Nihangs Huge dummalas

naam_jap

no i dont think it has to do with pride...but this is what i have been told. back in the days during guru ji's times most people used to wear turbans, so guru ji instructed singhs to wear big dhumalleh so people could see that he/she was a son/daughter of guru ji and would not hurt anybody. so if they had to stay/hide out in a sumbodys house people would let them in because they knew they wudnt do no harm or something like that.....hope that helps!

waheguroo ji ka khalsa, waheguroo ji ki fateh!

i asked my mom and she told me that when one of the sahibzade did a dastaar for the first time, his face was so small compared to the large dastaar that Guru Gobind Singh Ji said, "Eh ta sadiya(n) laadliyaa(n) fauja(n) nay."

from that day on the nihangs began wearing big dumaalas and began calling themselves the ladliya(n) fauja(n) of guru ji. :nihungsmile:

waheguroo ji ka khalsa, waheguroo ji ki fateh!

Nothing against anyone but a simple curiousity question...

What is with the HUGE dumallas that i see in some pics which are like almost a meter high and like a couple foot length in width... they are BIGGGGG.... what is the purpose of that....

.... jsut by looking at such dhumaala ... i cant see any of the puratan gursikhs in such dumallas... how can they move in those and fight as if they were out numbered 1000 to 1....

.... so my question is .... has it become all for 'looks' now .... or are those dumallas for real during the gurus times.... i myself can not see dat....

..... bhul chuk maph

NOPE NOPE NOPE. Where the looks are concerned!! Currently Baba Balbir Singh Ji, Jathedar of one faction of the Budha Dal is encouraging a few of his Nihang Singhs to waer these big dumallas from what I understand. Nihang Major Singh Ji is said to wear the largest (not tallest), with one that is said to weigh 35 kilos ( I may be wrong here ).

Nihang Major Singh Ji, when asked about the reason for wearing a dumalla of that size says that he does it to promote Sikhi to the youth. His dumalla gets attention worldwide in media (he was in UK national newspapers not too long ago), and as such uses the dumalla to promote the Sikhi Saroop to the youth who are turning away from Sikhi.

Therefore, the use in todays world would be to raise awareness of Sikhi history/culture and most importantly of the Sikhi Saroop itself.

And, for those of you who think sucha large duumalla would be a hinderance in warfare, please check out this link:

http://www.amritworld.com/hola/m29.html

Here you can see Nihang Major Singh, complete with HUGE dumalla displaying his agility with the sword. I have been told that these pictures do not do him justice, and seeing him go in real life is remarkabale.

Hmm,

But if it has to weigh like 35 kilos on the head... facts are, you're gonna get bald. Then what comes of your beautiful kesh...

Also, its not healthy cause it puts a lot of weight on your back too, and if you tilt your head and some direction you can loose balance more easily, or it will do some bad things to your back...

Medium dumallas are fine, they make sense for promotion, for intimidation as a warrior, for protection... but when it comes to HUGE... there's a limit... and flowers too?! Thats getting fancy.

The body was made in a way to have good equilibrium the way it is... the head, the waist, the chest and legs have a certain percentage of weight that naturally makes sense... going beyond that by like 35 kilos is tooo much to be healthy.

About promotion... it might promote, but i dont think everyone would enjoy to walk around with an extra boulder on their shoulders... Thats not whats going to promote sikhi... the Banis and the essence of the mesg of Sikhism is what will bring people to it... in crowds. If they only knew.... *sigh*