Captain Rejects Nuclear Power Plant In Punjab

kurtas

Punjab also produces a lot of hydro-electric power which feeds a major part of north india. The only thing is punjab doesn't get a proper share because whole of the electricity is given to cities like chandigarh and delhi.

Whats the use of 'free' power if u get major power cutts which are sometime weeks long???

What do ya think??

""The Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) is presently India's largest-capacity hydropower generator."

131190[/snapback]

Veera there is something called "base load" and "peak load".

Hydroelectric power is a good "peak load' power generator but it is a weak "base load" power producer.

For "base load" one needs good solidly built thermal power plant that can be counted to work 24 x 7 or whenever required during peak hours.

Usually what all countries do is to mix cheaper "peak load" hydroelectric power with the more expensive "thermal power" to lower electricity costs.

You must realize that producing hydroelectric power is very cheap, but unreliable (it cannot be produced continuously for 24 hours). Tunnels that carry water, and generators that generate power are shut down from time-to-time for overhaul and repair. So you need some solid "thermal power" to back you up during periods when hydroelectric power is not being produced due to repair and overhauling (pretty common in hydroelectric power plant).

OTH thermal power (whether nuclear or fossil fuel) have large fuel dumps that give enough fuel to continuously power the plant for weeks together without a break. So these reliable power plants are used for producing "base load" power.

Since India is about to sign a deal with NSG for membership (with US support) almost 20 new nuclear power plants are going to be set up. It was about the location of these that Captain was talking about.

131193[/snapback]

Veer ji I just told u about the proper share of Punjab. GOI doesn't provide punjab with electricity. There are major power cuts in punjab only. Cahndigarh and panchkula get proper power supply. There are major power cuts in mohali also. All ur above explanation doen't say anything abt it.

Whats the use of 'free' power if u get major power cutts which are sometime weeks long???

Boss that is due to slackness of PSEB. Also since power is free in rural areas, the rural transformers will be fed with power only on "off peak" hours.

131193[/snapback]

Veer ji can u prove this statement that rural areas get 'free' power? My parents pay electricity bill with units costly than chandigarh(power is cheap i chandigarh). Power is free only for farmers having small amount of lands.Common man PAY their bills in punjab. Please straighten out ur facts. I lived in punjab for major part of my life. I know how hard is it to spend time in summer with NO electricity.

I hope I made my point clear.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa,

Waheguru ji ki fateh.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a wrong information

Hydro-electric is the fastest to respond to increasing power demands, reaching full power in about two to three minutes. These plants can provide both base load and peak load demands for power, at a relatively low cost but are limited by the amount of water available.

Harmeet Singh, you have contradicted yourself in your second sentence only. Water in the reservoir is never enough to work the turbines for 24x7. This is true of any hydro-electric reservoir. During peak hours all the turbines can work together because of high demand provided they are in proper maintenance. then after continuous working the turbines will work fine but the tunnels get clogged due to mud and slime and have to be cleaned up. So automatically the turbines are also shut down.

If your demand is 2400 MW and production of Hydro electric dam is also 2400 MW then still the power providers will struggle to give you 'Uninterrupted Power'. Scandinavia has a very sophisticated grid and is interconnected between the scandinavian countries and they have a website (I forgot the name) which is updated with info on the status of various power plants. If you have a look there you can see how many times even the most well maintained Hydro-electric plant has to be shut down, either due to low water level, or due to cleaning of tunnels, or due to maintenance of turbines etc.

There are major power cuts in punjab only..... There are major power cuts in mohali also. All ur above explanation doen't say anything abt it.

The answer is simple veerje. There simply isn't enough power to supply all @ same time. The Iran-Pakistan-India pipeline would have benefitted Punjab and Delhi but then the Americans threw a spanner in the works and said do not go for that we will supply you with Nuclear power instead. We need fuel (yellowcake/Raw Uranium) for running Nuclear power plants (we are abundant in thorium and not in Uranium) so after NSG admits India as member we will get access to Uranium from countries such as Niger and Australia and Nuclear PP's can probably shorten the Demand-supply gap.

Harmeet Singh, you have contradicted yourself in your second sentence only. Water in the reservoir is never enough to work the turbines for 24x7. This is true of any hydro-electric reservoir.

That was a general statement. I said depending upon the reservoir, read carefully. Bhakhra runs 24/7 along with all other BBMB dams.

There has been only one time when Bhakra was cut during peak off hours. The thing is even in driest months of winter Bhakhra is made to throttle turbines on overload to feed power hungry delhi and haryana.

During peak hours all the turbines can work together because of high demand provided they are in proper maintenance. then after continuous working the turbines will work fine but the tunnels get clogged due to mud and slime and have to be cleaned up. So automatically the turbines are also shut down.

All turbines are provided by different penstocks/tunnels. Incase of Bhkhra there are two plants. So they keep rotating one tunnel after the other.

The riparian region has the first right of electricity not non riparian region of Delhi or Harayana. If so they must pay to Punjab.

DANG!

Better keep that generator at home then....stinking electricity goes out all the time.  Would have been nice to have 24-7 electricity man.  In the summer the mosquitoes kill ya, and no i don't live in some backward pind, the lights go off in the developed towns and cities as well.

Hydroelectric power, with what?!  with the dried up rivers of PUnjab?  You need water for hydroelectric power, i hope they put H2O in their power calculations.  Can't be sure with these punjab politicians these days.

security risk?  How long is Punjab going to be a security risk, for eternity?

