Question On Kirpaan

Khalsa Fauji

Gurfateh!!

Basically i was just waiting at the lift in my halls when a girl asked me, what right i have as to wearing a sword, i explained the religious article law and my brief knowledge on blades in the UK.

However one question i was unable to answer was; what gives me the right to wear a 9" blade without the fear of being stopped or arrested while if she was to wear it she probably would.

I tried to explain that Sikhs have not given the police any reason for the law to be change and how on a whole Amritdharis are law abiding citizens who strive for peace and justice.

She replied, shes a law abiding citizen who has never done anything wrong yet why can one group of people be allowed to carry blades while the majority can not or would most likely be arrested???

I felt i could not give a strong answer......

How would you reply?????

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!

Sat Sri Akal:

It then becomes her right to fight for her right to bear arms. Can a police officer follow her for every moment in life? Is this world full of people who all follow the law? It is time to get over the false illusion that the goverment will protect you at every turn and become familiar with the reality that at any given moment, you may be attacked, beaten, or murdered. Be glad that there is a Sikh in the elevator with a Kirpan to protect your well-being. What if, instead of a Sikh, there was a rapist? What would she do...quote her law-abiding status to the criminal? It is with tremendous effort that the Sikhs have secured their right to th Kirpan. Perhaps it is time for her to also fight for her right to defend herself, because there may come a time when nobody else is around to help her.

Time to snap out of this naive state of existence.

Gurfateh!!

Basically i was just waiting at the lift in my halls when a girl asked me, what right i have as to wearing a sword, i explained the religious article law and my brief knowledge on blades in the UK.

However one question i was unable to answer was; what gives me the right to wear a 9" blade without the fear of being stopped or arrested while if she was to wear it she probably would.

I tried to explain that Sikhs have not given the police any reason for the law to be change and how on a whole Amritdharis are law abiding citizens who strive for peace and justice.

She replied, shes a law abiding citizen who has never done anything wrong yet why can one group of people be allowed to carry blades while the majority can not or would most likely be arrested???

How would you reply?????

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!

128129[/snapback]

Maybe because Guru Gobind Singh Ji created the Khalsa we are entitled! Maybe it was because the British banned Kirpan when they came to india and it took a little boy! Not sure of the age, think he was under 10 tho!! stood in the court and refused to remove!! Because of this courage shown by him, the council agreed sikhs can wear a kirpan irespective of Size. Only difference is now, we are required to wear a smaller kirpan as we do not live in our surrounding, we are in theirs but if you have to wear a smaller size, add another shastar to you, ie a kara, maybe a nakha (one u can put in ur dhumala need be to u know, show its only for decoration :) if u get me...)

Some people will never understand the right to the kirpan as they never take the time to appreciate why its there. They fail to remember its the sword of justice, itss given to he army of akaal purakh! the ones who keep justice and protect ALL who are in danger. The body guards of society!

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Kee Fateh

Veer Ji, if I was there I would tell her that I am not stopping her from carrying any kind of weapon, the government is, so not to blame me. I would also tell her that I feel nothing wrong with it being legal for people to carry weapons with them.

This is the way I see it, most of our society is good, there is only a hand full of people within each societcy that are criminals, the government is making it illegal the right to bear arms but the governmetn cant protect us all the time, so the criminals dont have a problem with doing something illegal so they carry weapons, but then a non-criminal will not carry a weapon because it is illegal. And thats why the criminals always take advantage of society.

I would also tell her that I am a Sikh, and this is one of the symbols in my religion, and that you should think of me and my people as another organization of cops because I would risk my life for you.(and then smile) lol

Gurfateh!!

How would you reply?????

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!

128129[/snapback]

What gives you the right to wear the kirpan? The right to religious freedom.

The same law that gives her the right NOT to wear a kirpan without the fear of being stopped or arrested

Why would she be arrested if she was wearing it?

Because as she is not a Sikh, she would be carrying a weapon, not wearing a kirpan.

She makes a false assumption in the second part of the question that a Sikh wearing the kirpan and someone else wearing a 9” blade is the same thing. It is not. There are numerous examples…a martial arts studio may use weapons that are otherwise illegal to posses. A car driver can drive on a freeway lane, but a cyclist may get arrested for doing so. In many places a tourist may leave the nation with a great deal of cash, but a citizen is prohibited. If a man does not wear a shirt, it may be fine. Someone else may get arrested. Etc. etc.

If she wants to live in a place where you don’t have the right to wear a kirpan, then logic suggests that she also supports a state where everyone must wear a kirpan or where everyone is equal as per some criteria chosen by her. Why did she choose the kirpan? Euro-centric?

Does she live in Britain, America, Australia etc. … Does she pay taxes? –if yes, then she’s funding killing by proxy with weapons by invasions in violation of international law. Perhaps she should learn about sikhi and that way not be so judgmental, perhaps she could benefit from the wearing of the kirpan? :)

Gurfateh!!

Firstly thanks for all your replies, glad to see you all share the same views as myself.

One thing still remains lurking in my head, she said to me theres good and bad in all religions including Sikhism, which i agree so her point was how can the law trust everyone with a kirpaan because we cant all have good intentions.

I replied simply as all amritdharis take vows about standing up for justice and not using the kirpaan as a weapon unless all means have failed, which obviously the British Government trust, and that its taken us centuries to gain that trust.

Anyways what i think you're not realising here is she wasnt asking me what right i have to be carrying a Kirpaan, but why British Legal System allows Sikhs who could be good or bad to wear a blade (inc. scots) but no one else can, why doesnt everyone abide by the same law????

If you can see the difference wacko.gif

Thanks alot veera :TH:

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Gurfateh!!