Help!

Trust1

Waheguru Ji...

my family has been invited to go to someones lohri party.

i dont want to go.

lohri has nothing to do with sikhi

every week i meet up with a few Gursikhs where we live, and we do kirtan and simran together.

my mum wants me to miss this, so that i can go to someones lohri.

i dont want to disrespect my mum, and ive already tried explaining to her.

she told me its only one evening, but i dont want to spend my evening with a load of drunks. (i know for a fact there will b people getting <Edited>)

what should i do? (please tell me if i am wrong about lohri, and what it is)

bhul chuk maaf

well ive just read this now and its 8:45 and your probly at the lorhi party, but in my opion go your not going becuase you want to, but because you've been asked so out of respect I think its wise to go.

Just make it clear its not out of choice but out of respect and they''ll know for next time

Happy partying

Sorry i definately know i am late to respond but for future i think sometimes we have to keep our parents happy...i been taught that that is a seva in itself.

although the sangat you would get if u didnt go would be clearly better than at the party.

life is like this for those that want to be close to Guru Ji.

I always try and make most of whereever i am.....maybe do simran in your mind while u at this party.

hope i made sense.

Sometimes we need such events to examine our mind. To see if we can be in the company of drunks or what not and be still at peace within.

Who knows you might meet someone there who is in similar situations you are in or you might strike a conversation with someoen who wwould want to attend your next meeting with your friends doing simran and kirtan. Don't run away from such event, be within them but not with them. Take it as a test for your mind.

Thanks for replying. the party exceeded my expectations.

people were collapsing from getting so drunk- i thought theyd just get tipsy.

yh feel sorry for you bruv!

i got forced to go and just came back from the lohri party  :)   :@   <_<

146664[/snapback]

how comes everyone mistakes me for a guy! :umm:

Why don't we look at what gurbani says regarding this type of sangat? We think that who knows, we may meet someone there who has same interests as us, who may go towards sikhi, etc. But how likely is that? Very unlikely. MOST ARE there for the party, you think you will see someone at a party, but with the intentions of doing naam japna? Impossible. Besides, getting someone into sikhi by first compromising your sikhi does not do you any good. As long as you are firm in your sikhi, Guru Sahib will himself do kirpa of getting others into Sikhi.

Ok, leave aside my views. Lets looks at what Gurbani says:

Kabeer saakat sang naa keejeeai, dooreh jaayeea bhaag, baasan karo parseeye, tao kach lagai dhaag||

This is a fact. When we are in the company of saakats, we most of the time unknowingly take on their habits. On the other hand, when we are in the company of gursikhs, we are blessed with their virtues. It is a totally different thing when we are at a party compared to say when we are at a school. When at a party, it is obvious what will take place there, all together bad sangat. Going to school is our duty. If at school we find someone who wants to know about sikhi, do we not do our part both ways?