131163[/snapback]

Should have invested in a 2 or 4 battery inverter then.

Punjab also produces a lot of hydro-electric power which feeds a major part of north india. The only thing is punjab doesn't get a proper share because whole of the electricity is given to cities like chandigarh and delhi.

What do ya think??

""The Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) is presently India's largest-capacity hydropower generator."

131190[/snapback]

Veera there is something called "base load" and "peak load".

Hydroelectric power is a good "peak load' power generator but it is a weak "base load" power producer.

For "base load" one needs good solidly built thermal power plant that can be counted to work 24 x 7 or whenever required during peak hours.

Usually what all countries do is to mix cheaper "peak load" hydroelectric power with the more expensive "thermal power" to lower electricity costs.

You must realize that producing hydroelectric power is very cheap, but unreliable (it cannot be produced continuously for 24 hours). Tunnels that carry water, and generators that generate power are shut down from time-to-time for overhaul and repair. So you need some solid "thermal power" to back you up during periods when hydroelectric power is not being produced due to repair and overhauling (pretty common in hydroelectric power plant).

OTH thermal power (whether nuclear or fossil fuel) have large fuel dumps that give enough fuel to continuously power the plant for weeks together without a break. So these reliable power plants are used for producing "base load" power.

Since India is about to sign a deal with NSG for membership (with US support) almost 20 new nuclear power plants are going to be set up. It was about the location of these that Captain was talking about.

131193[/snapback]

Veer ji I just told u about the proper share of Punjab. GOI doesn't provide punjab with electricity. There are major power cuts in punjab only. Cahndigarh and panchkula get proper power supply. There are major power cuts in mohali also. All ur above explanation doen't say anything abt it.

Boss that is due to slackness of PSEB. Also since power is free in rural areas, the rural transformers will be fed with power only on "off peak" hours.

131193[/snapback]

Veer ji can u prove this statement that rural areas get 'free' power? My parents pay electricity bill with units costly than chandigarh(power is cheap i chandigarh). Power is free only for farmers having small amount of lands.Common man PAY their bills in punjab. Please straighten out ur facts. I lived in punjab for major part of my life. I know how hard is it to spend time in summer with NO electricity.

I hope I made my point clear.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa,

Waheguru ji ki fateh.

131207[/snapback]

Read the papers. There is plenty about free electric for farmers. The free electric scheme was started by Badal as a vote winner. Captain scrapped it as PSEB was in a financial mess. But with state elections looming he has said free electric for farmers will be back.

The rivers now originate in Himachal so tough luck to Punjab. We have similar problems with electric in Haryana but thats life.

In the summer the mosquitoes kill ya, and no i don't live in some backward pind, the lights go off in the developed towns and cities as well.

131163[/snapback]

hahahahaha LOL.gif ...thats true...man they juz zoom by ur ears making u think that the pakistani airforce attacked... LOL.gif

131208[/snapback]

LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif :T:

Thank YOU Capt !

also, where Mann supported the Nuclear program in punjab? Whats the source ?

131871[/snapback]

He raises the point about nuclear power every now and then. He fails to see what happened at Chernobyl. Does he think that people who cannot stop shortages of onions can be entrusted with a nuclear power station ? It is not the RS10,000 diesel generator set which can be disposed when it fails. Perhaps Mann could visit a few families who live close to Sellafield in the UK and hear from them how they have suffered before he comes out with his half backed theories.

I remember when Mann was an MP he allocated Rs 1 lakh out of his constituency development fund for setting up a library in the name of Mohammed Ali Jinnah. I guess he could not remember the names of any Sikh shaheed for the naming of such a library.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030303/punjab1.htm

Mann seeks N-power plant for Punjab

Tribune News Service

Sangrur, March 2

Mr Simranjit Singh Mann, MP from Sangrur and President of the Akali Dal (Amritsar), today asked the Union Government to set up a nuclear power plant in Punjab and build railway overbridges on the state and national highways throughout the state.

Talking to mediapersons here, Mr Mann said the setting up of a nuclear power plant in the state was the need of the hour as Punjab had neither coal resources nor excess water to generate electricity to meet the increasing demand of power.

Criticising the Union Railway Budget, Mr Mann said the Central Government had not provided anything in the Budget for Punjab though it had made arrangements to invest huge amounts on railway network in other states of the country. Mr Mann said the Union Government should construct railway overbridges in the state as early as possible.

Mr Mann also asked the Union Government to allot funds to Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, to do extensive research work for the improvement in the varieties of rice and wheat as substandard quality wheat and paddy were being produced in the state. He also demanded compensation immediately for the farmers of border districts, Ferozepore, Gurdaspur and Amritsar, whose crops had been damaged due to laying of mines by military in their fields during the recent past.

Mr Mann also said he had never kept militancy approach in his mind and he was not in favour of disturbance in the state. But he reiterated his stand that he wanted change in a peaceful manner for the supermacy of the Sikhs. He said the framing of charges under Tada against him had hurt his feelings. Regarding unity with the SAD, led by Mr Parkash Singh Badal, Mr Mann said this was not possible till the SAD reversed the resolution of its Moga convention and adopt the Akali agenda. He said he and two SAD MPs in the Lok Sabha would now jointly raise their voice in favour of Punjab’s demands, including issue of Bathinda refinery and river waters’ issue.

Mr Mann said his party had been contesting municipal elections in Sangrur district. He promised that the Akali Dal (Amritsar) would provide corruption-free regime in the councils through its councillors.