Hindu Scriptures in Gurbani

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I'm quite confused at the moment, I know that we are not Hindu's in any shape or form, I understand the differences. . .

I was wondering could someone (or many of you) please help me understand the references to the Vedas, Puranas, Devs, Devtia's etc in Gurbani??? Are we supposed to know what they say? Are we supposed to believe in any part of them?

I don't understand all the Bani I read that's why I'm asking. . . I hope this is not a silly question I just don't like feeling ignorant and I want to be able to understand things better for my own knowledge and to be able to answer other peoples questions. . .

Thank you

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Guru Fateh Ji

The idea that Guru Gobind Singh's celestial writings are 'translations for simple folk to understand them' is absurd. Have a read through Dasam Bani, the language is not 'simple' and moreover these not simply 'translations'.

Those who have read the original texts underlying the same themes (i.e. Ramayan, Mahabharat, Markhande Puran etc) will note that there are differences in the 'katha' that Guru Sahib relays.

We should aspire to have all forms of knowledge.

I'll leave this thread now for "The Khalsa Fauj" (yeah right!) to come a hijack with his pro-Kala Afghana rubbish about how the Dasam Granth is not Gurbani.

Gurfateh!!

My basic understanding of Hindu Holy Text from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj is basically if one recites them continuously and ritualistically, it does no good. As it is Parmeswar Who you should be remembering. Otherwise your just destined to rebirth.

As for Sri Dasam Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Maharaaj Ji actually narrates many battles which actually occurred. One would be foolish to believe these 'Gods' did not exist. Maharaaj Ji mainly tells the Sakhiya of Sri Durga Ji. The most common belief as why it is Her stories that are told was because She was a Protector, She stood up in times of evil when no one else would. This is the duty of the Khalsa so as far as i can see this Bani is there to instill the warriorness into the Khalsa. We do not worship these deities, but respect them an we can learn from these events.

I shall elaborate more when i get back to my comp and have soem more time.

Gufateh!!

ummm...but isn't Gurbani like water, that no matter even if it unknowingly falls on dirt (of the mind and soul), it still cleans it off?

You are correct. Remember:

jyhw sqguru kir jwixAw qyho jyhw suKu hoie ]

Only very few people have some interest in discussing Gurbani. Most just show fake nimarta by saying "we are fools" but when it comes to giving speeches to others their posts never end. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Manmohan Kaur Jee,

Gurbani also gives references to Quran not just Vedas or Puranas. It gives references to Muslim god 'Izraayal' too.

Page 315, Line 4 -- Guru Arjan Dev

Azraa-eel, the Angel of Death, shall crush them like sesame seeds in the oil-press. ||27||ajraa-eel faraystaa til peerhay ghaanee. ||27||

Manmohan Kaur Jee,

Gurbani also gives references to Quran not just Vedas or Puranas.  It gives references to Muslim god 'Izraayal' too.

Page 315, Line 4 -- Guru Arjan Dev

Azraa-eel, the Angel of Death, shall crush them like sesame seeds in the oil-press. ||27||ajraa-eel faraystaa til peerhay ghaanee. ||27||

100048[/snapback]

Gurfateh!!

Firstly Azrael isn't 'a god' in Islaam but the angel of death as the translation you gave shows.

Secondly that Shabad isn't a reference to the Qu'ran but entire Shabad just shows how people can be hipocrites, just givin Muslims as an example this time, there are Shabad which show some Hindus as being hipocrites but the point of this is to show this happens in every religion. The Shabad veer ji gave is as follows:

pauVI 5 ]

Pauree, Fifth Mehl:

lY Pwhy rwqI qurih pRBu jwxY pRwxI ]

They take the noose in their hands, and go out at night to strangle others, but God knows everything, O mortal.

qkih nwir prweIAw luik AMdir TwxI ]

They spy on other men's women, concealed in their hiding places.

sMn@I dyin@ ivKMm Qwie imTw mdu mwxI ]

They break into well-protected places, and revel in sweet wine.

krmI Awpo AwpxI Awpy pCuqwxI ]

But they shall come to regret their actions - they create their own karma.

AjrweIlu Prysqw iql pIVy GwxI ]27]

Azraa-eel, the Angel of Death, shall crush them like sesame seeds in the oil-press. ||27||

This does not imply that we also believe in an angel of death before this is taken out of context, but rather they (Muslims) still believe all this will happen yet still do bad actions. As most of us do.

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!