Sikh Leader Comments On Leamington Gurdwara

kuljeet

I personally had a discussion today with Baba Ranjit Singh Ji about the Leamington issue.

They said that there should be no alcohol or meat in any part of any Sikh institution. They clarified that includes social clubs and halls which are connected to the Gurdwara and/or have been built with Sangat money.

They said that these people are a minority and they need to be flushed out.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They actually said it doesnt matter if room is across the road or 3 streets away, if there is any connection to the Gurdwara then it is a massive sin to have sharaab and meat. no.gif

134607[/snapback]

i agree with that..

i went to a wedding a few weeks back and they had a community hall a few roads away. it woz called Ramgharia sikh community hall and they had meat and sharaab, even a little bar in the corner! i woz shocked no.gif :lol: @

and wot woz really stupid is that there woz a sign sayin "no smoking" rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

they just want the damn money! :umm: no.gif

Dear Sikh Brothers and Sisters,

Please write, fax, email or phone James Plaskitt (the Leamington Spa and Warwickshire MP who was present at the Sharaab Party in the Gurdwara) - and ask him to condemn the use of the Gurdwara premises for the purposes of drinking alcohol and eating meat.

If you wish, you could use the draft letter below:

"Dear Mr. Plaskitt,

I am writing to express my deep concern at recent media reports which indicated that you may have been present at Leamington Spa Gurdwara on Saturday 12 November at a 'party' during which alcohol and meat were served. As you will be aware, the consumption of alcohol and meat is completely prohibited in the Sikh faith and to bring such substances onto the premises of a Gurdwara (within which Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji dwells) is a grave insult.

In the circumstances, I hope you will publicly condemn the activities that took place at the Gurdwara and recognise the deep offence it has caused to the Sikh community worldwide.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

[Name] Singh/Kaur"

Contact James Plaskitt Labour MP:

Constituency Office:

First Floor

2A Leam Terrace

Leamington Spa

CV31 1BB

Tel: 01926 831 151 / 0207 219 6207

Fax: 01926 338 838

E-mail: mp@jamesplaskitt.com

ALSO

President: Saghera Sahota

Gurdwara Sahib Leamington & Warwick

17A/B Queensway Estate

Queensway

Leamington Spa

CV31 3LZ

01926 424 297

Ask them to apologise to the sangat and then resign.

My dad has told me there was a sign up saying "Any persons under the influence of Alcohol or tobacco are not permitted to enter this room" outside the room where the drinking was taking place.

Any idea where my dad can go to take amrit again?

134743[/snapback]

theres an amritsanchar in leicester on the weekend, Saturday 26th at Guru Tegh Bahadur Gurdwara, East Park Road.

Im not sure on the time.. Maybe a local can post the details??

If he has learned his errors then maharaj will do kirpa on him if he goes for pesh and admits to Guru Godind Singh Ji his mistakes!

i do Ardaas for him and all the other people on the day that they will wake up and see what they did was wrong and may Maharaj Bless them With SIKHI! pray.gif

http://www.panthic.org/news/124/ARTICLE/2015/2005-11-20.html

Sangat Victorious, Committee Looses Sharaab Rights

Sunday 20th November, 2005

Panthic Weekly News Bureau

Leamington Spa, Warwickshire - Today the Management Committee of Leamington & Warwick Gurdwara Sahib has been forced to pass a resolution by the Sangat, declaring the Gurdwara a meat and sharaab free zone. The Gurdwara, was the scene of violence last week as they hosted a party where meat and sharaab were served openly to “celebrate” Diwali and Gurpurb of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. The incident highlights what Guru Sahib tells us:

ਸਰਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦੁਇ ਛਪਿ ਖਲੋਏ ਕੂੜੁ ਫਿਰੈ ਪਰਧਾਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ ॥

Sharam Dharam due chhap khaloe, kooR phirai parDhaan ve laalo.

“O Lalo! Sharam (shame and modesty) and Dharam (righteousness and religion) both have vanished, and falsehood struts around like a leader.”

(Ang 722, SGGS)

On Friday the Gurdwara was visited by representatives from Gurdwaras in Coventry including Ramgarhia Gurdwara Coventry and Guru Nanak Parkash Coventry. This was followed by a visit from Gurdwaras from around the UK and Sangat from around the country. Gurdwaras visiting included High Street Smethwick, West Bromwich, and Willenhall to mention a few.

Today at the special General Meeting the Committee had planned to change the name of the room in the Gurdwara, to ‘community centre’, allowing the consumption of alcohol, meat and intoxicants. In a bizarre twist the plan fell on top of them as the Sangat didn’t let it pass. In fact the actual opposite passed. Gurbani says:

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਅਪਨੇ ਕਾ ਭਇਆ ਬਿਸਾਸੁ ॥ ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਸਭੁ ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਰਾਸਿ ॥

ਨਾਨਕ ਕਉ ਉਪਜੀ ਪਰਤੀਤਿ ॥ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਹਾਰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਸਦ ਜੀਤਿ ॥4॥16॥18॥

Prabh apune kaa bheiaa bisaas. Jeeo pindd sabh tis kee raas.

