Understanding Sikhism

Maxmize

sat sri akal!

lemme describe myself before starting

im a mona sikh a student of medicine outside India.my parents live in Punjab.

i was wondering now that i have been a mona sikh whole my life can i consider my self sikh.i mean inside me i do consider myself sikh cuz i love mi religion.and of all gurus im very fond of guru gobind singh ji.

but im not a hardcore sikh as many others here.well my view of life is that times r different world has changed.

i hate politics even sikhism politics.. i neva undestood gurudwara politics either.as i see everything has been corrupted even our gurudwaras.now if u r a narrow minded hardcore sikh u mite not wanna admit it but thts true.

it is all abt power n money.

while punjab was going thru khalistan (revolution,terrorism call it woteva please ya) period my brother took to arms and became a rebel or terrorist call it woteva.

but then he felt he was fighting for wrong cause as he was betrayed (long story).so now he is in states living a normal life.

my questions are

Raj Karega Khalsa .. now when is that eva gona happen?

cuz i wanna see a sikh world but keeping in view our broad minded perspective.as i dun see sikhi in hatin other religions or killin people juz cuz they aiint sikh..now that wont make us any better than musilms wud it?

and i wanna know why u people follows these babas etc. i mean its okay that they teach abt our religion but then why call them gurus? cuz as much as i know Guru gobind singh ji said Guru granth sahib ji is our guru forever then why these babas?

and why we dun allow someone to make movies on our religion look its different world and movies inspire people and motivate and make ppz curios abt smthin intersting.and our religion need mo n mo people seeking knowledge abt it as for today very few people know abt it.movies wud help in great deal spreading the word.and i dun mean this documentries etc i mean big budget war flicks abt our warriors and other historic happenings.

and here is a intersting question i hope i find a gud answer

Guru nanak ji clearly said god is everywhere and u know the story of mecca.

so why in gurudwaras people dunt turn their backs towards guru granth sahib ji?

now there is smthin wrong no?

anyway i guess im confused sikh but that doesn`t mean guruji wont love me!

:T:

Hmm, I'm not a knower enough to respond, but still, feel like I want to.

First of all, no offence, to you, or anyone else who does not keep their kesh and rehet - Including myself(!) We are not Sikhs. Sikhism, as you will know is not a religion someone is ever born into, Sikhism is a way of life, which people must follow and be initiated into before calling one self a Sikh. Breaking boundaries of Sikhi, and saying, I don't keep outwardly roop, but inside I am in love my Guru Ji will not make one a Sikh - least of all me. I'm certainly the poorest excuse for a 'Sikh'.

We have to be pure inside and outside to be called a Sikh. And to be pure outside, we must carry that roop that Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave us. So that's the first thing - I hope you are not offended by this - that is not my intention, as writing this, I am also talking to myself. I've made the mistake of calling myself a Sikh on many an occasion. Then when asked if I keep to all the principles that a Sikh must - what could I say... didn't Guru Gobind Singh Ji say "Rehet Piyari Mujh Ko, Sikh Piyara Nahin"...

A hard-core Sikh? I suppose that would be one that follows rehet? and believes whole heartedly in the principles set out by our Guru Sahibans...? Like so many of those amazing Gursikhs here on this board?

I don't know if your view on life, "Times have changed" is perhaps something that you apply to Sikhi also.. thing is, yea, the world has changed, and times too have changed, but Sikhi - no - Sikhi grows with the times, because of Guru Sahibans have thought way ahead of the times, and way before time even began - the name escapes me now, but a Nobel Laureate actually stated that she was amazed at the modern word of these sacred scriptures. How they spoke beyond time, religion and a people. A prime example is the status now given to women. A Sikh women has always had an equal status to a man - Mai Bhago springs to mind in an instant, yet in this world we live in, a Woman is only just able to sit on the same platform as a man, and claim the same rights. Sikhism transcends any sort of space and time. Time moves, that does not mean we can lower the boundaries of our principles and disciplines of life.

Of course, the state of Gurudwara Politics and politics in general leaves a lot to be desired, but my personal feeling is that more and more younger Sikhs coming into the Sikhi, through the true path of Rehet - they are not breaking down barriers to suit their own needs, they are looking at their bhagti first and their shakti second. Maya is everywhere, and in the form of power corrupts the mind - the mind is a horse and often easily led, however, when following the true path of Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji AND having the strength of Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji's mighty Miri and Piri, is their anything that can subdue a real Gursikh?

Raj Karega Khalsa? When is it going to happen? That I cannot tell you - is it going to happen? Of course, Sayeth the tenth master. Sikhi is not to hate any religion, and Khalsa Raaj will not hate any religion - nor do Sikhs kill people "just cos they ain't Sikh" - Khalsa Raaj is way beyond that. The way I see it is Khalsa raaj is the truth, freedom and justice - for mankind. Khalsa Raaj has co-existed with other religions before, and will again. Khalsa Raaj is about us being pure Khalsa's - first and foremost.

People do not follow Sants or Baba, some certainly look up to those with amazing Jeevans full of prem and bhagti but to follow any Sant or Baba is wrong. We have been given a hukam - to follow one - Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The word of Vaheguru.

