Why the bare legs?

Sat1176

Dearest Guru Ki Sangat,

Recently I came across a few Sikhs males who were wearing long kurtha chollas (normal members of the sangat) along with the 5 Ks yet they only appeared to be wearing their Khecharas with their legs left bare. This post is not a criticism but a simple query to ask the reasoning behind this?

Would we consider it appropriate if a lady were to dress the same?

Bhul Chuk Maaf

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dearest Guru Ki Sangat,

Recently I came across a few Sikhs males who were wearing long kurtha chollas (normal members of the sangat) along with the 5 Ks yet they only appeared to be wearing their Khecharas with their legs left bare. This post is not a criticism but a simple query to ask the reasoning behind this?

Would we consider it appropriate if a lady were to dress the same?

Bhul Chuk Maaf

106894[/snapback]

Nihang Singhs always wear their bana without pajama but their kashera usually comes around 2inches below the knew so most of leg is covered up. There are a few people who wear a pajama with bana but maryada typically dont so we dont!!

All the old school singhs wuda been without pajama back in the day coz they stick to ya legs when you on the battlefield and coz they wuda been ready to fight at anytime, not practical to say "hol up g, needs to take ma trousers off" so they went without. Maybe in winter they mite have worn coz of the cold but thats it i guess...

I dnt hav your answer to the woman question but its like sayin something are jst the way they are huna?

Thanks for your response All-info. I have the utmost respect for any Sikh in bana :nihungsmile: and it kind of reinforced what I was already thinking. I came to the conclusion that it must have been down to extremely bad muddy conditions on the battle field where a trouser was not practical and would easily get dirty or ripped etc and would not be so easy to clean or change.

:TH:

I wear bana wid out no legs, dont get very far dow, cus da wind woooooo gosh, cause bare problems, lol bus my bana keeps like opening wen da wind blows, buh one time der were strong winds, nd like i kept sorting it out, buh den it kept blowing so i fort forget dis, so i left it, and i was walking down da street wid my bana behind me nd my kachera showing.

lemme tell u diss much had a nice breeze

i think chola looks really gooooooood!

big up taksali101 & kumi who wear it without needing a specific event/reason to :doh:  :doh:

106952[/snapback]

actualli i wore it cus my mate went to india dat day, i wanted to giv him a laugh so i wore it for too reasons, so he cn laugh, and i aint wearing nuting else about 5 in da mornin

I wear bana wid out no legs, dont get very far dow, cus da wind woooooo gosh, cause bare problems, lol bus my bana keeps like opening wen da wind blows, buh one time der were strong winds, nd like i kept sorting it out, buh den it kept blowing so i fort forget dis, so i left it, and i was walking down da street wid my bana behind me nd my kachera showing.

lemme tell u diss much had a nice breeze

106950[/snapback]

Kumi bruv Please Please Please pray.gif can you start writing in proper English, it takes me ages to try and figure out what you mean. :doh: @

All-info and Sat:

Why not a woman?

I think it would be cool to do that!

Got to break the ice right! blush.gif

106963[/snapback]

I don't think there's anything stopping a Bibi wearing a kachera in the Nihang style.

106967[/snapback]

I think its just the comfort level.. and also that. people here aren't used to seeing girls bare their legs if they dont shave them......

i would love to know if girls do this though cus it is a good way to break the norm and give some people a few shocks at the same time hehe

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• Umm, that's totally irrational, bro. There are plenty of prakash-dara Singhs in Punjab (less than we'd like, but still plenty). No one cares that you are sabat soorat. It isn't 1986. You can walk around in chola, kurta-pajama, or jeans. Whatever. If you want the look @dallysingh101 is referring to, just go into a cheap clothing shop (not a Western-style mall) and buy some shirts for 250 rupees or a track suit for 2000 rupees. You'll get the cheap stuff made in some sweatshop in Bombay.
    • The Mind is Jyot Saroop (Waheguru), but the mind is under the influence of five evils… Through Naam Simran( Rememberance), the mind will begin to detach from evil, and get back to its original form ( MANN TU JYOT SAROOP HEH)… Until the mind breaks free from the five evils, one will go through the cycle of paap and punn….which leads to Karma… Naam Simran destroys past karma, and prevents new karma coming into fruition… I did this, I did that… This non realisation of the Jyot Saroop gives rise to paap and Punn, which in turn gives birth to suffering and misery…
    • I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 

Important Information

Terms of Use