They Need Our Help! For The Sake Of Their Futures!

Khalsa_Girl_1

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

WE NEED TO HELP THE KIDS!

sangat ji! i just wanted to say some things about sikh parents these days and how their children might NOt make a big impact on the sikh soiety...and just wont ever learn...its sad really no.gif . and im telling you now: I am not out to get every, single sikh parent out there ...im just saying some things that i believe we all should know..(and prob. already know) SO PLEASE PLEASE dont hate me just because you might think that im talking about all parents.

so here it goes...

child: "Mommy, why do we go to the Gurudwara?"

mommy: "Chup kar ke aavde daddy kul jaa ke baijaa!" ("Be quiet and go sit down with your daddy!")

*child thinks* and sees someone doing Chor Sahib in sewa of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

child: "Daady, what is he doing? What is that thing he's swaying back and forth over the big book?"

daddy: "It's not a book. It's Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. He's doing that in respect of our Guru."

child: "What's a guru?"

daddy: "We have 11 Gurus. They teach us what is right and wrong. They are like our fathers. They protect us no matter where we might be."

*silence*

child: "Oh. Wow!

daddy: "Hun Chup kar ke aavde mummy kul jaa ke baijaa." ("Now be quiet and go sit down with your mummy.")

so the child goes back.

...he forgets the question he asked his dad, cuz his mom then says to go to the Langar.

the family goes to the Langar. later, the child sees pictures of our Gurus and other Gursikhs.

child: "Mommy, why are they cutting that mans fingers off? Was he bad?"

mommy: "I don't know. Ask me when we get home."

child: "But then I will forget."

mommy: "No you won't."

child: "How do you know?"

*mother ignores child*

child: "Pleeeeease mommy."

*mommy sighs*

mommy: "That's Baba Buddha Singh ji. And he wasn't bad."

child: "Then why are doing that to him?"

mommy: "Because he did something that he wasn't supposed to."

child: "What did he do? You said that he wasn't bad."

mommy (while rolling her eyes): "Karey jaa ke puchhee(n). Hun khaalaa." ("Ask me when we get home. Now, eat.")

So then the family goes home.

the child forgets and starts to play video games and all....and isn't reminded by his mom that he had questions, meaning he didn't have answers and the knowledge.

soo....what do you sangat ji think of that? did you think that the little child learnt a lot, or that he got the smallest piece(s) of the puzzle? do you think that he didn't get enough, or that he would've learnt later on?

i've seen this too many times...sometimes even worse. its sad really. and then when children grow up they say "Why? Didn't you learn anything??!!"

another thing:

child: "Why is that man wearing that thing on his head?"

mommy: "Because he has to keep his kesh with respect."

child: "What's kesh?"

mommy: "It's hair that isn't cut."

child: "Ooohhh..ok. But how come I dont have one then? or dad?"

mommy: "Beacuse you don't have kesh."

child: "Then can I start to keep it and not cut it ever again? And can I wear one of those too?"

mommy: "NO! Why? You're ok the way you are."

child: "But I want to do what he's doing! He looks cool."

mommy: "But people who wear those can't go to parties....so you won't be able to go to any parties."

child: "Why cant I go to them?"

mommy: "Because most people who have kesh dont go to parties because they dont drink and stuff..."

child: "Oh. So then I can stay in the Gurudwara while you're at the party, right?"

mommy: "NO! who will take care of you?"

child: "Guru ji will. Daddy told me that Guru ji will take care of us no matter where we are."

mommy: "Ran-day. Pattaa nei kehijeeaa galaa karda!" ("Forget it! I don't know what you're talking about!)