Movies on our religion... fair enough, I think we would all agree, if a movie depicting the core roots of Sikhism was to be made, we will be in full support of it - of course we would. So why not any of these other movies that exist, a couple of things - one, Sikhs are a minority that have always been fighting with pen or sword for their rights to freedom and justice - when someone makes a movie about Sikhism portraying Sikhs as terrorists, activists who use their brains second and their fists first, we have to think about the affect this will have on the uneducated, wondering minds of the world - what light will these movies show Sikhs in?

As for making movies about our warriors - provided they depicted the truth - of course, I'm sure I speak for most in saying, Sikhs would all welcome such films - long overdue are the stories of truth - history is eclipsing our narratives.

Lastly, God is everywhere, indeed, but as a mark of respect for our Guru Sahib who resides on their throne, we do not turn our backs. Guru Ji, Vaheguru is aang saang, with us at all times, but in physical form is there. As a sign of respect to our beloved, as learnt from Guru Amar Daas ji Maharaj, who would walk backwards for miles so as not to turn their back on Guru Angad Dev Ji, we do not turn our backs to our Lord.

Guru Ji loves you - Guru Ji loves everyone, even the tiniest molecule that has life is loved by Guru Ji... but we (ESPECIALLY ME) are not Sikhs of the Guru until we follow his hukam, and his hukam is to play that game of love with him, in only ONE way - Give our head.

I've rambled on a little - I apologise.

Forgive me if I have offended anyone - and for my many mistakes. I myself am an uneducated moorakh, a papi beyond papi's.

Waheguru Ji Ka KHALSA! Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!! :e:

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 318

mÚ 5 ]

ma 5 ||

Fifth Mehl:

Blky auiT prwhuxw myrY Gir Awvau ]

bhalakae out(h) paraahunaa maerai ghar aavo ||

I rise up in the early morning hours, and the Holy Guest comes into my home.

pwau pKwlw iqs ky min qin inq Bwvau ]

paao pakhaalaa this kae man than nith bhaavo ||

I wash His feet; He is always pleasing to my mind and body.

nwmu suxy nwmu sMgRhY nwmy ilv lwvau ]

naam sunae naam sa(n)grehai naamae liv laavo ||

I hear the Naam, and I gather in the Naam; I am lovingly attuned to the Naam.

igRhu Dnu sBu pivqRü hoie hir ky gux gwvau ]

grihu dhhan sabh pavithra hoe har kae gun gaavo ||

My home and wealth are totally sanctified as I sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord.

hir nwm vwpwrI nwnkw vfBwgI pwvau ]2]

har naam vaapaaree naanakaa vaddabhaagee paavo ||2||

The Trader in the Lord's Name, O Nanak, is found by great good fortune. ||2||

Gurfateh piaariO! wink2.gif

first of all, there have been a few pathetic posts on his topic, such as this....

LOLOLOLOLOL u <banned word filter activated>! LOLOLOLOLOL
gustaphi maaf, but not everyone is as clever as you are. keep your thoughts to yourself as they can hurt others pretty bad.

maximize ji, i too am a moona. but i dont consider myself as a sikh for these reasons...

1. the words of maskeen, you must take amrit to be a sikh "sikh pehla, singh baad" if sant siphai works like this, then this concept works exactly the same way.

2. if your born into a pandits house, does it make you a pandit?

Raj Karega Khalsa .. now when is that eva gona happen?

when the "sikhs" stop drinking too much, and turn to follow guru da hukam and wake up amritvela, do ishnaan and then 5 banis and simran or even more. thats how sikhs will unite and get khalsa raaj.

read bhai rama singhs book "in search of the true guru" or in punjabi "roop gobind da, raj khalsey da, sikha sonay ka" for more info on this. an autobiography of a great gursikh who embraced sikhi whole heartedly and asked a saheed singh in his dream the exact same q you are asking us ji.

i wanna know why u people follows these babas etc. i mean its okay that they teach abt our religion but then why call them gurus?
give me an example of a well known baba, then i can answer. there are some who did so much parchaar and did not want to be called baba (can i use baba thakur singh as an example ji) and there are others who call themselves baba and want people to do matha theek.
why we dun allow someone to make movies on our religion look its different world and movies inspire people and motivate and make ppz curios abt smthin intersting

ask a director that Q. there was a film made about guru gobind singh ji and his life, but people did not like it, as a human played his role in the film, which no human can take guru sahibs role. personally i think this film would have done parchaar, just like how hinduism introduced mahabharat and ramayan to add a new wave to hinduism, making people interested in the long epics.

but there are old films like"nanak naam jahaz hai", "dukh bhanjan tera naam" and more recently "khalsa mera rop hai khaas".

Guru nanak ji clearly said god is everywhere and u know the story of mecca.

so why in gurudwaras people dunt turn their backs towards guru granth sahib ji?

because guru sahib is jaagtey jot shabad guru. did you know while guru amar das ji was guru angad dev jis chela, in the morning he would do matha thek to guru ji, and not turn back when he did his chores such as getting the water for him?

guru sahib is a gateway to god, they are the enlightened one, hence forth people tend not to turn their backs on the guru as some consider it as disrespect to an enlightened one.

can someone else fill me in here?

gustaphi maaf