IS.............

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE-MARRIAGE ALOUD IN OUR RELIGION ???

JUS CURIOUS hmmm.gif

92366[/snapback]

Is it re-marriage after divorce you reffer to, or for widows/widowers. I believe both are allowed.

Where re-marriage for widows is concerned, this is specially significant in Sikhi. Before the time of Guru Amar Das Ji, it was common Hindu practice for widows to be placed on the funeral pyre of their husbands ina tradition called Sat that was supposed to show their devotion to their departed spouse. Guru Amar Das uplifted the status of women, and abolished this practice for Sikhs, giving women greater rights.

Additionally, Guru Amar Das Ji ensured that Sikh women were not made to wear purdah (veil) over their face as in Islamic tradition. Furthermore, Guru Ji craeted Manji's and allowed women to take up such positions and thus become missionaries of the faith, and preach the Sikh teachings.

I too am not aware of any mention of re-marriage directly in Gurbani.

Rehitnamas are the proscribed Sikh Way of living, and contain the rules Sikhs should adhere to. This is where such information, and rules would be found as opposed to in Gurbani itself.

The link given by Curious_man takes you to the SGPC rehitnama, most of which is widely agreed to as accurate by the panth as a whole, although some groups may disagree with some points.

rehitnama...explains the sikh's code of conduct

how shld a sikh live his life like a gursikh

rehitnamas were written by gurus and many gursikhs of that time

anywys...to be more precise....there r more members (experience in sikhi) in this forum...

have patience...i guess they will give u whts exactly a rehitnama!!

wjkk wjkf

Although I dont think there is any mention of a widow remarrying in Guru Granth Shahib ji however, if u go to www.sikhitothemax.com and under the gurbani search search for widow in the english section, you'll find so many shabads, especially those that tell a woman not to despair when she becomes a widow, because in reality she isnt ever a widow, her husband lord is always with her.. guru ji is always with her, he is our mother, father, husband, wife, brother, sister...... it is not wrong to remarry in Sikhi, the only problem is the thinking of people who dont want their children to marry someone who was once married, other than that i dont think people have a problem with it....

bhul chuk maaf

Fateh