Baba Nand Singh Jee - What is he doing?

Guest SScom

noonespecial and ms514 have hit it on the spot, that's exactly what it was for.. many great gurmukh piyaaray heeray rattan gursikhs have used some devices to aid in their bhagti....

this is one such story... Baba Gurbachan Singh Bhindrawalle also used this device. When you visit Mehta Chowk, there is a seperate area designated specially for where Baba Gurbachan Singh used to do his bhagti. it is in a very secluded, somewhat private area, and if i remember, it may even be in a basement.

Either way, there is Guruji's saroop there, and yeah, babaji used to use this device to aid in his bhagti. Keeping the back straight MAY or MAY NOT have DIRECT spiritual significance, but Indirectly, if your back is straight and you're not wasting any energy to KEEP it straight....then all your energy can go towards your bhagti..

actually, another really cool story i heard was of Baba Isher Singh Ji of Rara Sahib... (someone correct me, i may be mixing up gurusikhs here).....

before i tell this story, i wanna warn you that for whatever reason...some ppl might find this offensive

anyways, baba isher singh (i THINK) used to do bhagti outdoors. He would spend days and nights and hours and hours sitting, doing simran, doing tapasiya... clearly, doing something like this would make you tired.. welll, babji used to sit under a tree... and this tree had a couple very low branches... so babaji used to take his kesh and tie it around the branch.... that way, whenever he got tired and his head dropped or his back slouched from fatigue, his hair would be pulled, causing him to stir and sit up straight and continue his paath....

I didn't beleive this story at first, but when i thought about it, i guses if sikhi preaches alot about practicality, then this is a practical use for your kesh if it really helps in bhagti...

anywhoo... i'm sure ppl will have a problem with that second story...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latter story about tieing the kesh, i was told that about Baba Nand Singh Ji. Baba Ji also used 2 sit on the side of a well (when they were a young child when they did bhagti) so that if they fell asleep, they would fall in, hence the fear of falling in helped Baba Ji stay awake.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru jiki fatehhh!!

yea was told that Baba Nand Singh ji used totie his kesh (me mum told me)

and Sant Isher Singh Ji used to do bhagati like this: in winter he would stand in this river or body of water that flows in Rara sahib and do bhagati and in summer he would sit in the middle and have fire all around him.

i know some might say tapasiya is wrong in sikhi or what ever

but i dont know

i had my doubts as well but then one day(yea for the first time after so long i actually paid attenstion for a bit) heard "jappiya tapiyya di kamayi da dhiyan dhar key bolna ji vaheguro" and there is more if we read Gurbani we'll understand with Gurusahib jis kirpa!

we know that its not easy to reach the stage where ones rom rom does simran

unlike most of us, they knew that this body is given for limited time and thus is for one to unite with Akal purakh.

and now if we wana do ninda...or somethig like that ...

hey go ahead...its not their loss..they have reached their home...

wouldn't hurt them! :nihungsmile: they made their lives saffli.. blush.gif

bhul chuk muaff karni

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

why would he do bhagti with fire all around him. grin.gif Does this have any meaning. Like what will fire do. He stands in the middle of the river? What is the point of standing in the middle of the river. Seriously i don't know why people get ammused by listening to these stories. what does fire and water have to do with gurbani???????????????? wacko.gif Please tell me because im pretty sure this has no accordance with gurbani. Guru ji told us to get away from bhankandi stuff like this.

Bhul chuk mafi

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

The reason they have that sher's mouth/skin is just a symbol to this sakhi.

When Baba Nand Singh ji use to do bhagti there would be 4-5 lions who would come and sit all around him, so that he could not be disturbed by anyone, people have witnessed this and this is why at most Nanaksar Gurdwaras they have the symbol of shers in forms of statues or fake heads.

why would he do bhagti with fire all around him.  grin.gif Does this have any meaning. Like what will fire do. He stands in the middle of the river? What is the point of standing in the middle of the river. Seriously i don't know why people get ammused by listening to these stories. what does fire and water have to do with gurbani???????????????? wacko.gif   Please tell me because im pretty sure this has no accordance with gurbani. Guru ji told us to get away from bhankandi stuff like this.

Bhul chuk mafi

105335[/snapback]

if u'd been reading the posts, u'd see that these weren't anything ritualistic or symbolic, they were techniques they used to keep themselves awake and energized during simran.

why would he do bhagti with fire all around him.  grin.gif Does this have any meaning. Like what will fire do. He stands in the middle of the river? What is the point of standing in the middle of the river. Seriously i don't know why people get ammused by listening to these stories. what does fire and water have to do with gurbani???????????????? wacko.gif   Please tell me because im pretty sure this has no accordance with gurbani. Guru ji told us to get away from bhankandi stuff like this.

Bhul chuk mafi

105335[/snapback]

it is against sikhi to do these things alone and ecpect to achieve mukti through doing this. As long as you are doing real bhagti at the same time, its up to you how you do it.

could someone ive me the definition of brahmgiani?