Should The Council Ban People Taking Langar

DhadiMania

Should the council ban people taking langar whilst on nagar kirtan (whilst they actually walk in the nagar keertan)????  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should the council ban people taking langar whilst on nagar kirtan (whilst they actually walk in the nagar keertan)????

• Yes its a good idea
    • No it isnt a good idea

A Kandola Khabraan Special

"unreliable sources" (some indian radio station?) have claimed that the council will not allow the consumption of the good old cha, samosai, pakorai, juice whilst people go on the nagar keertan.

ok cutting that out....

basically, my mum told me earlier that "on the radio" she heard that the council of leicester want to make sure people no longer eat whilst they go on the nagar keertan (whilst they walk) for the following reasons...

1) people leave the rubbish on the floor and expect the council to clean up (the money spent cleaning up could be spent elsewhere)

2) the distance between GNG and GTB isnt far (the two main gurdwaray of leicester), hence if people get so hungry, they can take langar either before the nager keertan starts or after.

like i said, unless there are sangat who know more about this can confirm if this is true, until then i wouldnt believe the council would try to ban sewadars giving prahshad to sangat , but saying that, during maharaj's time, did sewadars give langar out?

but just out of curiosity, what does sangat think of this?

anyhow, sangats opinion of this is.............

Bhul Chukke Muaff

I have noticed this problem as well. Every few hundred metres someone sets up a drinks/snack/sweet stand to do sewa. Their hearts are in the right place and they do this sewa with sharda but what is the point in having such stalls every few hundred metres.

Our Guru Ji taught us about keeping physically fit. I am sure most of us can walk for a few hours without a snack stop. What happens is everyone stops, it disrupts the nagar kirtan, you get litter strewn everywhere and we put on weight.

What have we come to when we need food every few hundred metres. Think about our history and how our forefathers survived with very little food for weeks at a time.

At least the situation is not as bad as in Punjab. Peopel set up roadblocks and try to force you to eat langar. There was even a case where a bus driver was beaten to death for not stopping.

Peopel set up roadblocks and try to force you to eat langar. There was even a case where a bus driver was beaten to death for not stopping.

thats when seva turns into ritual ie: if u dont serve at least so n so many poeple ur seva ent parvaan wacko.gif

and i also noticed the litter problem everywhere.. im surprised the council even lets us do it inthe 1st place!!! punjabis cant be bovad 2 chuk it in the bin.. but have bags full of cans that they got form stall :wub:

The nagar kirtan is hardly a very long walk therefore people should wait until they get to the final Gurdwara and then they should consume food. During the nagar kirtan people should be singing the hymns and showing they are proud to be Sikhs not walking and wandering 'what am i going to be served at the next stall.' rolleyes.gif Plus we get some weird people who take carrier bags with them and do their weekly shopping by taking dozens of crisps, drinks sweets, samosa and all sorts.

First of all lets look at why Langar is a part of the Nagar Keertan. To my very limited knowledge, Nagar Keertans in Guru Jee's time and since in India have taken place over long distances. Sangatha out of sharda and pyaar would fortify the sangat taking part in the Nagar Keertan by offering them langar for their remaining journey. This is one of the great Sikh principles of seva on a very auspicious day.

However the council aren't wrong either - rather than banning langar, we need to stress the importance of keeping our city clean and our authorities happy to our sangat, in particular those 'older' mebers of sangat.

Leicester in particular, we have bibian ('older' bibian) who rule their own on the day. They don't want to walk in lines of four, they don't want to stay on the roads instead of the footpaths, they don't want to be told what to do - it would be incredibly sad if because of these members of sangat that langar on the whole was stopped.

I know one of the main 'features' of the Nagar Keertan drawing in non-Sikhs is the langar... education can start from a tiny morsel of food....

My two cents...

rolleyes.gif   Plus we get some weird people who take carrier bags with them and do their weekly shopping by taking dozens of crisps, drinks sweets, samosa and all sorts.

161117[/snapback]

lol true! You get the women (not picking) who have a somosa stuffed down the gob and one in the hand, and a carrier bag stuffed with goodies for the 'kids'

A majority only gossip, and when they have a minute or two between gossiping, they'll utter 'Waheguru'

It enrages me! :wub: :@ :cool: