• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 am is good worthy.gif: ,

2 am is better grin.gif ,

1 am is great :e: ,

12 am and you are a sant :nihungsmile: ,

11:30 pm  ^_^

MKhalsa bro is 11:30 really considered best amrit vela? I've read that it was 4:00am to 7:00am (Yogi Bhajan).

If it is at 11:30am then I can do naam simran that time no problem since I sleep at 2:00am, do you think

this would still be considered amrit vela since I would go to sleep at 2:00am after doing naam simran?

I dont think you understood what i meant.. you start at that time but finish at the same time.. ie 5 or 6..

i know a few gurmukhs who sleep from about 10 or 10:30 to 11 or so and get up, take a shower and start amritvela at around 11:30.. at this stage you really dont need sleep all that much..

So if you wake up at 3 am what do you do pray till 6 am, I would really like to do this but I don't know if I will be able to pray because I am unable to read Punjab and I am unable to read Punjabi in English. At the moment I wake up at 6:30 am and listen to Japji Sahib on tape about 7:00 am, then after work about 6:30 pm I listen to Rehas (not sure of the spelling sorry) then before bed I listen to kirtan sohila. Is that ok or will I need to start reading the paath as well, also what are the other paath I need to listen/read and what time should I listen/read to other paath.

Thanks

Sat Sri Akal:

Chamkila Sahib, a small benti that gos a long way...learn to read Gurmukhi script. If you can understand what is being said in the audio paath, then that means you have an understanding of the words used in Gurbani.

I used to do the same...listen to Gurbani but unable to read it. When I started to read, I began to see how many times I misunderstood what was being said!!!

Teach yourself the Gurmukhi script. For one week, for about an hour a day, write the Gurmukhi script over and over and over. Take a set of 5 letters per day and do it. You will be able to learn Gurmukhi script VERY quickly...then move onto reading Gurbani...it will be tough, but just struggle through it (with a copy of Gurmukhi letters next to if you need to). You will become very comfortable with the letters and be able to read Gurbani in no time!!! If you are having trouble understanding the words of Gurbani, buy a Gutka with translations done in GURMUKHI NOT ENGLISH (otherwise, you might just end up reading the english and skipping reading anything in Gurmukhi alphabet)!!!

I did this and, through the Almighty's Kirpa, was able to read Gurbani comfortably in like one month. And that opened the door to being able to read ANYTHING in Gurmukhi script.

Listening is one thing...but reading Gurbani for yourself gives you enough time to process and understand what is being said.

Nothing but respect for your discipline of waking up early...keep it up!!!

Thanks guys,

A few more question

By Gurmukhi do you mean Punjabi, if so I did my Punjabi GCSE (Exams) about 5/6 years ago, but I am only able to read small words. The main thing is I don't want to read the paath wrong. Whats the best why to learn Punjabi, the the fastest way.

What are the other paath you do, I heard you have to do seven in a day could some one please list the paatha and what time I should do them and a link for a mp3 file. How long will all the paaths take in the morning.

Sorry for asking for so much.

Thanks again

Chamkila jeeo,

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Please go to the gurdwara sahib and find out if there any santhiya classes available. These will help you pronounce all of the gurbani properly, and many santhiya teachers also explain the bani.

It is a truly valuable experience, please try to find out if it is offered in your community.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!