Naanak ko upjee parteet. Manmukh haar, Gurmukh jeet. ||4||16||18||

“I place my faith in my Waheguru. My soul and body all belong to Him. This is the faith, which inspires Nanak: the self-willed Manmukhs will fail, while the Gurmukhs will always win. ||4||16||18||”

(Ang 867, SGGS)

No sharaab, intoxicants or meat will now be allowed to be consumed, served or promoted within the Gurdwara complex and also within two years the Gurdwara Committee will enforce a full ban on consumption of intoxicants and meat on all Gurdwara property, in particular the Tachbrook Centre hall.

The Gurdwara Committee have decided to form another Committee, which will build its own Community Centre separate and independent from the Gurdwara Sahib, and will not use any of the Gurdwara's funds.

This has been a great success for the Sikh Sangat of the UK who came together regardless of jathebandi (organisations), young and old together on one platform in ekta against anti-Gurmat practises. It is a happy day in the UK and a great victory for the Khalsa Panth, and inspiring to see how the Sangat came together as one.

The Editors can be reached at editors@panthic.org

http://www.panthic.org/news/124/ARTICLE/2015/2005-11-20.html

Sangat Victorious, Committee Looses Sharaab Rights

Sunday 20th November, 2005

Panthic Weekly News Bureau

Leamington Spa, Warwickshire - Today the Management Committee of Leamington & Warwick Gurdwara Sahib has been forced to pass a resolution by the Sangat, declaring the Gurdwara a meat and sharaab free zone. The Gurdwara, was the scene of violence last week as they hosted a party where meat and sharaab were served openly to “celebrate” Diwali and Gurpurb of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. The incident highlights what Guru Sahib tells us:

ਸਰਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦੁਇ ਛਪਿ ਖਲੋਏ ਕੂੜੁ ਫਿਰੈ ਪਰਧਾਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ ॥

Sharam Dharam due chhap khaloe, kooR  phirai parDhaan ve laalo.

“O Lalo! Sharam (shame and modesty) and Dharam (righteousness and religion) both have vanished, and falsehood struts around like a leader.”

(Ang  722, SGGS)

On Friday the Gurdwara was visited by representatives from Gurdwaras in Coventry including Ramgarhia Gurdwara Coventry and Guru Nanak Parkash Coventry. This was followed by a visit from Gurdwaras from around the UK and Sangat from around the country. Gurdwaras visiting included High Street Smethwick, West Bromwich, and Willenhall to mention a few. 

Today at the special General Meeting the Committee had planned to change the name of the room in the Gurdwara, to ‘community centre’, allowing the consumption of alcohol, meat and intoxicants. In a bizarre twist the plan fell on top of them as the Sangat didn’t let it pass. In fact the actual opposite passed. Gurbani says:

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਅਪਨੇ ਕਾ ਭਇਆ ਬਿਸਾਸੁ ॥ ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਸਭੁ ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਰਾਸਿ ॥

ਨਾਨਕ ਕਉ ਉਪਜੀ ਪਰਤੀਤਿ ॥ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਹਾਰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਸਦ ਜੀਤਿ ॥4॥16॥18॥

Prabh apune kaa bheiaa bisaas. Jeeo pindd sabh tis kee raas.

Naanak ko upjee parteet. Manmukh haar, Gurmukh jeet. ||4||16||18||

“I place my faith in my Waheguru. My soul and body all belong to Him. This is the faith, which inspires Nanak: the self-willed Manmukhs will fail, while the Gurmukhs will always win. ||4||16||18||”

(Ang 867, SGGS)

No sharaab, intoxicants or meat will now be allowed to be consumed, served or promoted within the Gurdwara complex and also within two years the Gurdwara Committee will enforce a full ban on consumption of intoxicants and meat on all Gurdwara property, in particular the Tachbrook Centre hall.

The Gurdwara Committee have decided to form another Committee, which will build its own Community Centre separate and independent from the Gurdwara Sahib, and will not use any of the Gurdwara's funds.

This has been a great success for the Sikh Sangat of the UK who came together regardless of jathebandi (organisations), young and old together on one platform in ekta against anti-Gurmat practises. It is a happy day in the UK and a great victory for the Khalsa Panth, and inspiring to see how the Sangat came together as one.

The Editors can be reached at editors@panthic.org

134915[/snapback]

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ki Fateh!

Good news. It's a shame it will still take 2 years for the alcohol & meat to stop at Tachbrook. But it's a start!