Questions People Ask You?

UntitledSingh

VJKK

VJKF

Firstly I got to say this forum is gggrrrrrrr8 :TH: I live in CA, and so many people dont know much about Sikhs, people are always coming up to me and asking me questions.

"Why do you wear that thing on your head?"

"Because I'm a Sikh, and Sikhs do not cut their hair at all, they also dont get piercings or tatoos, we believe that the body is beautiful as is. They believe that the body is the temple of God. This thing I am wearing on my head is a Sikh turban, it pretty much has 2 purposes, the practical one is to take care of a Sikh unshorn hair, and also for Identity purposes. It is like a crown for the Sikhs, just a a King wears a Gold structure on his head, Sikhs wear one of these :e: :nihungsmile: ."

"Oh thats cool"

"So why dont you cut your nails then?"

"Well because nails are completly different from hair, nails never stop growing, hair grows to a certain length and stops. Also if I didn't cut my nails they would break off anyway"

"OMG Why are you wearing a sword/dagger, or Why are you wearing that thing?"

"This is not a sword/dagger, this is a KIRPAN, it is a ceremonial religious item. Kirpan comes from the word 'KIRPA' and 'AAN'. Kirpa means an act of kindness, a favour; and 'aan' means honour, respect, self-respect. If it was a dagger/sword I could just go up to anybody an kill him for no reason, but I am a Sikh and this is my Kirpan, I can only use it to defend the others and my self."

"Oh thats interesting, but why dont you just carry around a gun if you want to protect other?"

"Well because Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth and last Sikh prophet, did not give us a gun he give us a Kirpan. Its not all about the most advanced seld-defensive instrument, like I said it has ceremonial value. Ok, you know how a King gives Knightship to a Knight? He touches the "ceremonial sword" against the knights shoulders. Here Guru Gobind Singh give us the Kirpan and Knighted us to the Khalsa or the Sikh religion."

Hope I helped and didn't bore you, so what are some questions people asked you but your religion, and how did you reply?

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh

What if you get drunk and use your "kirpan" in the wrong way?

wel.. we dont drink! :lol: . Also, it then becomes a weapon, a dagger, NOt kirpan. Same with compass, sharp and dangerous, yet it is safe when used properly.

You will look different if you cut ur beard off

U will look different if your cut ur face off

Why are you wearing that? (kirpan)

Sikhi is based on the aspect of saint and soldier. The kirpan represents the soldier side. Saint before Soldier, so you're wise enough to know when it ist he right time to use it..

KOOL saint soldier.. sounds sexy!!

:umm: :umm: @

Why do Sikhs cut hair

Just like some Christians dont follw their faith,

For a Muslim I said: Just liek a Muslim who doesnt fast (bechara was munching on hsi lunch during the fasting month.. lol)

anymore??

What if you get drunk and use your "kirpan" in the wrong way?

wel.. we dont drink! :lol: . Also, it then becomes a weapon, a dagger, NOt kirpan. Same with compass, sharp and dangerous, yet it is safe when used properly.

You will look different if you cut ur beard off

U will look different if your cut ur face off

Why are you wearing that? (kirpan)

Sikhi is based on the aspect of saint and soldier. The kirpan represents the soldier side. Saint before Soldier, so you're wise enough to know when it ist he right time to use it..

KOOL saint soldier.. sounds sexy!!

:umm: :umm: @

Why do Sikhs cut hair

Just like some Christians dont follw their faith,

For a Muslim I said: Just liek a Muslim who doesnt fast (bechara was munching on hsi lunch during the fasting month.. lol)

a-hahaha good ones....  LOL.gif

anymore??

134589[/snapback]

oh yeah....this one girl at my skool was like:

did u know that u have a unibrow?and i m like.......o really? i didnt notice :umm:

do u want me to pluck it for u?

im like... grin.gif ..lemme think........NO!!! :@

why? u would look so much prettier

really? i think you would look prettier without all that clown paint on ur face :lol:

shez like :@ @

and i m like :umm:

and did i mention that she had that plucker thing with her too...like nebody's bringing that anywhere near me ever LOL.gif

MANN......SUM PEOPLE ARE JUST wacko.gif

To Navdeep Kaur,

Although im not fully aware of the entire convo, this is the impression that i got......

Im sure that girl that you conversed with meant no harm to you or your faith (she just didn't know how things are).

She meant well for you and you badgered her ways and insulted them (thats ignorance...even if she showed it towards you, you should not have reciprocated). You did not handle that in a SIKHLY fashion.

you can look like a sikh your entire life but until you learn to get rid of some type of hate you have built inside you (that of most probably intolerance), practicing sikhi is quite useless and degrading to image of other sikhs.

well anyways, I apologize if my constructive criticsm came off as too strong, dont take any of it to heart.

Toodles.

LOL.gif

i always get asked:

how long is ur hair?

almost down to my knees

what color is ur hair?

umm....brunette.....

u should wear ur hair down sumtimes...i wanna see how u look

u shud wear a turban sumday too......i wanna see how YOU would look

questioner:  ohmy.gif

me:  :umm:

134669[/snapback]

lol, I get those questions alot too :lol: gets irritating after a while, but you know. :umm:

oh yeah....this one girl at my skool was like:

did u know that u have a unibrow?and i m like.......o really?  i didnt notice :umm:

do u want me to pluck it for u?

im like... grin.gif ..lemme think........NO!!! :@

why?  u would look so much prettier

really?  i think you would look prettier without all that clown paint on ur face  :lol:

shez like  :@ @

and i m like  :umm:

and did i mention that she had that plucker thing with her too...like nebody's bringing that anywhere near me ever  LOL.gif

MANN......SUM PEOPLE ARE JUST  wacko.gif

134670[/snapback]

Well said :TH: