Dead Leg

When sitting cross-legged for ages, I get a dead leg (circulation/nerves cut off). Is there anyway to avoid this? Generally I switch from sitting cross-legged to lifting one knee to chest and holding it there with arms wrapped around it (you've seen everyone do it!)

Is there a way I can sit cross-legged for more than a few mins without a dead leg?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I have this problem too. The only thing which seems to help me is if I sit slightly above where my legs are. So if I am doing chore seva, then I sit on a pillow and let my legs rest downwards. It seems to prevent this problem.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

(currently in anatomy and physiology class)

source:

Silverthorn, Dee Unglaub. Human PHysiology: An Integrated Approach. New York: Pearson BEnjamin Cummings, 2004.

To assist in venous flow, some veins have internal one-way valves. These valves, like those in the heart, ensure that blood passing the valve cannot flow backward. once blood reaches the vena cava, there are no valves. Blood flow is steady, pushed along by the continuous movement of blood into the venous circulation from the capillaries.

Venous return to the heart is aided by the skeletal muscle and respiratory pumps. When muscles such as those in the calf of the leg contract, they compress the veins, forcing the blood upward past the valves.

So when you are sitting cross legged, or even standing for a while with your knees locked, the blood gets stuck down in your legs and feet. THis is followed by the burning sensation in your legs because metabolites (waste products) are building up there since the blood is not carrying it away. And when you move your legs, those one way valves get opened as your calf muscles contract and the blood goes back up to the heart and all that metabolite stuff gets washed away....then you feel better. So best thing is, when your legs fall asleep get some calf muscle action going to move the blood up :TH: But try to sit with your legs more relaxed and don't squeeze your veins.

Sat Sri Akal:

Alternating which leg is on the bottom as well as changing positions will help too. Sometimes, as much as you hate to, you just have to get up and move around.

how.... i dont wna fall down in front of all the sangat!

lol

its not easy walkin with a dead leg...

no.gif

For example sit cross-legged on sofa when watching tele etc.

Thats wat i do :e: