Q. Do we have any control over our daily life?

Sangat Ji

I have been troubled with the following issues for some time and despite relating these to Granthis, Gianis and other Sikh scholars I have never been able to obtain a proper reply.

How much of our daily life do we actually control? Is everything one does pre-destined due to our karam(past deeds), why do we act good/bad? If it due to our past deeds then God has already decided/chosen who is to obtain salvation or not?

can we change our karam for the better or worse?

Some examples:

A thief steals and most of his life is spent in and out of prison. Was it written for him to behave dishonestly and steal? Lets say after a few years this thief had changed for the better and practiced sikhi and had avoided prison. Do we say he chose to stop stealing and took the rightious path or do we say well thats what was written and he changed. Thus it was Gods doing and not his.

A murderer/ rapist does horrendous evil acts. Again is it pre-destined/ written he would behave in such a way or does he choose conciously to act that way?The victim dies- was it written he would die in that manner at the hands of the murderer or could his death have been avoided if the murderer chose not to act badly?

It is confusing? What guidance is in the SGGS JI , that whilst life is predestined and our actions are the result of karma, can man in this life ALTER what is written. If we argue yes, then we could say but that was written for him to change ,as in the case of the thief. This means we cannot actually alter anything. Therefore, how can we make progress in life?Why not leave it all in Gods hand and what follows will happen?

However, if we argue a man can change and alter his life's direction then how are we able to distinguish between what part of our life is due to our past deeds or changes we have made with renewed effort?

I would welcome any support on this issues.

ms514 GURU Fateh

Thank you so much for your reference. I have read chapter 17 and my mind is at ease. I propose to read all the other chapters.

I knew that in the Sangat Ji on this site one would provide help. I have always believed that whatever we wish for is granted by the Sangat. HAR PRAHB VASTA SANGAT VICH.

GURU FATEH JI

there are two types of karam

udham karam and sancham karam

udham karam is what we talk about most of the time with all this "oh i got this happy slap because i did a happy to them in my past life"

or a better example, if your poor, its due to what you did in your past life

thats an example of udham karam

sancham karam is something that we actually try and work towards to get

i.e. an A* in every subject your doing for your exams

you work towards it.

the question is, how much do we control in our lives, well you tell me, how much of it do we NOT control?

god places things in front of us, and it is up to us how we react to it (thats udham)

sancham is when you say to yourself you want to be the most chardikala gursikh there has ever walked on this earth!

its in your dhian, and as long as you work towards it, its called sancham.

gustaphi maaf

Dhanaasaree, Fifth Mehl:

hliq suKu pliq suKu inq suKu ismrno nwmu goibMd kw sdw lIjY ]

halath sukh palath sukh nith sukh simarano naam gobi(n)dh kaa sadhaa leejai ||

Peace in this world, peace in the next world and peace forever, remembering Him in meditation. Chant forever the Name of the Lord of the Universe.

imtih kmwxy pwp icrwxy swDsMgiq imil muAw jIjY ]1] rhwau ]

mittehi kamaanae paap chiraanae saadhhasa(n)gath mil muaa jeejai ||1|| rehaao ||

The sins of past lives are erased, by joining the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; new life is infused into the dead. ||1||Pause||

rwj jobn ibsrMq hir mwieAw mhw duKu eyhu mhWq khY ]

raaj joban bisara(n)th har maaeiaa mehaa dhukh eaehu mehaa(n)th kehai ||

In power, youth and Maya, the Lord is forgotten; this is the greatest tragedy - so say the spiritual sages.

Aws ipAws rmx hir kIrqn eyhu pdwrQu BwgvMqu lhY ]1]

aas piaas raman har keerathan eaehu padhaarathh bhaagava(n)th lehai ||1||

Hope and desire to sing the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises - this is the treasure of the most fortunate devotees. ||1||

srix smrQ AkQ Agocrw piqq auDwrx nwmu qyrw ]

saran samarathh akathh agocharaa pathith oudhhaaran naam thaeraa ||

O Lord of Sanctuary, all-powerful, imperceptible and unfathomable - Your Name is the Purifier of sinners.

AMqrjwmI nwnk ky suAwmI srbq pUrn Twkuru myrw ]2]2]54]

a(n)tharajaamee naanak kae suaamee sarabath pooran t(h)aakur maeraa ||2||2||54||

The Inner-knower, the Lord and Master of Nanak is totally pervading and permeating everywhere; He is my Lord and Master. ||2||2||54||

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

:doh: :) :doh: :wub:

There was very nice explanation given by maskin ji in his japji sahib katha.

He said once somebdy (follower of mohammad sahib) asked mohammad sahib the same question u r asking. Mohammad sahib said lift ur one foot up in air and the person lifted his left foot. Then mohammad sahib said lift ur right foot without placing the left foot on ground. The follower said tht its not possible he has to keep left foot on ground to lift his right foot. Then mohammad sahib replied tht God give u some freedom (and god has restricted something according to His hukam, like he was unable to lift both feet) and He also laid down some rules such as "if u do bad then something bad will happen to u". Now the choice is urs if u do bad then something bad will happen to u. If u do good, good will happen to u. God also conveyed us what is good and whats bad through his avtaars. But everything is in His hukam.

I dont know if thts the exact thing u were asking but I felt like sharing.