What Would You Do?

Okay, a while back I heard how some Sikhs said they would eat meat if there was nothing else and others said they wouldn't even if it meant them dying.

This plus a joke (see below) got me thinking.

Imagine you are in the desert. Nothing around for hundreds of miles. You have very little water left. No food. For days, you do an Ardaas to the Lord and pray for some food. Day after day, you pray to the Lord for some food.

One day, you're sitting there and a pig* comes out of nowhere and just stands around in front of you.

DO YOU EAT IT?

*doesn't have to be a pig, but must be an animal you can't drink milk from

** bear in mind there's nothing but sand around for miles. No grass, trees, vegetation or other humans.

Below's the joke that made me think of the above:

------------------------------------------the joke--------------------------------------------------------

A farmer is in Iowa during a flood. The river is overflowing, with water surrounding the farmer's home up to his front porch. As he is standing there, a boat comes up, The man in the boat says "Jump in, I'll take you to safety."

The farmer crosses his arms and says stubbornly, "Nope, I put my trust in God."

The boat goes away. The water rises to the second floor. Another boat comes up, the man says to the farmer who is now in the second story window, "Jump in, I'll save you."

The farmer again says, "Nope, I put my trust in God."

The boat goes away. Now the water is up to the roof. As The farmer stands on the roof, a helicopter comes over, and drops a ladder. The pilot yells down to the farmer "I'll save you, climb the ladder."

The farmer says "Nope, I put my trust in God."

The helicopter goes away. The water comtinues to rise and sweeps the farmer off the roof. He drowns.

The farmer goes to heaven. God sees him and says "What are you doing here?"

The farmer says "I put my trust in you and you let me down."

God says, "What do you mean, let you down? I sent you two boats and a helicopter!!! What more did you want!?!!"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Balait_da_sher paaji a very good point... but what if the pig is lost... and cant find the food which is why it ended up near you... so if you follow it around it might die searching for the food aswell....

.... i would try to dig deep in the sand... surely there would be water there

...or surely there must be a camel around...

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

The situation posted and the joke posted are two different types of situations. If you are a Sikh and God knows that Sikhs don't eat meat, since he made us, then he would provide you with veg nourishment. He also knows that if he sends a pig the Singh or Singhnee will not eat it. The rule is never never to break one's maryada at any cost. It is easy to say, hard to do.

The situation posted and the joke posted are two different types of situations. If you are a Sikh and God knows that Sikhs don't eat meat, since he made us, then he would provide you with veg nourishment. He also knows that if he sends a pig the Singh or Singhnee will not eat it. The rule is never never to break one's maryada at any cost. It is easy to say, hard to do.

Fateh

yes i can see what u are saying about keeping rehit....i cant remember the exact date blush.gif perhaps sum1 with more knowledge of this event can shed light on it but Shaheed Bundha Singh Bahadur and his men were trapped/under seige in a fort (i think it was lohgarh) and they were there for i think 7 months with the mughals waiting for them outside....the sikhs inside ate the grass...the bark on the trees and then wen nothing else was left some of them decided to kill an ox whilst others remained veggie and instead of taking anothers life they cut there own thighs and eat their own meat and they still came out fighting!....these brave sikhs were put to the sword in dehli 100 by the day and it took only 7 days and they were all shaheed. My tabla teacher also told me a story of a singh who fed himself to his horse to keep it alive....the compassion of these old sikhs is inspirational and i personally wudnt know wat id do in that situation. i thought these stories might be useful and inspirational to the sangat...forgive me for any mistakes and please inform me if any of that was incorrect.

Fateh

I read somewhere that unless you are a fighting a dharam yudh, you've eaten every single vegetation around - including bark off trees - and the dharam yudh will be affected by you not being there.. THEN it is necessary to do jhatka (yup i said that) - Shout Saat Sri akaal And chop the animal's head off as fast as possible to give it least amount of pain possiblee.