What makes one a "SIKH"??

Gupt_Singh

What makes you a Sikh??

Is your appearence what makes one a Sikh??

Is your Heart what makes you a Sikh??

I saw this quote posted on a forum while back and i saved it.

The word sikh is a beautiful word, coined from the Sanskrit word for student. He who is ready to learn is a Sikh. He who is ready to listen to the teachings is a Sikh. But he who is still full of ego and not prepared to listen is not a Sikh. To put on the turban and adopt all the outward signs of a Sikh does not make you a Sikh, because to become a Sikh is an emotional happening.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look, i dont know how many times ive quoted this, maybe its either cuz u dont accept varan (which is said to be teh KEY to the GURU GRANTH by the gurus) as a valid source or maybe you just dont want to accept it......

bhai gurdas, varan, // 3, pauri 11

"one is only a sikh of the guru once he has been blessed with deekhya."

deekhya is imparting the gurmantar which is one of the key aspects of baptism. "blessed with deekhya" can be taken to mean amrit (charan de paul or khanda de paul) so its obvious a sikh is an amritdhari only.

the meaning of sikh is student.....but how can you be accepted into the school to be taught by the teacher if you havent even been formally entered into the school? you can hang about outside the school and even dress in uniform....and say to everyone that u are a pupil there............but u will never be a STUDENT as such......u can only be a SIKH of the GURU once you have pledged your ETERNAL alleignace the guru.......

it doesnt take an einstein to work that out. neither does it take any dodgy redefinitions of what a sikh is.

sorry if ive peed anyone off, but i dont know how many times people ask that question, and i always quote that line, bt no1 takes it on board!

What makes one a SIKH?

i don't know.. even if i do know, i won't go out and tell others that who are sikh or what are the requirement for being a sikh.. Im not perfect in anyway.. first i need to define the correct and real defination of sikhi to my soul then maybe i can explain who are Sikh !

I hate when one person say to other.. "Hey, you are mona, YOU are not sikh" ..

WE (YOU & ME) have no right to tell others who are sikhs and who are not.. Don't judge.. Rules (rehit) are set and it's rite in front of everyone, go and read it.. If he choose to disagree, then good luck, but don't go on and say "External" roop is not required etc.. If agree then Welcome to Sikhi ! Either way I will still have the same respect to that person no matter what..

Request to singhs and kaurs.. PLZ stop the judging part.. It's better for our community ! If anyone(Sikh) ask who are sikh, Just give him/her link of Universal rehit meryada and let it be on him/her to decide..

Bhull chaak Kaeyy maaf Karna

no, we do not need to judge who is sikh and who isnt. bhai gurdas has already told us.

i think a sehajdhari is someone who follows the entire rehat but hasnt taken amrit yet.

do u know if there is a Description on the net somewhere of a Sehajdhari sikh as there is of an Amritdhari Sikh??

no those kind of things dont really worry me. all i know is, i have a quote of something that is basically sortov gurbani (bhai gurdas was asked if he wanted to contribute to SGGS and much of his bani was divinely inspired)........whether or not you want to follow that or your own beliefs is up 2 u......

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Ill I know is that even in gurbani it says countless times that only who follows the satgurus hukams is the real sikh. And Bhia gurdas je ( the one in guru gobind singh jes times) wrote in his vaars that one cannot be called a sikh without taking amrit. Bhia desa singh je also wrote the main thing one must do to become a sikh is to take khanda ke pahul. If these people were all writing lies , then I dont think guru maharaj would just have sat there. He would have probably given them punishment or somin. But they didnt write anything wrong. And it should also be noted that there is a quote in I think in dasam granth that says one must take amrit to be a sikh, but im not to sure about that. And guru gobind singh je also begged the panj pyaras for amrit, what was the reason for someone merged with god to take amrit? Thats how much pyare guru sahib valued amrit. And it also says in by gurdas jes vaars va ha va gur gobind singh, ape gur chalae! How did guru sahib become a chalae? By taking amrit! Another good source of why we should take amrit and why we cant be sikh without it is sant jarnail singh je khalsa bhindranwales speeaches. There very good. And guru sahib we should not value relations with monas, so if monas were sikhs, then why would guru sahib say dont value relations with them? And to the people who say you need only inner sikhi, fine. If you had inner sikhi, you would remember the guru next time you cut your hair or eat meat, etc. But you dont. Guru sahib give us an outer form also so we will never be able to hide ourselves. If a hindu puts on a kara, does it make him a sikh. NO. Hindus and musalmans w

ere dastars too, are they sikh. NO. Before khanda ke pahul, the first nine gurus used to give charan ke pahul to intiate people into the sikh faith. Then dasven patshah ended that and said to be my sikh now you must take khanda ke paul. If you truly love your guru and wish to be a sikh, you must keep sikhi in inner and outer forms. Look at the gora sikhs. What did they do to become sikh. They took amrit. And I admire them for that, for the people born into sikh families and dont keep sikhi dont know what they are missing. And we are not judging, we are just following the writings of our gurus and gursikhs and other people from guru sahibs time. SIKHI IS NOT A RIGHT, IT IS A PRIVELAGE WHICH MUST BE EARNED. You earn by takin amrit and living in pure reight maryada. Forgive this mahamoorakh if I have said something by accident in the above statement. All that is good in the above statement I owe to my satguru maharaj.

Are we gonna let rss and India reach there goal? We are turning away from amrit. Remeber, when we turn away from our guru, he will take all his power and will not help us. Let us drink amrit and unite under the kesri nishan sahib of the khalsa, and let the whole world reconize the unique identity of the khalsa!

BHULL CHUKK MAFF

WAHEGURU JE KA KHALSA, WAHEGURU JE KE FATEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!