Is It Wrong?

Akaali

Saadh sangat jee,

I've had this question on my mind for a while, if someone has bani kunth (memorized) can they recite gurbani while walking, etc. because I know a few taksali singhs and they do their nitnem while going for a walk, etc. and doing other things, or should one sit down and recite?

Daas

WJKK WJKF

LOLz.....veerji/panji.....you can recite bani whenever you want to.....the more you do the better....you don't have to sit down and recite bani ji.....and you have it memorized that's even better because you can do it whenever,wherever.....so go ahead.....recite bani while going for walks.....i like doing that too man it's so peaceful d_oh.gif bhul chuk muaf ji

WJKK WJKF

I do rehraas sahib while cleaning up my room when I dont have time (im a maha maha MAHA paapi)

But thing is, I feel its better to sit down and do paath so you actually concentrate on it. Otherwise, you are just reciting it like a parrot and not listening to it! Not listening = no Laha!!!

(i need to learn)

I tend to do paat/shabad whilst doind something simple like walking/sitting on the bus/washing dishes and other mindless tasks that allow you to focus properly whilst still carrying out an activity.

AFAIK, Guru Ji himself has stated we should always spend every waking moment reciting Naam, which means that even when eating/cleaning/working/whatever, we should always focus our attentions on God Himself.

The only problem I have is when I'm doing Japji sahib whilst washing the dishes or something and a housemate interrupts me. That kinda ruins things for me.

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

I recite Japuji Sahib in mornig while taking shower!! :|

is it ok?

No. You should first take bath then after do naam simran and after that while the sun rises recite the JapJi, panj banis etc.

Guru Ji has said that it doesnt matter if standing or sitting when reciting the morning banis, but it would be harder to concentrate on them when doing stuff. I think its allright as long as you dont make it a habit to be doing something while reciting the banis. Banis are sacred and not just vibrations from your mouth.

We should avoid reciting banis as a machine {Anand Sahib defines this}

I always sit when reciting because it is a meditation thing or Raaj Yoga. I dont talk other than banis, answer questions, answer the phone, answer the door if someone knocks even when they know Im home, people got used to this and know that Im reciting the Gurus Banis so they wait a little bit and then come back over to my house or call back later.

If you already have them memorized then you should study the meanings and vocabulary. If you have them memorized then someone should be able to pick any pauri and ask you what it means and you should be able to tell them what the pauri means or what words means what and break it down to them if they ask.

BLAH blah BlAh bLaH wacko.gif

""""""""""""""""""The only problem I have is when I'm doing Japji sahib whilst washing the dishes or something and a housemate interrupts me. That kinda ruins things for me.""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I would not allow it by ignoring them until they figure out that the recitation is more important than answering their question, and when your done ask them what they wanted to ask you.

bhajji there is nothing wrong .... but not complete right also ....

i dont have this state of mind .... but the thing is while doing your path .... is your mind coperating with your mouth ..... if as bhajji said above me that they have japjee sahib while having bath .... there is nothing wrong as far as they know which line they are speaking .... i ment to say that one should be full aware of himself and bani he is doing ... most likely people can achive it while sitting in closed room by this way they can give full attention to path .... but then also some time our mind goes to college for few seconds then tv its flying all around ....

so its state of mind and attention you are giving to bani that matters ...

if i tell bout my self menu ratta lageya hoyea .... main ek line bhul ja yaa interupt ho ja i cant continue .... so i preffer myself sitting with gutka in hand and doing path ...

maffi deo

jassa

gurbur akal

there is sakhi is suraj prakash garnth ... i cant remember it was around two years back ... just i remember is a sikh i was doing bani while walking from one city to another and ohde peeran wich shale ho gaye ... te jadd oh guru sahib koll ponche ohne wekheya ki guru sahib de we peeranch shale ho chukke see ... jadd ohne ess warre guru sahib toon pusheya guru sahib ne jawab dita .... tun menu apne naal naal taan turra reha see ....

and after that this sikh always did his path while sitting ....

i m not sure bout sakhi but it was something like that ... and giyani jee in gurudwara said we should not to path roaming around ....

gurbur akal

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

No you are supposed to do ishnaan first and then after do naam simran and then banis.

I bet people here dont take cold ishnaans also.

You should block out the rest of the world as if this was your last time able to recite the Gurus banis because you never know, it might be.

"Gutka" is an old word that means a brake on a wagon, as we read the banis we are putting a brake and skidding to a stop of the rest of the world, and after we continue driving our wagon through this world collecting as many virtues as we can.

We must figure that recitation needs the rest of the world to stop in our mind or then you just slowed down with the brake and didnt stop completely and applyed the E-brake and put the transmission into park until you are done reciting the banis. Then you can put it in overdrive and be speeding at 1000 mph/kph as the rest of the world is these days.