• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Osama jeers didn't stop Sikh marathon man, 92

By AUSTIN FENNER

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

4-oldmarathoner.JPG

Fauja Singh

A 92-year-old Sikh man who ran the New York City Marathon wearing his turban endured taunts of "Hey, Osama Bin Laden" and "Look at Saddam" along the 26-mile route.

Fauja Singh had decided to run to educate the public about Sikhism, a religion founded in Punjab, India, in the 1500s. He found he still has a long road ahead.

"Sikhs are not a part of any other religion. It is its own religion," said Singh, who took 7-1/2 hours to run through the five boroughs on Nov. 12. "I wasn't hurt by it," he said. "Those comments had nothing to do with the race."

Singh, a British citizen who lives in London, said that for all the offensive comments there were plenty of cheers and a continuous roar of clapping that kept him focused on the asphalt.

"When the people were looking [cheering] at me, I was getting all of their energies," said the nonagenarian, speaking in Punjabi through an interpreter.

Yesterday, Singh was awarded the Ellis Island Medal of Honor by the National Ethnic Coalition Organization, a group that advocates ethnic pride and tolerance.

William Fugazy, the chairman of the coalition, said Singh is a symbol of racial tolerance, and his run helps bridge the gap created by the Sept.11 terrorist attacks.

"He is the greatest inspiration," said Fugazy, adding that Singh is the first non-American to receive the honor.

Originally p

ublished on November 14, 2003

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/stor...1p-121561c.html