days there is no parchar on this kind of stuff...just wear a Kirpan, and you're set!

...of course we can't do anything without Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Kirpa.

I think that the art that was used is getting lost. It was Shastar Vidiya which Guru Ji taught us and blessed us with....Gatka is not even an art, its the name of the soti (stick) that we typically use in fights. (the one with the handle, about 3 feet long). I think over time we just started calling it 'gatka'...

Another thing is...these days we don't focus much on hand to hand combat, and that is extremely important...there have been Sakhis i've read in which Guru Gobind Singh Ji had 'silenced' people, by punching them out. ( i think one of them was when Guru Ji left Chamkaur Sahib, and some people saw him and began yelling to get the attention of the army to arrest him)...

we should know how to fight (punching, moving, kicking, blocking etc)...because if someone starts fighting with you, and that person doesn't have any weapons...i wouldn't pull out my Kirpan and stab him...i'd fight him with fists. But these days there is no parchar on this kind of stuff...just wear a Kirpan, and you're set!

...of course we can't do anything without Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Kirpa.

So true. Best art to learn how to throw a punch is boxing. This Shin Kin type stuff is complete twaddle when it comes to fighting on the street. Also keeps you fit. Another art that is very good in terms of fitness is wrestling.

boxing is ok for most street fights against people who arent trained, but it has allot of weaknesses, ie if anyone grabs u, ur messed, defence against kicks arent taught at all, how to break out of holds, headlocks, arm breaks, wrist locks etc are out of the question, just a basis of hoping a good punch lands, no emphasis on pressure point strikes

wrestling is ok for the ring, i wouldnt bother with it in the street cos its too easy to get smashed by strikes, wrestlers dive in for the grab and leave themselves so open to the most sweetest strikes rolleyes.gif and plus wrestling against multiple attackers is impossible

most "martial arts" are too geared to sports, thats why most will get smashed in the streets by thugs cos they dont teach real life situations

the gurus had the fighting arts, the stories of sri guru hargobind sahib ji say it all, most sikhs may have lost the art but its still about if u know where to look rolleyes.gif