Rakhriya

WGJKKWGJKF

i dont get it  wacko.gif

i've got a pic of bebe nanaki tieing a lakhri on sri guru nanak dev ji.

and theres loads more of them.

and secondly sooo many sikhs practice it.

isn't it NOT meant to signify anything religious but just the union

between a brother and sister.

and i know this has nothing to do with the topic but theres meant to be

abit of controversy with gurdwara marriage ceremonies. i've heard

some ppl say that there are cultural elements that have been included

in it and as a result has been altered? sorry for raising a totally different topic!

can someone please elaborate on and explain the above issues?

114699[/snapback]

K taking out any religious manner, whether it hindu or what!! dnt matter, lets push that aside for 30seconds!!

Its a money making scam hence so many families do it!! Notice it, the ones with more daughters will knock on ya door (guys) coz they know u gona b giving out something!!!!! - ie money or some other gift!!!

The reason i stopped was this going back yrs now!! I have to give money or gifts and in return all i get is a piece of string!!! which itches me and i pull off within like 10seconds of goin on neway!!!!!

Then back to religion now, not in sikhi, if Maharaj is there, what more protection do you need? They gave us Bani, thats the protection! They gave us Sarbloh! Thats protection!!!

What more do u need? whether your male or female, u can still protect yourself.

WJKK WJKF

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the above post by akaal purakh di fauj is soooo sooooo true.

BUT

many people say that Guru Nanak Dev Ji tied one on his sister is this true??? or is it just made up to merge sikhism with hinduism???

somebody plz let me know, my dad will make me wear them on the day :wub:

114678[/snapback]

Firstly it would have been Bibi Nanaki that tied it on Guroo Saahib and secondly think of it this way...Maharaj declined to wear the Jinaeoo (the hindu string worn by men) as it had no meaning, so why would Guroo Saahib tie a different piece of string to represent something just and insignificant???

I took a random shabad from SikhiToTheMax and this shabad came up, its the story behind the Janeoo by Guroo Naanak Daev Jee, so fitting! WOW!!

sloku mÚ 1 ]

dieAw kpwh sMqoKu sUqu jqu gMFI squ vtu ]

eyhu jnyaU jIA kw heI q pwfy Gqu ]

nw eyhu qutY nw mlu lgY nw eyhu jlY n jwie ]

DMnu su mwxs nwnkw jo gil cly pwie ]

caukiV muil AxwieAw bih caukY pwieAw ]

isKw kMin cVweIAw guru bRwhmxu iQAw ]

Ehu muAw Ehu JiV pieAw vyqgw gieAw ]1]

Shalok, First Mehl:

Make compassion the cotton, contentment the thread, modesty the knot and truth the twist.

This is the sacred thread of the soul; if you have it, then go ahead and put it on me.

It does not break, it cannot be soiled by filth, it cannot be burnt, or lost.

Blessed are those mortal beings, O Nanak, who wear such a thread around their necks.

You buy the thread for a few shells, and seated in your enclosure, you put it on.

Whispering instructions into others' ears, the Brahmin becomes a guru.

But he dies, and the sacred thread falls away, and the soul departs without it. ||1||

Think logical and we will see how great our Satguroo is!

Dhan Dhan Satguroo Sree Guroo Granth Saahib Jee Maahaaraaj!

114682[/snapback]

WOW! :wub:

apparently its a raajput tradition not hindu nor sikh..

its cultural. Please do not confuse culture wid religion (this is whereits linked to marriage ceremonies)

neway totaly agree wid the above posts. abt the pics.. well any12 can draw them. memba guru ji never let ne1 draw/paint them. so how culd they no? n i min there r so many images of each Guru Ji's... wich 1 is right?! they jsut interpretation huna?

the above post by akaal purakh di fauj is soooo sooooo true.

BUT

many people say that Guru Nanak Dev Ji tied one on his sister is this true??? or is it just made up to merge sikhism with hinduism???

somebody plz let me know, my dad will make me wear them on the day :wub:

114678[/snapback]

Firstly it would have been Bibi Nanaki that tied it on Guroo Saahib and secondly think of it this way...Maharaj declined to wear the Jinaeoo (the hindu string worn by men) as it had no meaning, so why would Guroo Saahib tie a different piece of string to represent something just and insignificant???

I took a random shabad from SikhiToTheMax and this shabad came up, its the story behind the Janeoo by Guroo Naanak Daev Jee, so fitting! WOW!!

sloku mÚ 1 ]

dieAw kpwh sMqoKu sUqu jqu gMFI squ vtu ]

eyhu jnyaU jIA kw heI q pwfy Gqu ]

nw eyhu qutY nw mlu lgY nw eyhu jlY n jwie ]

DMnu su mwxs nwnkw jo gil cly pwie ]

caukiV muil AxwieAw bih caukY pwieAw ]

isKw kMin cVweIAw guru bRwhmxu iQAw ]

Ehu muAw Ehu JiV pieAw vyqgw gieAw ]1]

Shalok, First Mehl:

Make compassion the cotton, contentment the thread, modesty the knot and truth the twist.

This is the sacred thread of the soul; if you have it, then go ahead and put it on me.

It does not break, it cannot be soiled by filth, it cannot be burnt, or lost.

Blessed are those mortal beings, O Nanak, who wear such a thread around their necks.

You buy the thread for a few shells, and seated in your enclosure, you put it on.

Whispering instructions into others' ears, the Brahmin becomes a guru.

But he dies, and the sacred thread falls away, and the soul departs without it. ||1||

Think logical and we will see how great our Satguroo is!

Dhan Dhan Satguroo Sree Guroo Granth Saahib Jee Maahaaraaj!

114682[/snapback]

thank you paaji/veerji!!!

:wub: :wub:

im abit dopey when it comes to stuff so im sorry! blush.gifblush.gif

I know Rakhria is against sikhi, i think people on this forum are going ott. In this generation people don't look at in a way that if i tie a rakhri on you, you have to protect me. Its something different now. I think people do it for love. I am totally against rakhria. If My sister came to me and tied one on me, their is no harm done. I can't just reject it. Sikhi is all about prem and pyar. If she ties it and then you give her a tenner, then what harm is done. I think you lot are going ott. Lets concentrate on better things like naam!!