Rakhriya

WGJKKWGJKF

:wub: Guru ji's student :wub:

If you wanna show your sister soem love then sit together and do keertan/simrna or paat, or go Gurudwara together and so some seva or buy her a dastar or a gutka. Why follow a hinud tradition which demeans women, full respect to all all my sisters who choose not to go ahead with this false ritual :wub: :wub: To my brothers wake up don't follow these silly rituals read bani understnad that Guru ji comdems this type of behaviour over and over again in bani. :TH:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gurfateh.

From ur comment on ppl that died in india. I was in india (punjab) last year. NO one died because of rakrhiyan. It was all a big joke. ppl india were saying that loads of boys died abroad, ie in engalnd and canada.

last year the day of rakhriyan (30th August) was 2 days b4 Guru Granth Sahib 4ooth year parkash day. We went to c the khalsa chetna marchs go past our local city. there was no mention of ppl dying. then nxt day we were gona go to Amritsar for the celebrations. wen i woke up in the moring, i heard ppl saying take of the rakhriyan ir u shall die. ppl had phone calls form england and canada telling ppl to take of the rakhriyan. ppl were saying the same stuff in amritsar during the celebrations. But NO one died cos of rakhriyan.

the whole of punjab was talking about these alleged deaths. sum families forcefully tuk off there kids' rakhriyan. there was no anthrax or ne thing like that. i went to c the panth's greatest dhadi, there were saying the same thing, but they didnt believe n e of it. whole punjab was under this superstition

Sum1 told that sum made a bet of 5 lakh rupees. if the he cud take off the rakhriyan of all of punjab, then he shall get 5 lakh rupees. apparently these young men lived in the malsian-shahkote area of punjab. (i'm sure if this bet tuk place, i just heard this)

one only dies under the Will Of Waheguru, not by tying threads to ur wrist.

ppl were also that they cud c Guru Nanak Dev Ji and Guru Gobind Singh in the moon. not many ppl in punajb hav knowledge of wat Guru Ji is telling us. ppl in the pind didnt know it was Guru Granth Sahib 4ooth Years parkash anniversary cuming up, until i told them.

Bul Chuk Maaf

Guest Lohgarh Singh

wjkk wjkf

the rakhei tradition was rajput tradition. yes, some sikhs were rajputs so maybe thats why some of us celebrate it

read this,

"Some Rajput traditions

The Rajput lifestyle was designed to foster a martial spirit. The festival of Rakhi, known as Lakhri in Punjab, is typically held in August. The rakhis, or bracelets, are tied to a brother's wrist by his sisters. The belief amongst Rajputs was that the bracelets would avert evil in battle and designated those who would make a proper return from battle (Tod i.463). This festival was and is still celebrated all over India. Tod described at length the bond between the Rajputs and their swords. The double-edged scimitar known as the khanda was the favorite weapon of the Rajput. On special occasions, a primary chief would break up a meeting of his chiefs with khanda nareal, or a distribution of swords and coconuts (453). In order to attain a greater bond with one's sword, Rajputs revered their swords and conducted the ritual of Karga Shapna during the annual festival of Navratri"

with kind curtisy of : www.mairrajputs.tripod.com

WJKK WJKF

Some people use Rakhriya as an excuse to visit cousins. Most of our "traditions" are inherited from our elders, and Rakhriya is one of them. But, I see it as an excuse to see me cousins.

I love my sisters way too much, I don’t need a piece of string to show them that I’ll always be by their side; I was already given that task by Guru Ji.

Anyways, it’s up to us to decide whether our love for our sisters is worth strings or our hearts.

Guru Ka Soulja

Your post is both informative and largely correct, we can spend days on a whole load of topics we consider Hindu – from Rakhri, Lohri, Divali etc to even more ridiculous propositions proposed by some frankly paranoid and hysterical “Sikh” minds, such as reciting Barah Maha on Sangrand is a Hindu custom, that taking out 5 portions of Parshad for the Punj Pyare and a sixth for Guru Sahib is akin to Hindu Moorti Puja, that Karah Parshad and the concept of blessed food is taken from Hindu influence as is the Kirpan Bhet (supposedly evidence of the Devi Cult – however it is rare to find a similar practice amongst Tantrik Shakats!) through to the suggestion that even doing Parkarma during Lavan is a Hindu adoption!

In short, we are not going to get very far with such thought, only move closer and closer to the ill conceived views of the Kala Afghanites – in whom the seemingly untiring ghost of Teja Singh Bhasauria and others like him continues to take ahold.

I am not going argue for or against Rakhri – that is a choice for each individual for make for themselves. However let’s get a few things corrected, the accusations that a Sister tying a symbolic thread on her Brother’s hand is no more sexist than other silly arguments I’ve heard concerning allegations of sexist practice such as the Groom walking ahead of the Bride during Lavan Phera, why can’t they take it in turns or walk at the same level (holding hands one would presume?) or the concept that the “girl has to leave her family and adopt the new family name, why can’t it be the other way around?!!” and so on.

Ultimately, I can understand how one could get hung up on things like Rakhri on the grounds that is a pagan festival that results in people belittling their sister’s status and look into religious connotations associated with it, or one can treat it like a purely cultural custom and / or similar to the way one may treat birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas etc – all depends on your if you feel any of these really adversely affect one’s life as a Sikh simply by exchanging gifts, sending cards or going for a holiday. If it is not comfortable for you then fine, but let’s not make a song and dance about it as mentioned above and focus on more important matters…

Finally, Guru Ka Souljas article is a good one and explains much in the way of external influence during the 18th century on the Khalsa, where those close to the Rajputs, whom they regarded as Khsatriyas (Warriors) sought to adopt many of their traditions and ways to emulate the much touted Khsatirya Maryada, wherein the strong Devi influence present within the rehitnamas of time and how this expanded to other parts of the Khalsa ways, similarly too was the influence of the Marathas on those settled in the south lured by the Nizaam and adopted many aspects of local dress codes and customs, and like the Devi myth sought to link these with Guru Gobind Singh through selective use of scriptures and texts as the pristine and original form of the Khalsa proper…anyhow that is a separate discussion….

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I just came across this topic today so I'm just gonna quote my reply to a similar thread on the W!N Forums.

Lakree does not go with Sikhi. In the Hindu Religion the string is tied on the Brother's/Cousin's hand by the Sister/Cousin. It is done so that the guy will help the girl whenever she is in trouble. However, there is no practicality in this whatsoever. Let's say a girl gets attacked by some guys on her way to the store or something. The brother is supposed to help her because of the Lakree she tied on him. If the the guy lives in India and the girl lives in Canada, what good is the Lakree going to do then?

Also, a girl tying a Lakree on a guy says that she can't protect herself and that she

needs him to protect her. Equality? Where art thou? Also, if someone's being attacked or oppressed or something in anyway, it is a Sikhs duty to protect them anyway. It doesn't matter if your a girl or a guy, the victim is a girl or a guy, or what religion the victim is, a Sikh helps anybody in trouble.

And regarding the first line, I understand now that it is a Rajput tradition.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!