Sikhs - Why Do They Cut Their Hair.

desilad

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Discussion with my fellow work mates, over lunch, turned on to religion. Sikhs why dont they cut their hair. After discussing things such as we shouldnt cut things given to us, and that the reason why we cut our nail is that they are non-living, where are hair is a living part of the body.

What i couldnt answer was: The living part of the hair is the fossil i.e the root of the hair. The rest of it is non living just as the nail is.

I know this is a silly argument, but rather than arguing I will like to give some proper answers with backings. Is the above true of how the living part of hair is only the fossil. Can you help me with some educative, biological answers.

Much Appreciated.

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sat Sri Akal:

Scientifically, nails of wild animals and humans who live without shoes, the nails are worn down and broken down to about the same length to which we cut them to. You do not see gorillas with 10 inch long nails do you?

Similarly, animals with long hair do not sit there pulling out or cutting their hair. Lions have long hair and nails. They grind their nails short, but do not go around cutting their hair.

It is the natural way.

To a Sikh of course, it is Guru Ka Hukam.

Sat Sri Akal:

Scientifically, nails of wild animals and humans who live without shoes, the nails are worn down and broken down to about the same length to which we cut them to.  You do not see gorillas with 10 inch long nails do you?

Similarly, animals with long hair do not sit there pulling out or cutting their hair.  Lions have long hair and nails.  They grind their nails short, but do not go around cutting their hair.

It is the natural way.

To a Sikh of course, it is Guru Ka Hukam.

115370[/snapback]

yes singh = lions. WE R LIONS! sons of guru Gobind SIngh Ji. He treated with so much respect! loved us to bits. Khalsa Meri Jaan Ki Jaan! :wub:

SO isnt it right to love Him back?

Also, Nails = bad for hygiene.. Hair = not coz u can wash it. refer 2 the other topic abt nails and hair...

some random stuff i came across...

The hair on your body protects the radiance of the magnetic field of your body and protects the radiance of your soul.

Hair on our legs regulates our glandular system

Hair under our arm pits balances the parasympathetic symphathetic nervous systems and the brain.

However, and this is important, we keep hair in Sikhism because the Gurujis who came before us said so. That is it. No scientific explanation, no physical explanation. The Guruji said to keep your hair, so we do. That is all the explanation a Sikh should need.

Hairs are "antennas" that transmit energy.

Have you ever like had all your hair stand on end during like simran and recital of Gurbani kirtan etc? that kinda thing. And remember the longer the antenna the better the signal :TH:

some random stuff i came across...
The hair on your body protects the radiance of the magnetic field of your body and protects the radiance of your soul.

Hair on our legs regulates our glandular system

Hair under our arm pits balances the parasympathetic symphathetic nervous systems and the brain.

However, and this is important, we keep hair in Sikhism because the Gurujis who came before us said so. That is it. No scientific explanation, no physical explanation. The Guruji said to keep your hair, so we do. That is all the explanation a Sikh should need.

Hairs are "antennas" that transmit energy.

Have you ever like had all your hair stand on end during like simran and recital of Gurbani kirtan etc? that kinda thing. And remember the longer the antenna the better the signal :TH:

115385[/snapback]

lol haha i lyk dat antenna thing :wub:

WJKK

WJKF

When people ask me why I dont cut my hair, I find that it is easier for them to understand if I tell them that Sikhs are not to cut their hair, get pierceiings or tatoos, because Sikh people believe that the body is beautiful as is. As for the nails, if we didn't cut them they would just break off. And its not like we dont comb our hair to take the loose hair out, just like taking care of the nails.

Fateh!

we shouldnt cut our hair because waheguru gave it to us and we should respect the fact that we have been given hair so we shouldnt cut it but to tell the honest truth up till recently i used to cut my hair an i think that a majority of ppl do it do look good

WJKK WJKP!