Sikhs Orphans forced on the Streets! OMG!

Sheltered orphans once again homeless

Sanjeev Singh Bariana

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, April 26

cth%20(7).jpg

A group of hapless children among 40 orphans, who have been rendered homeless following the demolition of a gurdwara in Dadu Majra, Chandigarh, on Tuesday. — Tribune photo by Manoj Mahajan

Nature was unkind enough to 40 orphans residing in the gurdwara of Dadumajra away from the lap of their mothers and support of their fathers. The rule of the land dealt another severe blow to them today when a bulldozer trampled upon their temporary site of refuge as part of the anti-encroachment drive.

Innocent faces of children gazed into infinity as one muttered “where will we go now”? “I don’t know. The God gave us this place to live for four years when we had no doors to knock for help. He surely will have ordained some alternative for us,” said Ms Baljinder Kaur, a widow engaged in taking care of the children.

“We were taken to the Old Age Home in Sector 15 where we were given some food. There was no place to house us. We are once again back on road,” she said.

A sevadar said, “There are so many gurdwaras in the city and a majority of them are flooded with donations in cash and kind. I hope they are concerned enough about the fate of the tragedy-stricken children. We are sitting on the road since morning. However, no one has volunteered help.”

The gurdwara, built more than 20 years ago, also housed four caretakers for children. One of inmates here was a girl, who has been rendered a “vegetable” because of the failure of her nervous control over her body. She is here for the past three years. She cannot speak or communicate any of her needs.

Rajbir Kaur was studying in a school on the encroached area, which, too, has been demolished. “I am a student of class IX. I belong to Dhaliwal Beth village in Kapurthala. I don’t have my parents so I came here about four years ago”.

Manpreet Kaur, a 10-year-old, does not know which place she belongs to. “I am told that I was left here by my paternal aunt, who lives in Patiala. I don’t have any dreams. I am sure that we will find some place to hide our heads. I have many friends with me who will be my pillar of strength through any ordeal.”

Kuldeep Kaur said, “I belong to Gurdaspur and am told that my father died in a police encounter. I have never seen my mother. I pray that the God should never separate children from their parents.” Amanpreet Kaur, who belongs to Amritsar district, said, “I don’t remember my parents. I am studying to be able to stand on my own. I will always remember my struggle in case I am successful. I will definitely do something for children who are suffering on account of no family support”.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050427/cth1.htm#3

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving message from Tapoban Sahib Forum:

Author: Singh

Date:  04-27-05 11:13

cth%20(7).jpg

These are our children. Manhandled and thrown out of whatever little shelter they had. I feel like dying with shame that those of our brothers and sisters who gave their lives for our Panth, and trusted us to take care of their children once they were gone, have been so completely betrayed.

What Raj are we going to get when we can't take care of our own children? If these orphans decide to declare themselves Christians today, they will be housed in the finest of institutions with top education. We talk about those Singhs, Singhnees and Bhajhungees who chose poverty and life in the jungles but did not forsake Sikhi. Don't need to go to the history books to see it: look in front of you. It's happening today.

These are children of those Singhs/Singhnees whom we call as shaheeds of the panth, the ones who sacrificed their lives for Khalistan, and this is the way they are being treated. I say where is our Jathedaar of Sri Akaal Takhat? Where are all those who love being thekkedaars of the Sikh kaum all the dam time?