Offensive Display At Westminister Cathedral

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Sangat Ji, the Westminister Cathedral shop has a shop front display with a old Bible and the surrounding wall is covered by a rumaala with In Oankaar stuck upside down.

I dont know the motives of this display, but together we must contact the Cathedral to remove it.

Please can all contact Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor for the removal of this display (cathedralwebmaster@rcdow.org.uk).

I dont know why they have done this display, we all must assume that its really a lack of understanding on their side.

This is the email I sent earlier:

Dear Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor

Yesterday I visited the shop display of Westminister Cathedral as was upset to see the religious symbol for Sikhism on display.

I am a Sikh and was deeply upset to see your display where a majority of the wall was covered by a rumaala (sacred cloth used to cover Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji – Sacred Scriptures). Sacred Symbol known to Sikhs as Ik Oankaar (meaning there is only one God) is displayed upside down.

This symbol is the start of our Sacred Scriptures (Gurbani) and the basis of our religion. Gurbani is the living embodiment of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji (first Guru of Sikhism)

I request you to remove this display immediately and pass the rumaala over to a Sikh Institute.

I attach a picture of what I saw. It highlights the Sikh Symbols on display which is upside down.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

I have a picture of the display and will try to upload it.

GurFateh!

Why not find out why they have the display and ask them to rotate 180deg so facing correctly and educate. Maybe they might take down themselves...?

Sikhi is a universal religion, everyone wants a piece of it! Ik Onkar resembles One God. Christians too believe in one god. Hence maybe why they have displayed it?

How about instead of making them remove the rumala, we say display it properly with a little message about what the translation is, where it came from and then a couple of links to websites which people can find more info about Sikhi from????

That then forms Sikhi Parchar, and stops beadmi of Ik Onkar (being displayed incorrectly).

Apologies if people dont agree with this, its just after the Bhezti incident, we have to be careful in what we say "We dont want this being displayed, its offensive to Sikhs" coz end of day, all that is needed is a news paper article to write a stupid story sayin we forced them to remove!!!

Please forgive me for offense to anyone and mistakes by my opinion.

I just think if you see Ik Onkar in a Church shop, it shows Sikhi is everywhere, a simple explanation on a post card next to it providing information is a good thing..

All-Info

Why not find out why they have the display and ask them to rotate 180deg so facing correctly and educate. Maybe they might take down themselves...?

Sikhi is a universal religion, everyone wants a piece of it! Ik Onkar resembles One God. Christians too believe in one god. Hence maybe why they have displayed it?

How about instead of making them remove the rumala, we say display it properly with a little message about what the translation is, where it came from and then a couple of links to websites which people can find more info about Sikhi from????

That then forms Sikhi Parchar, and stops beadmi of Ik Onkar (being displayed incorrectly).

Apologies if people dont agree with this, its just after the Bhezti incident, we have to be careful in what we say "We dont want this being displayed, its offensive to Sikhs" coz end of day, all that is needed is a news paper article to write a stupid story sayin we forced them to remove!!!

Please forgive me for offense to anyone and mistakes by my opinion.

I just think if you see Ik Onkar in a Church shop, it shows Sikhi is everywhere, a simple explanation on a post card next to it providing information is a good thing..

All-Info

89751[/snapback]

I agree with all-info...Educate them

If im not mistaken it might be a  strong political statement.. i mean mostly every1 in uk knows about sikhs..

89846[/snapback]

it may just be an honest mistake......

Waheguru Ji Ka KHALSA! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

Well, Gursikhs can stand up-side down on their head and still prove a point.

Politics is useless if disregarding the sentiments of other faiths.

i sincerely hope Cardinal wiseman comes to his senses regarding this issues.

'Mistakes' as such cannot and should not be made or at least allowed to remain at such an institute.

Unless the British Government are suffering from Alzheimer's, i.e. having 'forgotten' the bravehearted loyal heroes from the World Wars and from their slave Empire, not to mention all the honest taxpaying Sikh citizens and strong business-men of UK, then this labour of loathe will NOt work in their favour!

Be warned Mr Blair!!

Ju Blah di Blah...maybe Pres Bush baandar can help you out, ju chamchae...licking eacbother's asses...

What's behind it oil...?!

Power does not come through poncy politics!

Who you foolin' or 'clever' tricks?

Waheguru Ji Ki KHALSA! Waheguru Ji ki FATEHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Before anyone starts to get all heated up and the name-calling starts, it may be an idea to find out who put that up, and find out if that person knows anything about Sikhi/Ik Onkar. If they do not it could be a simple mistake of simply not knowing which way the Ik Onkar should be (we are humans after all and honest mistakes can be made).

There are no excuses for offensive actions but before pointing fingers and making accusations it may be an idea to get the full story behind what’s happened, instead of charging full steam ahead and consequently making a fool of not only yourself but Sikh’s as a whole as your actions represent us all in cases such as this.

Peace. peace.gif