*child left in utter confusion....*

yeah so...this is what i see a lot too...and parents like these are the ones who suffer in the end

they prob think that its cool not to really pay attention to sikhi and to live a "so-called modern" life. and that includes to forget sikhi. but they seem to forget that sikhism IS the modern life! haha! its the newst religion in the world...(i think)

also...i wanted to mention about the women who come from india to places like Canada. these women sometimes take advantage of having a say in front of their husbands and sometimes take it too far. like for example: my dad knows this one guy who drives a truck and he used to cross the Canada/ US border..and well he got drunk one day and his wife called the police and now he cant go to the US and so he has to find a new job with the reason of "I got drunk and said wrong things to my wife.".

the parents are going to cry and regret their doings later in life...but thats noe the issue...

the issue is with the kids...whos going to teach them the good stuff??

i think there should be really fun educational classes for these kids...

what do you say everyone???

maybe you might think that this is a stupid post, but i think we should ind a way to help these kids. they need it and its not their faults that they dont get the right education. just my opinion...

i relate so much 2 this post,thats excatly what i went through when i was growin up.i basically didnt find out about sikh history till i went to the library and started to read about sikhi,i was like 20 years old before i even knew the names of all 10 guru ji's.

no.gif the story of typicals... In my opinion, they ave NO identity. Let me explain:

Sikh is someone who follows the Guru - Oh wait you cut your hair dance like a mad man/woman at parties

Punjabi is one who is punjabi - speaks punjabi for example. eg 1:"YEAH menu pata tusi WINDOW nahi OPEN keeta" .. eg 2: "MOM! me apne FRENDS naal OUTING tel challi!"

English - You WANT to be a gorri/gorra but hmmm w8 look at your skin colour. No matter how much distorted eng-punjabi u can speak doesnt make u a bleti.. u born from Punjab, yet you forgot ur background!

So, u'r not sikh, nor Punjabi (your origins) nitehr r u english (obviously).. SO WAT R U?! :umm: @

Yet these kdina people shout the loudest "PROUD TO BE PUNAJBI/SIKH" yet in their hearts they say "OO LETS PARTY LYK THE GORRE DO"

I pity them, they lost their past, messed up their present, and worse in the future..

There ARE exceptions tho :lol:

its not just the parents its the kids they make bad descions in there life.but more must be done to show sikh there true duty.parents should encourage there kids to go to classes at the gudawara,at least its maybe a start.as long as some one starts trying otherwise there will be no change no.gif

WE NEED TO HELP THE KIDS!

sangat ji! i just wanted to say some things about sikh parents these days and how their children might NOt make a big impact on the sikh soiety...and just wont ever learn...its sad really no.gif . and im telling you now: I am not out to get every, single sikh parent out there ...im just saying some things that i believe we all should know..(and prob. already know) SO PLEASE PLEASE dont hate me just because you might think that im talking about all parents.

so here it goes...

child: "Mommy, why do we go to the Gurudwara?"

mommy: "Chup kar ke aavde daddy kul jaa ke baijaa!" ("Be quiet and go sit down with your daddy!")

*child thinks* and sees someone doing Chor Sahib in sewa of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

child: "Daady, what is he doing? What is that thing he's swaying back and forth over the big book?"

daddy: "It's not a book. It's Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. He's doing that in respect of our Guru."

child: "What's a guru?"

daddy: "We have 11 Gurus. They teach us what is right and wrong. They are like our fathers. They protect us no matter where we might be."

*silence*

child: "Oh. Wow!

daddy: "Hun Chup kar ke aavde mummy kul jaa ke baijaa." ("Now be quiet and go sit down with your mummy.")

so the child goes back.

...he forgets the question he asked his dad, cuz his mom then says to go to the Langar.

the family goes to the Langar. later, the child sees pictures of our Gurus and other Gursikhs.

child: "Mommy, why are they cutting that mans fingers off? Was he bad?"

mommy: "I don't know. Ask me when we get home."

child: "But then I will forget."

mommy: "No you won't."

child: "How do you know?"

*mother ignores child*

child: "Pleeeeease mommy."

*mommy sighs*

mommy: "That's Baba Buddha Singh ji. And he wasn't bad."

child: "Then why are doing that to him?"

mommy: "Because he did something that he wasn't supposed to."

child: "What did he do? You said that he wasn't bad."

mommy (while rolling her eyes): "Karey jaa ke puchhee(n). Hun khaalaa." ("Ask me when we get home. Now, eat.")

