Gatka..is His What Its About

shanti

:doh: @

Okay i dunno much about Gatka..ive only read about the basics of it very briefly. I was searching for sum videos of gatka and i found one where "ragra" was being done ummm it says that "ragra" is prepararation of the drink for the martrys the "Shaheedi Degh" It says the drink is laced with cannibis!! Can sumone please advise if this is true or what..and if it is true..its contrary to Gurmat..so why would a "Sikh" warrior do things that arent Sikh...i mean why fight for sumthing u dont follow yourself.

If that wasnt bad enough...the next video was of "Chatka" or the killing of a selected goat no.gif isnt that again...contrary to Gurmat! i am very confused..and is this wat all gatka is all about? grin.gifohmy.gif:)

I'm not too knowledable about nihungs, gatka or their practives but from my understandings of it and what i've read. The practise of taking cannabis (or pung in punjabi) is ment to give healing powers to the warrior putting him into such a state of mind, that when going into battle, they do not feel pain.

About the slaughter of the goat well, in war people get killed in nasty ways and during conflicts with those who wanted to eliminate Sikhi from earth. Warriors had to be hardened to be ready to kill or be killed to protect the faith, the people and doing it in a rightous way. The killing of a goat is done in one strike method to ease the sufffering as opposed to the muslim halal or jewish khosar method of slitting the throat of an animal and making it bleed to death in agony for sacrifice to God. And I believe the goat once dead is eaten for sustainence, so it does not go to waste and it wasnt killed for the hell of it.

Apologises to the sangat if i've got any of that wrong, correct me by all means.

Yeah ! Even in Ayurveda, (which is totally vegetarian in every respect) there is a certain concoction prepared out of goat meat. It is called 'Aja Mamsa Rasayan'. It is suppposed to have some healing powers.

'Bhang' in hindi and 'pung' in punjabi is a very popular drink taken by all manner of Indian Sadhus, saints, followers, and even common men. It was made popular as an offering to Shiva. It is also valued for its therapeutic properties. Even the punjabi dance of bhangra is supposed to have derived from the word 'bhang'.

Usually the harvest of cannabis takes place around 'holi' and 'baisakhi' and that is when the nihungs celebrate holla mohalla.

Sat Sri Akal:

Cannibas was a battlefield medication used to relieve pain. There is little possibility that it would be used to enhance performance in battle as it does contain mind-altering properties (not conducive to battle), but may help to displace the pain. Saddhus and Native American sages have been known to take many narcotics for mind altering properties, as they associated these with visions and signs of the Gods.

Chatka is the act of killing with one stroke. In desparate times, a Sikh may not have had anything to eat besides meat, so they killed with one strong and swift stroke an animal out of mercy. Nowadays, however, it has become a test of skill at wielding the sword with deadly precision.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

i fink you went onto a wrong site... :)

125353[/snapback]

LOL.gif

true though that stuff has nothing to do with sikhi it is just the misconception of some people. According to some bhung(cannabis) was used in battle to lessen the pain or somthing well Gurbanee says prabh kai simaran dhookh jam nasai so this will heal your pain not a drug.

if i have offended anyone i am sorry

vaheguroo jee ka khalsa vaheguroo jee ke fateh

within bhia gurdas ji ke varah it says that same 'drug' that is bad for u in one circumstance, is good for u in another.... u have to take things in the right circumstance.

now u went to www.<banned site filter activated>.... if u dnt wish to read that or read wa is says or believe blah blah blah... u cannot go against the vidiya it self...

secondly u may not like certain nihang traditions.... like look at Akali Nihang Baba Nihal Singh Ji he is none sukha drinking nihang singh... but the same time i went to a harievela gurdwara they were more than happy to offer it to me.... even tho they are vegies they dnt sit their n complain... they are more than willing to tell u that sukha and meat were the ways of the khalsa of old... not these are my views... this is what Baba Nihal Singh said to me as i spoke to him at gurdwara haria vela sahib and other gurdwara's

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee FAteh!!

even tho they are vegies they dnt sit their n complain... they are more than willing to tell u that sukha and meat were the ways of the khalsa of old... not these are my views... this is what Baba Nihal Singh said to me as i spoke to him at gurdwara haria vela sahib and other gurdwara's

I don't want to get into no debate or anything, but the views of Baba Nihal Singh need to be clarified:

Baba Nihal Singh will tell you that Nihang Singhs of the past and now do eat meat and take bhang. They themselves do not promote bhang or meat-eating, although some Nihangs at Harian-Vela may eat meat or take Bhang. Baba Nihal Singh says there's no need for Gursikhs to eat meat or take bhang in the present circumstances.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguroo

Guest Lohgarh Singh

wjkk wjkf

its all a controversy, chatka and bhang.

bhang, i myself have seen quotes from gurbani specificaly saying do not take bhang, its clear as day, how else cud it be interpreted as?however, some nihang dals state that bhang was used bak in the days as a pain surpressent, however, one may argue that the only thign we needed was naam, and thats wat pulled as thru.

chatka, chatka is actually a method of killing. it is a quik blow, that enables a warrior to kill or decapitate in that single blow. it is actually a technique, and some nihang still pratice it for two reasons: 1) to practice and perfect the technique (as it hard to pull it off in a real jaang) the second reason is to train the mind. this is a VERY important part of the warrior lifestyle, trainin the mind, i talk from experience. a martial art is no use if one hasnt got the mind, trust me i know wat im tlkin bout.

however, one argues that a sikh is to be merciful, how is killing a innocent goat merciful? and that maharaj and akaal has blessed our faujis with every technique and mind, any mistke the faujis made were a test from akaal. fro example at the lohgarh fort wen the war elephant came, maharaj asked one singh to go fite it, the singh made up an exuse and ran.

i have dn quite a bit of research on these controversys, as i know quite a bit of ppl.