How Baba Ram Rai Ji Was Burnt Alive

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

On September 3rd, 1686 A.D. Baba Ram Rai expressed his desire to Punjab Kaur and other close disciples to sit in a prolonged meditation for at least three days to achieve some spiritual stages for which he had been long aspiring.

He asked Punjab Kaur to bolt the door of his room from outside and not permit anyone to disturb his meditation, till the time of three days had elapsed or he himself knocks from within. The mischievous Gurbakhsh, whose evil genius was responsible for Baba Ram Rai's estrangement with his father, and confrontation with his brother whom he loved so dearly at heart, now saw his golden chance to physically annihilate Baba Ram Rai and capture the wealth and power of the ashram.

He is described by Sewa Singh in his Shahid Bilas as the most ignoble dunce, a stupid rascal, a corpulent and haughty rogue, and a bull-headed egoist: rnaha agyani, abhimani, tumaltang deha, mughad, kukarmi, hankari.

Early the next day, 4th September, Gurbakhsh accused Punjab Kaur of having killed Ram Rai and hidden his body in a room, and conspiring against the durbar with the help of young Guru Gobind Singh.

In that state of Nirvikalpa Samadhi (Enstasis) Baba Ram Rai was absolutely unconscious of his body. Gurbakhsh created such a public opinion against Punjab Kaur that with an organized mass of men he rushed to the room where Baba Ram Rai was sitting in deep meditation, broke open the locks and showing his body as a lifeless corpse and after declaring it dead, hurriedly organized the funeral pyre, and placing it on piles of dry wood, he set fire to it.

Punjab Kaur sent a messenger to Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj for help, but when Guru Gobind Singh Ji personally arrived with fully armed troops and surrounded the Ashram. Baba Ram Rai's body had been consumed by fire. All criminal minded people who had been instrumental in burning Baba Ram Rai Ji alive while he was in Samadhi, were rounded up, their misdeeds thoroughly investigated and they were severely punished.

Punjab Kaur was asked to point out all who had indulged in criminal activities. Everyone was punished according to his crime. In the skirmish that took placed with GurbaJchsh's men about fifty to sixty masands -were killed. But the willy masand Gurbakhsh escaped.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

"On your honour rests the honour of the whole of our Sodhi family"

why would the guru sahibs keep talking about their caste, which was sodhi (related to bedis etc)? For a religion which says forget one's caste, why would the gurus care about the "sodhi" family? There are some serious anti-gurmat inconsistencies in these sahkis....

sorry if i caused offence.

"On your honour rests the honour of the whole of our Sodhi family"

why would the guru sahibs keep talking about their caste, which was sodhi (related to bedis etc)?  For a religion which says forget one's caste, why would the gurus care about the "sodhi" family?  There are some serious anti-gurmat inconsistencies in these sahkis....

sorry if i caused offence.

158965[/snapback]

thats wikid....

i was surprised to hear the name Punjab Kaur...

as i have heard and been to that place where she was born! well i was a kid then..and its a place 15 mins(walking distnce) away from me pind...kind of was part of my pind! The stroy that u have posted is one of the stroies i have heard and had forgotton.

didnt/dont really know much about her, thought she was a sikh init..cuz o dher last name Kaur.wikid name though..

as a kid i used to think that PUNJAB state WAS NAMED after her hahahahaha or she was the mother of Punjab or somehting like that LOL.gif

Guest lowest of the low singhni

why did he lock himself in a room to do bhagti when Guru Saheb wanted us to live a normal gristhi life amongst the rest of the world at the same time as remembering Maharaj?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Ram Rai was the elder son of Guroo Har Rai Sahib Jee and Yes he was excommunicated/disowned//Tankhaya, what ever you want to call it but the key point is Guroo Sahib said he wanted nothing to do with him and nor would guroo sahibs sikh. No offence but the story makes no sense.

Why would Guroo Gobind Singh Jee, Parkash Jot of Guroo Nanak Sahib Jee, the same jot of Guroo Har Rai who earlyer Disowned Ram Rai, would come to the rescue of Ram Rai? Maybe what happened was meant to be the punishment for doing paap.

After Ram Rai had resided in Delhi for some time, he decided to go to Kiratpur and try to convince his father to reverse his decision regarding him. He pitched his camp near Kiratpur and wrote to his father for permission to visit him. He confessed that he had suffered for his sins and desired forgiveness. The Guru replied,"Ram Rai, you have disobeyed my order and sinned. How can you aspire to become a holy man? Go whither your fancy leads you. I will never see you again on account of your infidelity?"

allaboutsikhs.com

Did Ram Rai go to Guroo Sahib and ask for forgiveness?

If not I don’t see the purpose of writing about people in history who the Guroo Sahib or Panth have declared to be Excommunicated.

Maybe I am missing something?