Kaam After Nitnem

WJKK, WJKF Sangat Ji

Just wanted to share a few experiences with you.

Sometimes after Nitnem I decide to go to sleep for just an hour or two so that I don't feel tired throughout the day cause the night before I get normally around I'd say between 4-5 hours. Otherwise what happens is I can get easily irritable if I've not had my full sleep which can lead to anger.

But its odd that when I get back to bed after reciting nitnem suddenly these kaam thoughts just enter my mind and that leads to a similar dream. I've noticed this regular pattern. I also get odd silly/random dreams at this time. Throughout the day any of these thoughts, I try and control but at that time I can't even control them.

Sometimes I don't go back to bed and go to the gurdwara and then come back and have a nap. But even then I get these kaam thoughts. I'm so confused am I sleeping too much or too less and why is this kaam so strong after nitnem?

I try and find a balance as Gurbani says sleeping more than as needed leads to the five vices running aroung in the mind.

Has anybody else had any similar experiences? please help

Baljivan Singh

Vaheguru ji,

- Have a tape player in your room with simran/keertan tapes whenever you goto sleep just put the tape on low volume, whenever your mind wanders it'll listen to the simran/keertan.

- Have pictures of Guru Sahibs in front of your bed.

If you have dreams with such thoughts then the only real cure for that is reading Gurbani, more specifically SOHILA SAHIB, or certain types of meditation.

There's meditation of all types, try to sit down like 10-15 minutes daily, just concentrating on your breathing nothing else, just how your breath goes in and out, once you've made your mind focus on your breathing, thoughts can't enter your mind, because your mind is focused on the breathing.

At first your mind will go off, but bring it back to the breathing, try it.

Vaheguru ji,

- Have a tape player in your room with simran/keertan tapes whenever you goto sleep just put the tape on low volume, whenever your mind wanders it'll listen to the simran/keertan.

- Have pictures of Guru Sahibs in front of your bed.

If you have dreams with such thoughts then the only real cure for that is reading Gurbani, more specifically SOHILA SAHIB, or certain types of meditation.

There's meditation of all types, try to sit down like 10-15 minutes daily, just concentrating on your breathing nothing else, just how your breath goes in and out, once you've made your mind focus on your breathing, thoughts can't enter your mind, because your mind is focused on the breathing.

At first your mind will go off, but bring it back to the breathing, try it.

129999[/snapback]

bro dont mind...since i m pretty naive in this thing...i wanted to ask since when u doin this breathing techniques and has it been of any help to u in calming ur mind and thoughts? n how often u do this? n who told u to do this breathing ? for exercieses ?? and for how long u do this...like 10 minute 20 mins or wat?

Thanks in advance...

Yaachak !!

bro dont mind...since i m pretty naive in this thing...i wanted to ask since when u doin this breathing techniques and has it been of any help to u in calming ur mind and thoughts? n how often u do this? n who told u to do this breathing ? for exercieses ?? and for how long u do this...like 10 minute 20 mins or wat?

Thanks in advance...

Yaachak !!

Yes bro, Nowadays I rarely do any breathing exercises or techniques, I use to do it before my nitnem in the morning for about 15 minutes, and slowly went to about 30, it was REALLY GOOD in controlling one's thoughts and even helping with anxiety. One of the posts on here prompted me to learn more about breathing techniques, there's a person in India does katha on it, the techniques are related more to Buddhism and the technique is called 'Vipaasna', there are other methods as well, but that one I found to be very useful.

I'm sure if you do a search on it, or even on SikhSangat, you'll find alot of info.

Khalsa Ji I had the same problem. The thins i do.. i dont go bak 2 sleep!

a chardi kala Singh Ji said to me, dont sleep moer than 7 hours.. or it will afect ur bhagti. GO to sleep about 10, and get up normal amritvela time :) its wat i do.. i wake up @ 4-4:30.. do naam jap den nitenm til 6:30 (afta bath ofcourse) den do summing useful like homework..

but the thng is.. you are used to the sleeping afterwards so naturally u'll start falling asleep/nearly fall asleep during anand sahib.. happeend to me. since i stopped sleeping afta nitnem, the problem ran away! ohmy.gif its a weird theory, but who cares about theories tongue.gif its abt the practical stuff

:TH:

take care

Thanks in advance...

Yaachak !!

Yes bro, Nowadays I rarely do any breathing exercises or techniques, I use to do it before my nitnem in the morning for about 15 minutes, and slowly went to about 30, it was REALLY GOOD in controlling one's thoughts and even helping with anxiety. One of the posts on here prompted me to learn more about breathing techniques, there's a person in India does katha on it, the techniques are related more to Buddhism and the technique is called 'Vipaasna', there are other methods as well, but that one I found to be very useful.

I'm sure if you do a search on it, or even on SikhSangat, you'll find alot of info.

130027[/snapback]

I'll post th elink tomorrow with the Vipaasna Audios.

just to add to what Khalsa said, if you become aware of your breathing you will notice that the rythem of the breathing changes accordingly to your thoughts. If Angyr, your breathing will become faster. Just as going to sleep the breathing becomes slower and deeper. Similary according to vipasana, your whole focus is to observe the breathing. Think of breathing as a bridge between your thoughts and the body. If you can control the bridge you can control both the mind and the body.

THe question here should be to control Kaam and not whether you are having sexual thought's!

The fact you have them (sexual thought's) is not bad, but if you were to be obsessed by them, then that is a problem! Clearly you are not obsessed!

Remember, Kaam is not just thoughts about sex, BUT and OBSESSION with sex.

Everyone has thoughts of sex. The average man/woman thinks about sex many time's a day, but that does not make you evil.

You seem to exercising great discipline in your routine, so therefore, the thought of sex entering into your head every now and then (no matter when) is not a problem.

Just be aware of what Kaam is......it is Lust = an OBsession with sex, not sexual thoughts per se.