Slurs 'n' Simran - at 1984 June Rally

Nama Singh

regarding the media- they never give the rally publicity no matter what happens- good or bad

p.s. i'm not defending anyone- they certainly appear capable of defending themselves.

RIGHT at the front next to the panj pyarae shouting swears with a megaphone during simran?

blimey... if i saw that then i would've done something

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

when someone stepped to having the banner that said Sant Jarnail Singh Jee Khalsa Zindabaad at the front, he almost got battered for havin an opinion let alone anything else!!!

To be honest, i thought "the panj pyaare have carried on doing simran louder" so i joined in the simran and kept meself to meself. Rather not give people reason to hate.

Why is it in the photos of those participating in the burning of flags and that indira model their faces have been blurred.

In case their mum's are on the Net :-)

103385[/snapback]

I was near the front of the march.

It was really awesome when we sat down and did the Chaupai paath.

To see young Sikhs, teenagers doing the paath was special.

Regarding the burning of the dummy.

A policeman warned the Sikh youths not to do it, that they were being filmed on CCTV, so i presume it must have been illegal. But the Singh's did it anyway. That is why the photo's have most probably been shaded.

My personal and humble opinion was that it was perfectly acceptable.

To think that the Indian gov't was responsible for so much, a little burning of Indira will have sent a message to the Indian gov't and population.

I must confess i took part in the 'Indra <admin-profanity filter activated> slogan'.

With hindsight i do regret it, but i did not hear the paath that was being recited by the panj pyare. But i do recall that similar slogans were said at the original 1984 march, my mum told me. Nowadays, flag burning , dummy burning are common features of many demonstrations by different groups.

Nobody complained about the jumping on the Saddam statue in Baghdad.

Numerous dummies of Blair and Bush have been degraded.

Nobody complained about the jumping on the Saddam statue in Baghdad.

Numerous dummies of Blair and Bush have been degraded.

103391[/snapback]

Gurfateh!!

This may be seen as one justification, but as Khalsa we do not go down to this level, i believe. GurKhalsa is above all this petty attitude, Khalsa Ji should keep its head up and be known for its role model ideals and behaviour.

Does anyone disagree???

Gurfateh!!

I agree Khalsa should be above all this-

in conducting protests you also have to try and get the media's attention and try and send a message to the government. Peaceful protests were done throughout the Punjabi suba movement, in protest some singhs even starved themselves to death- did the state take notice? NO.

The K-word should not have been used but only accounted for 5% of what was said. I respect those that did speak on the megaphones as they were at least determined to get the attention of the passers-by. Of the thousands of Khalsae protesting including panj pyarae not one criticised those who spoke on the megaphones for what was said. A lot of people were chanting the naarae. The megaphones were freely distributed. If some people felt so strongly about the naarae then they should have said so and 'mistakes' could have been avoided instead of allowing it to happen and then complaining later. If policia or army were after me i know i'd rather have people around me that were willing to take a stand and speak out despite being photographed or whatever than those who would rather criticise those that do. Since so many people were massacred naturally some people will get over-emotional and not think things through- burning the flag and that. Since none of the Gursikhs who are now complaining explained to them the 'correct' way of protesting they will no doubt repeat such actions. Taking a moral highground on a thread isn't difficult but taking a stand for what you believe in is. I'm not going to waste my energy criticising those who used non politically corect naarae, etc. People are too quick to criticise each other and in-fight rather than focus on who the REAL dushts are. Simran is preferable but if others wish to chant then chant- raj karega khalsa, khalistan zindabad & who's the biggest terrorist in the world?- the GOI

Of the thousands of Khalsae protesting including panj pyarae not one criticised those who spoke on the megaphones for what was said. A lot of people were chanting the naarae. The megaphones were freely distributed. If some people felt so strongly about the naarae then they should have said so and 'mistakes' could have been avoided instead of allowing it to happen and then complaining later.

Since none of the Gursikhs who are now complaining explained to them the 'correct' way of protesting they will no doubt repeat such actions. Taking a moral highground on a thread isn't difficult but taking a stand for what you believe in is. I'm not going to waste my energy criticising those who used non politically corect naarae, etc. People are too quick to criticise each other and in-fight rather than focus on who the REAL dushts are. Simran is preferable but if others wish to chant then chant- raj karega khalsa, khalistan zindabad & who's the biggest terrorist in the world?- the GOI

103400[/snapback]

Gurfateh!!

Veer ji i do agree that if anyone was against it there then some one should have stood up and said so.

As for the flag burning apparantly those who did it were at the back while others were doing Sri Chaupai Sahib. Now they would not notice if the were looking forward. Not only that after going to this even in the past. The rally can be so long that what happens at the back may not even be noticed.

I know i can't really say anything now, as i was not there but i did mention on here before about the flag burning. Unfortunalty i had an exam 1st thing monday morning and today :)

Anyway the event has passed and we can learn for the future. No one is saying that it wasnt a success. It always is and will grow :doh:

Gurfateh!!

again- i'm not defending anyone doing naughty antics- just think we should deal with issues there and then so as to not leave complaining about this and that- sounds like those old women everyone has in their relations who go to your family's wedding, eat the food and then complain about service having not done anything about it.

During the G8 protests Bob Gelfdof will get activists to do non-politically correct protests and then denounce the actions they did but not the activists themselves. He does this to get media attention for the cause of Africa.

From those who complain- I'm much more interested in ways we can make the rally more effective? how should we best get media's attention whilst remaining politicially correct? Any ideas?

Peace