So then the family goes home.

the child forgets and starts to play video games and all....and isn't reminded by his mom that he had questions, meaning he didn't have answers and the knowledge.

soo....what do you sangat ji think of that? did you think that the little child learnt a lot, or that he got the smallest piece(s) of the puzzle? do you think that he didn't get enough, or that he would've learnt later on?

i've seen this too many times...sometimes even worse. its sad really. and then when children grow up they say "Why? Didn't you learn anything??!!"

another thing:

child: "Why is that man wearing that thing on his head?"

mommy: "Because he has to keep his kesh with respect."

child: "What's kesh?"

mommy: "It's hair that isn't cut."

child: "Ooohhh..ok. But how come I dont have one then? or dad?"

mommy: "Beacuse you don't have kesh."

child: "Then can I start to keep it and not cut it ever again? And can I wear one of those too?"

mommy: "NO! Why? You're ok the way you are."

child: "But I want to do what he's doing! He looks cool."

mommy: "But people who wear those can't go to parties....so you won't be able to go to any parties."

child: "Why cant I go to them?"

mommy: "Because most people who have kesh dont go to parties because they dont drink and stuff..."

child: "Oh. So then I can stay in the Gurudwara while you're at the party, right?"

mommy: "NO! who will take care of you?"

child: "Guru ji will. Daddy told me that Guru ji will take care of us no matter where we are."

mommy: "Ran-day. Pattaa nei kehijeeaa galaa karda!" ("Forget it! I don't know what you're talking about!)

*child left in utter confusion....*

yeah so...this is what i see a lot too...and parents like these  are the ones who suffer in the end

they prob think that its cool not to really pay attention to sikhi and to live a "so-called modern" life. and that includes to forget sikhi. but they seem to forget that sikhism IS the modern life! haha! its the newst religion in the world...(i think)

also...i wanted to mention about the women who come from india to places like Canada. these women sometimes take advantage of having a say in front of their husbands and sometimes take it too far. like for example: my dad knows this one guy who drives a truck and he used to cross the Canada/ US border..and well he got drunk one day and his wife called the police and now he cant go to the US and so he has to find a new job with the reason of "I got drunk and said wrong things to my wife.".

the parents are going to cry and regret their doings later in life...but thats noe the issue...

the issue is with the kids...whos going to teach them the good stuff??

i think there should be really fun educational classes for these kids...

what do you say everyone???

maybe you might think that this is a stupid post, but i think we should ind a way to help these kids. they need it and its not their faults that they dont get the right education. just my opinion...

130687[/snapback]

yeah thats true...but there are always two sides to everything.

like you said, the parents might want the kids to go to the Gurudwara, but then the children wont go...BUT....

(the other side of the coin)

either the parents dont want to go because they dont want their kids to get into sikhi...

OR...

as i experience: (i sometimes go to this class on fridays at the Ontario Khalsa Darbar) and its mostly the moms who bringh their kids..but i see so many times that the children will have their hair kept and dress simple, but then their mothers have like half of their heads covered and they have (more than needed) make-up on...(actually...its not needed at all) and they have the most fashionable suits on and they sometimes even have their hair died....

another thing i forgot to add...can you please post your opinions on what we, as older sikh youth, can do to help these kids who are getting the wrong information, or none at all...please help.

thanks

u know wats really funny.... tht alot of sikh parenst are acting or trying to blend in with teh gorais.... not thts sad!!!!!!! so teh first step... hmmmm..... EDUCATE the parents.. cuz most likely wat parents do and wat kind of teachings tehy give... the children are gonna do teh same....

but yeah its depressing to see things liek this happen... no.gif

NO NO NO!!!!

u know wats really funny....  tht alot of sikh parenst are acting or trying to blend in with teh gorais.... not thts sad!!!!!!! so teh first step... hmmmm..... EDUCATE the parents.. cuz most likely wat parents do and wat  kind of teachings tehy give... the children are gonna do teh same....

but yeah its depressing to see things liek this happen...  no.gif

NO NO NO!!!!

130886[/snapback]

hmm...true...BUT...

what about the parents who give you the diriest looks when you just ASK them to cover their heads??? you think we can actually teach them?? no way...theyre too stubborn and think so highly of themselves...

and sad how some people say "The Amrit-Dharis are just showing off. we have love from the inside, and theyre just show-offs...." someone in dixie Gurudwara said that to my face when i told her not to sit with her feet pointing to Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. no.gif

give advice people!