What makes one a "SIKH"??

Gupt_Singh

Khalistani's post pretty much says everything that needs to be said. The Guru's and the sikhs of that time wouldn't have put emphasis on rehit and pahul (amrit) if they didn't take it as absolutely neccessary. Without the discipline that comes by keeping outer rehit, it will be impossible to make your inner self reach the heights that a gursikh aims for.

The 19th pauri of Anand Saahib starts with 'Jeehu Malay baruh nirmal..' and explains how people like this waste their lives away. We all pretty much know this, that having the outer appearance won't be worth much if it's just a show. The next pauri goes on to tell what type of person is accepted - 'Jeehu nirmal baruh nirmal'. However, you won't find any mention of 'jeehu nirmal, baruh malay'. In fact, I don't think you'll find something like that anywhere in gurbani. It isn't even recognised as a possible state of being in sikhee.

I don't think anyone should badmouth monay or others who haven't gotten on the path yet. Everyone goes at their own pace and is at their own level. Today's monay are tomorrow's singhs. But, I think most monay also realise that to be gursikhs, keeping rehit is crucial. They don't want to try and try changing the standards simply because they aren't or don't want to be at that level yet. At least, most monay that I know are like this. Only a few people, including monay, kesadharee and amritdharee, seem to vent against rehit. I bet most monay on this board would agree that keeping kes and shukking amrit are absolutely neccessary for a sikh.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've known amritdhari sikhs who, though baptised, were judgmental and hypocritical. they'd do one thing but not another. they'd justify their kid's actions, but would lambast another's children for the same actions. to call them sikhs, simply because they are baptised, and not others, who have good hearts, follow sikhism to the best of their ability w/o being baptised, is wrong.

i don't know what makes a sikh a sikh, but i know that baptism ALONE does not.

Desimaim!

I really don't know where to start from. The way I look at it you are not here to learn anything but to just argue with everything and try to prove ur points with your limited knowledge of facts about Sikhi!

You don't even consider Guru Gobind Singh Jee higher than Ghaandhi!... sad..

about being a sikh.. The first thing Guru Gobind Singh Jee said to be a sikh you have take amrit otherwise You are just a fake sikh. "Dharay Kes Pahul Bina Bhekhee Morakh Sikh" and "Prathim Rehit Yeh Jaan Khanday Kee Pahul Chakay".

so you are just gona take example of the bad sikhs you have met so far and justify the whole amritdhari sikh panth as one and all because you saw these bad things in some amritdhari sikhs? How Narrow minded is that..?

Bapitism alone doesn't make sikh a sikh but still makes the person member of the khalsa panth. you have to do that otherwise there's no other way of g

etting admission in the khalsa panth. you can argue all u want.. its not gona get u anywhere.. I hope its not too late for you by the time u decide to take amrit and give ur head to guru sahib.