IS.............

why is marriage after divorce not allowed?

i can understand one would not people to think they can marry, divorce, remarry again and again

as i understand it so far, marriage in sikhi is about 2 souls and spirits becoming 1 to worship waheguru...

so....

if someone divorces their partner for valid reasons eg they have had an abusive partner, does that divorcee not have any other chance to marry someone with whom their soul can truly and lovingly unite with to advance their sikhi?

its easy to try to be black and white with these things but in life things aren't like that

in the case of someone who'd been eg mistreated by their partner, i don't think waheguru ji would necessarily look down upon a divorcee who remarried carefully so that the remarriage was to someone who would help the inidvual to become a better person and sikh

if we consider that sikh=learner and that there are actually no strict rules laid down by the gurus themselves, maybe we should accept that divorce may be a learning curve that waheguru thinks some people need but that should not prevent them from remarrying....

however, i know that with this argument one could go to the extreme and say that this means that u can try anything eg drugs etc so long as u claim to have learnt from it afterwards...however this is limited because the guru's did explicitly condemn drug taking...

bhul chuk maph

rolleyes.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is marriage after divorce not allowed?

i can understand one would not people to think they can marry, divorce, remarry again and again

as i understand it so far, marriage in sikhi is about 2 souls and spirits becoming 1 to worship waheguru...

so....

if someone divorces their partner for valid reasons eg they have had an abusive partner, does that divorcee not have any other chance to marry someone with whom their soul can truly and lovingly unite with to advance their sikhi?

its easy to try to be black and white with these things but in life things aren't like that

in the case of someone who'd been eg mistreated by their partner, i don't think waheguru ji would necessarily look down upon a divorcee who remarried carefully so that the remarriage was to someone who would help the inidvual to become a better person and sikh

if we consider that sikh=learner and that there are actually no strict rules laid down by the gurus themselves, maybe we should accept that divorce may be a learning curve that waheguru thinks some people need but that should not prevent them from remarrying....

however, i know that with this argument one could go to the extreme and say that this means that u can try anything eg drugs etc so long as u claim to have learnt from it afterwards...however this is limited because the guru's did explicitly condemn drug taking...

bhul chuk maph

rolleyes.gif

92411[/snapback]

<_<

Guest Akaal108

Sikhi is diverse.

Not only re-marriage is allowed in sikhi but polygamy is also allowed in Sikhi because guru's themselves had multiple wives.

http://www.damdamitaksal.com/his_gurus_6.htm

http://www.damdamitaksal.com/his_gurus_7.htm

http://www.damdamitaksal.com/his_gurus_10.htm

Also that does not mean celibacy is forbidden as well.

The fact is we had so many gurmukhs was celibate one such example- Baba Deep Singh (Celibate) and Bhai Mani Singh along with our Guru'ss had polygamy shows Sikhi is diverse.

People who don't accept this very fact should read the work of sachkhand vasi 108 sant gyani gurbachan singh ji bhindranvaley on guru's life don't trust tat khalsa distorted facts ( because of the influence from british):

Also look at the following link to read more about history..

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...opic.ppa?t=2472

Guest Akaal108
interesting......i didn't know about the link between polygamy and sikhi

if it is true that some of the guru's had 1+wives, why did they have more than one?

92508[/snapback]

Nobody knows why Guru Maharaj had more than wife.. actually we can't question our guru.. who knows what kinda circumstances thoses times were.

If polygamy is allowed by which we mostly struck with thinking of male married to couple of females, I wonder if a female can marry three or four males.. Will that be allowed in sikhi?

Polygamy is of course big no no in sikhi ! Think about it.. How can we justify doing that?? It's not normal, nor it's civilized thing to do in this world.

Regarding the Myth of Guru Sahib sahiban Married to many wives.. here's a good read where you can see how our so called historic punjabi writers mis led sangat by their "opinions" based writing style.

Now back to question.. Re-marriage is certainly allowed whether it's divorcee or widowed.. if the reason for divorce is valid within sikhi limits.. Just as sissy mentioned that sometime one ends up with wrong partner/person, doesn't mean that he/she gonna stay as single for whole life if they get divorced..

guru har rai je i think had 8 wives

its all on taksal site

guru gobind singh je had 2 and 1 spiritual, who is mata sahib kaur je

<admin-profanity filter activated> akaal je said, sant gurbacahn singh je mentions this

for each wife of guru gobind singh jes jothi joth samaae thaan there a gurughar, and theres more than one

all athiaas, ALL, historical texts, all points to guru je having more thn one wife

2 things

bhai mardana and guru je walking, see an ocean

guru je says just say vaheguru u can walk over the water

bhai mardana je does just that

guru nanak dev je half way stops saying vaheguru and starts saying something else

bhai mardnaana je does the same

he drowns

guru je doesnt

guru je tells him to say vaheguru je again

they do and start walkiin on water again

when they reached other side, bhai sahib asks guru sahiban yd i drown but u didnt when we said the same thng, guru e said its the duty if a chela to listen to hukam, not to copy or questionn his guru sahib

second thing

guru je did everything wat the moghul rajais did to show he was superior to them, had no fear of t hem, wat u gonna do attitude, one reason y we wear 2 dastaars on our head btw

anyways, so guru je kept hunting hawk, went hunting, wore a kalgi, had more than one wife, wore very nice clothes, had an army, did everything they did

this is one reason

bhula chuka maf

Sikhi is diverse.

