Few Questions.....

chakk_lo

just couple of quick questions......starting from the simple ones

1. why do amritdhari sikhs have to wear kachha and kirpaan in this modern age........saying that sikhism is a modern religion, shudnt we get rid of the things we dont need anymore?

2. Beard.......in many places its considered unhygeniec and unprofessional........most of the sikhs abroad find it difficult to get a proper job coz of the appearance.....so wat shud be the solution for this? does shaving ur beard means u r not a sikh anymore?

:T: :e:

1. why do amritdhari sikhs have to wear kachha and kirpaan in this modern age........saying that sikhism is a modern religion, shudnt we get rid of the things we dont need anymore?

156817[/snapback]

Well um, the khalsa are clearly instructed to wear the 5 kakars, why wear just 3 when you canw ear all 5?

2. Beard.......in many places its considered unhygeniec and unprofessional........most of the sikhs abroad find it difficult to get a proper job coz of the appearance.....so wat shud be the solution for this? does shaving ur beard means u r not a sikh anymore?

156817[/snapback]

Well it depends on your state of mind and having other make your dicisions for you. You can't let everyone rule your life. and yes, you are not a sikh if you start cuting shavign your hair...

:T:  :e:

156817[/snapback]

everytime i come across a 'newbie' i have doubts about the aim of the questions, probably due to past experiences on this site, however im sure someone could give you a better ansa than me, but i think u shud do a search cos these questions im sure hav been ansered a while back.

i am a sikh and i hav had no problem gettin a job, and iv had two different jobs, appearance is everything, guru ji gave us this roop, identity , the kirpan and kachera hav so much importance we cannot just scrap it?

personlaly if you wear a turban and shave your beard, that it stupid and defeats the whole point of keeping hair. Could you tell me where keeping a beard is considered unhygenic? we do ishnaan every morning so sikhs are clean ppl, cleaniness is godliness.

156817[/snapback]

Vgjkk vgjkf.

Hey, to answer your questions.

1. The Kachera and Kirpan, have a symbolic and hold a heavy and important place in the sikh religion, and in daily life. The kirpan is the sword that repersents courage, and provides us with self defense. It repersents, that one has sacrificed, and is determind to defend truth, and oppresion, and shows sikh moral's. The kirpan, symbolizes dignity and always to help people in need. I read somewhere on the internet, that the rule is never to do injustice and never to let anyone do injustice. The Kachera is a sign to live a faithful life. It also helps gursikhs restain over kaam(lust), and such mindly desires. Knowing todays world, bad and horrible stuff can happen, and if anyone gets caught up in the moment of lust, the kachera refrains from doing sins, and then reminds him, of his doings. Might i add, these are the 5 khakaars, that are meant to be one a gursikh at all times, for many reasons, some of which listed above. Also, we are to fallow the guru's ways and teaching, as this is one of them. When you are blessed with amrit, this is one of the promises or vows you make to guruji, which keeps your faith close to being and staying a gurisikh, which then brings your closer to guruji.

2. This leads to Kesh. Hair is your gift from god, Guru nanak dev ji, started this way that we should keep the hair unshorn. When you are made a certain way, you should stay that way, and if guruji wanted you to have short hair, you would have (hair includes a beard). Meaning, watever happens in your life, depends on Hukham ( Pre ordained will from god). Like the above veerji, said cleanliness is godliness, and we take ishnaan every morning, so does that make us unhygenic? There are plenty of Sikhs that have jobs out there. And yes, when your shave your beard, and or cut you hair, you have lost your title as a sikh, as a sikh lives the way god has made them.

I hope i helped in the understand of your questins.

Bull chaak maaph karni ji.

Vgjkk vjgkf.

Sat Sri Akal:

1) "why do amritdhari sikhs have to wear kachha and kirpaan in this modern age........saying that sikhism is a modern religion, shudnt we get rid of the things we dont need anymore?"

As a former tidy whitee and boxer wearer, I can tell you that Kachera is advanced technology that has not been yet adopted by the west. A Kachera is a comfortable and covering form of underwear that permits circulation, keeping you free of sweat and very comfortable. Half of these so called Western underwears are very poor ventilation and can cause health problems such as jock itch and urinary tract infections.

Kirpan is a blade. US Marines and many elite troops are issued blades to this day and taught to use them to deadly effect. Troops still report plenty of use of their blades in combat zones.

Definitely not outdated technology, I assure you.

"2. Beard.......in many places its considered unhygeniec and unprofessional........most of the sikhs abroad find it difficult to get a proper job coz of the appearance.....so wat shud be the solution for this? does shaving ur beard means u r not a sikh anymore?"

First, it is a requirement of the Sikh faith that the hair not be cut, be it from any part of the body. Now, hair was put on your body, as were arms, legs, heart, head, nose, etc. Science does not understand the function of half of your frontal cortex...doesn't mean that we should go around chopping that off too. Hair has a deep relationship with the spiritual and physical strength in many religions and traditions, not just Sikhism. Unhygenic? Only if you do not wash your beard. Unprofessional? There are millions of Sikhs who have uncut beards and go to work. Professionalism is judged by your work ethic and character, not by whether you trim your beard or not.

Dear new be,

I can’t comment on the first one.

But on the second.

When Sikhs came to England in the 60’s when my parents came here. There was so much raciest problems with people wearing turbans.

Do u know British Leyland (Austin rover) would not employ any sikh with a turban. None of the food company’s would either as also lyons maid icecream company..

When Asians were getting kicked at school the boys with turbans were getting picked on practically viciously, the number of times I saw them getting beaten………………..may be if they took off their turbans and shaved their heads the skin heads would leave them alone, do you think they would have?. Would u have shaved ?

Would taru singh ji be allowed to live in peace if he cut his hair?

Would u ask him?

U talk about appearance look at a sikh british police officer wearing a turban, look at a sikh solider, capton, general, the list can go on and on

are u not proud? (I spouse if u r a sikh maybe) .

with your attitude……have u got lost in this world that your turning your back on Sikhism…………………………………

I went to a marriage at a godwara the first 10 odd people were all wearing handkerchiefs no one with a turban was there.

Until the ganie with a turban came in, then and only then I felt I was in a godwara.

If crossing a field and there were 20 teenagers men and u was with your friend , lets say a girl, cousin, sister, pubi, if they were different bunch of guys and one bunch were wearing turbans who would u go through and why?

May be the other groups were Sikhs also but just had shaved heads…..

Question are u a sikh ?

Some how I don’t think so..

in which case read up on who Sikhs are.. :e: :wub:

Not only the veer who started this thread.. but i think everyone should read this article.. its a bit long but worth the read and it answers the question that veerji raised in a good conversation between father and son !

http://www.ontariosikhyouth.ca/news/news.php

Mehtab Singh also posted it in the gurbani section of sikhsangat :wub:

156817[/snapback]

blush.gif So far majority of the singhs i have met have been able to find good jobs fairly easily. including moi

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=12409&hl=

I agree, why should we wear "kacha" (meaning shorts) in the modern age, lets all roam naked like primates do.

What modern age are you on about?!!

shudnt we get rid of the things we dont need anymore?

we dont need brains anymore, computers are getting advanced, much better at logic than the mind. so lets get rid of that too and become robots!

Great, what other ideas you got?