Abortion/unprotected Sex

Does anyone know what view or positions is taken by Sikhi for the use of emergency hormonal contraception (EHC)? An example is a situation where a couple, during intercourse, realise their method of contraception (such as a condom) has failed...

You can purchase EHC, as a method to prevent implantation and pregnancy at that stage (i.e. the instant the sperm fertilises the egg).

In this situation, is it OK to use such methods.

If its banned in sikhism, what of those of us in the medical field who are involved in the supply of such items to women? We can object to the supply of these under a religious clause, but there are those who would argue that it is our DUTY to carry out such tasks as a medic, just as it is the duty of a soldier to protect (and kill if neccessary) their country.

And lastly, what of those women who are saldy the victim of rape? Would the use of EHC in this situation be a valid one within Sikhi?

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think people are too embaressed to answer this question!

Il give you the answer i think, Sikhi does not permit abortion as children are a gift from God but abortion is only allowed in the extremest of extreme cases (ie: either mother or child will die etc.)

146418[/snapback]

I disagree to even this extent.

How do we know this baby/mother is not meant to die at that point? They may have paid of their Lekha and now are ready to pass over in Akaal Purakhs game.

If we truly live by the Hukham, then we dont play god, we let him carry on as he pleases and accept what happened.

Wasnt it Sant Gurbachan Singh jee? who was injured severly in a car accident? and when in hospital was told they need to cut his kesh to operate. He clearly stated, i rather die then have my kesh cut so i can live.

Maharaj plans what happens, he plans who lives, who dies, everything to when we go to the toilet, therefore who are we to interfere?

THe answer lies in Bani, read and understand and you will be given the answer in your ardaas.

Guest lowest of the low singhni
Yup I agree..

Sex is ment to be a way to show your love as well as procreation. If u jsut use sex for its pleasure, its kaam, lust :)

Guru Ji warns us form lust. If we try to combat lust, dont haf sex for fun, then the quesotin of contraception cant even pop up!!!

..simple

146431[/snapback]

true. it's about self-control and love for Maharaj. the principle is simple, but implementing it is harder. we should implement it anyway. ardas helps.

stay away from this stuff ...

not so sure about the rape part though. we don't know the weird and wonderful ways of Maharaj's hukam.

~l~

Just a comment about those who say avoid lust...

Are you saying avoid lust with ones partner or lust from others apartf from your parnter?

If you are saying avoid lust with your partner...isnt that contradictory...?

Obviously being totally sex mad with your partner isnt good...but we are allowed to have a "sex" life with our partners...thats the basis if marrage...we are allowed it within the boundaries of a family life.

Arent we told NOT to become ascetic?

My question therefore is, if its within the bounds of a married relationship...if you and your partner use contraception...within that reltionship...whats the issue there?

If you are using contraception outside of your married life..thats bad.

Secondly, the idea of the morning after pill is that you use it when you have had an accident...i.e. in the case of a split condom.

In that case, would it be correct for me to supply this to my patients or not?

From a personal viewpoint I have no issues with this...but if its found to be against SIkhi then it IS an issue for me.

Now, the idea of foeticide is bad, and we all know we are not allowed to undertake abortions.

But what about the morning after pill...it works, in theory, the second the sperm fertilises the egg...some call that the moment of implantation and "pregnancy"..in that case and if we belive abortions are not allowed...then it comes back to the rape issue.....like most rules in various religions, the rules are blanket rules and apply to everything...so in that case, it would also not be allowed.

I guess there is no right or wrong answer....if you have an answer, PLEASE back up your views with quotes from BabaJi rather then your own viewpoints.

But like I said, I guess this sort of situation wasnt planned for hundreds of years ago so it open to interpretation from us.

In reply to K_51NGH, what you are saying is to avoid sex for pleasure in a married relationship and only "do" it when you have kids.

Are you saying that we should only have sex with our partners for, anywhere between 1-10 times during our married life (say 50-60 years)?!?!?!

With all due espect, I seriously DOUBT many of us would be able to deal with that.

As I said, I'd agree with the issue of TOO much sex.

But then it is clearly stated we MUST not live a life of an ascetic.

By having NO SEX in a reltionship, are we not in part leading that sort of life?

So, if we assume sexal relationships within marrage between partners is OK...then surely we should no jsut assume an attitude of..."ok, if it happens (women gets pregnant) then its Gods will"...its akin to sayin.." OK if I walk in the middle of the road along oncoming traffic its Gods will that I die or not".

My own personal view is that within ones married life, sex is OK with your partner ALONE. An excess of anything is bad, espicially sex...so sex as and when neccessary.

But it all about taking responsibility, so if you use contraception what is the problem?

Just my own views. I'm sure you'll all disagree though...but its VERY good and certainly positive to see responses like K_51NGHs...its a very noble thing to say and indeed to do...I just wonder how many of us can actually stick to such a goal...i DOUBT many of us at all..

I think it should all come down to personal choice.

Especially in the case of rape, one rule will not cover all instances. If the woman feels severely violated and is determined to terminate the pregnancy, then it is her choice--she will have to live with the consequenses either way. I strongly do not believe that she should be denied the right to make that decision, especially by men (sorry if I offend).

Now as for God's Will... if we are to take the stance that we can't interfere in a responsible adult couple's "accident" because it is God's Will that that has happened, then technically, how can we treat even a rash, if it is God's Will that we have a rash, or it is God's Will that we have cancer, or God's Will that our four month old child should catch measles and die?

Seeya.

Manchester Sikhi.. you miss the point.. All-info explains a lot in his/hers post..

Basically you can have sex in marriage nobody is saying you can't, and nobody can say you can only have it X amount of times.. You just can't have sex outside marriage..

You cant use contraception, in marriage or outside marriage..

It is left up to your judgement how often to have sex, and some ppl only have sex when trying to have a baby, some rehit maryada's state that.. But truthfully majority of ppl have sex in marriage when trying for a baby and to show affection..

But you must use your head and not have sex too much and get sex mad and too lustful as it will only enhance Kaam, 1 of the 5 evils which we are trying to surpress and get rid of.. But if you do find yourself always thinking of sex and having sex often.. you should honestly be doing more paat, and simran..

Pul chuck maaf

Gurfateh.

p.s.

And the abortion thing.. you cant have abortion and once again you can't use contraception.. Everything is in the will of god.. if a baby was meant to be born, then it should, if the woman carrying the baby was not meant to make it, then thats gods will.. But you can't tell 100% that if you have an abortion on the grounds that the woman may die.. that the woman will die.. she may not.. again the will of god.. God created us and everything..