Not only re-marriage is allowed in sikhi but polygamy is also allowed in Sikhi because guru's themselves had multiple wives.

http://www.damdamitaksal.com/his_gurus_6.htm

http://www.damdamitaksal.com/his_gurus_7.htm

http://www.damdamitaksal.com/his_gurus_10.htm

Also that does not mean celibacy is forbidden as well.

The fact is we had so many gurmukhs was celibate one such example- Baba Deep Singh (Celibate) and Bhai Mani Singh along with our Guru'ss had polygamy shows Sikhi is diverse.

People who don't accept this very fact should read the work of sachkhand vasi 108 sant gyani gurbachan singh ji bhindranvaley on guru's life don't trust tat khalsa distorted facts ( because of the influence from british):

Also look at the following link to read more about history..

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...opic.ppa?t=2472

92497[/snapback]

and "Nobody knows why Guru Maharaj had more than wife.. actually we can't question our guru.. who knows what kinda circumstances thoses times were."

There appears to be some contradiction in what you are saying. Initially you state polygamy is allowed in Sikhi, which would suggest that it is ok for Sikhs today to have more than one wife etc. Then you talk about circumstances, and use the same as reasoning for the Guru's to have more than one wife etc. This second quote would seem to suggest that it was ok for the Gurus to have more than one wife, but not for Sikhs in general today. Could you please clarify what exactly the point you are trying to make is please?

Are you saying ploygamy is ok for Sikhs today, as your first post suggests, or that it was ok for the Guru's because of unknown circumstances back in their days, which we can assume no longer exist (hence their being unkonown).

Sorry if it seems as though I have misinterpreted your comments, I just wanted clarification on what exactly the point you are making is, as the first comment was very open, and the second very restricted.

akaal 108...

i think it is very necessary to question the guru's...in a humble way of course, not defensively...because this will enable us to understand sikhi better

why did each guru need 1+ wives? was it because one wife died? did any of the guru's have 2+ wives at one time? did any of the guru's marry again when their previos wife was still alive?

what was the need for guru gobind singh ji to have a 'spiritual wife'? were his other wives not able to fulfil his spiritual needs?

are there any stories in sikhi of sikh women remarrying after eg the death of a husband and being acepted?

these issues could have an important implication on our communnity's interpretation of remarriage....its interesting, but unfair, how usually male polygamy/remarriage is more acceptable than female polygamy/remarriage

grin.gif

Gurus have 1+ wives = incorrent and manmat to think!

We have not recorded our history - Hindus and Muslims have! Everyone has their own agenda when recording history and their world view perspective of things = different.

Ekaa naaree jathee hoye, par naaree dhee bhain vakhaanai...

Having  one women as wife he (the Sikh) is a celebate and considers any other's  wife his daughter or a sister. (Bhai Gurdaas Ji's Vaars)

Maata Jeeot Ji (proper name Mata Ajeet Kaur Ji) was supposed to get married in Lahor to Guru Gobind Singh ji.

However the Sikhs and Guru Sahib found out that the Mughals had realised that marriage was to take place and planned to attack.

Guru Sahib then asked for Mata Ajeet Kaur Ji and her family to come to Anandpur Sahib to have the Anand Kaaraj.

"If we cannot go to Lahore, we will bring Lahore here" - In the beautiful hilly area close to Anandpur Sahib, Guru Sahib founded the village "Guru Ka Lahore" (based on the Lahore story!).

Mata Ji and Guru Sahib were wedded there.

According to Indian culture and Islamic culture - Kings, high status people and people with great wealth and respect, have more than one wife.

The Hindu and Islamic world-view perspective and ignorance of Gurmat and history, Hindu and Islamic historians recorded that Guru Sahib got married in Lahore and in Guru Ka Lahor, Anandpur Sahib.

It is common Panjabi practice (still happens!) that when a newly wed wife comes to her new home that the inlaws give her a nick name.

e.g. Gurbaksh Kaur may be called Gulaabo in her inlaws home, or Rattan Kaur may be renamed with a named Sewa Kaur etc

Mata Ajeet Kaur Ji was very beautiful. Mata Gujari Kaur Ji gave her the name of "Sundari" - hence people started to call Mata Ji - "mata Sundree ji"

Mata Sahib Kaur - her parents wanted her to marry Guru Sahib. Guru Sahib said, "I have a wife - i desire no one-else to be my marital partner."

Mata Sahib Kaur (previous to taking amrit called "Mata sahib Deva") sed that her father has told everyone since i was born that I will married to Guru Ji. Now, no one will marry me!

Guru Sahib agreed that Mata Sahib Kaur could live in the household as a "Gursikh" however NOT as a marital (physical) partner. Guru Sahib told her "you cannot have children with me, because i have a wife" - however future will reveal itself and you will have thousands who will honour you as their mother.

THis is from the Professor Sahib Singh Ji's Book: "Itihaas Guru Gobind Singh Ji"

The litmus test for anything = test it with Gurbaani!

Anyone can make up manmat galaa (things) and say it is true.!! Unfortunately groups promoting Hindu-fied and distorted view of sikhi such as RSS, Sanatan Sikhi, and Buddha Dal are spreading this rubbish to others.

Please read Gurbaani and make up your own mind!