Sangat Ji, Our Guru Ghar Has An Issue With Langar...

babbar khalistani that is the problem though, gurdwara is not a Walmart or shopping center that is going to lose customers or revenue. It is a house, the guru's gate, thus gurdwara.

Honestly i don't blame the committees or sewadaars on this one. This is on the sangat as a whole. Every sikh should take the time to observe maryada of guru ghar and not always look for people to do it for us. There are usually 5-6 committee people and hundreds of sangat. if the sangat refuses to respect guru sahib then what can 5-6 people do. every one of us needs to be proactive and we have to support the bhai sahibs and bibis who enforce the maryada.

I honestly spoke with the committee members and the bhai sahibs and they all agreed that maryada was being grossly violated, so much so that a group of raagi singhs told me that they don't even go into the langar hall any more. so the respect is there, how do we enforce it?

has the table and chair culture led to this lax attitude about langar? i don't know....could be...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U are right bruv gurdwara aint a supermarket but who doesn't know that commitee in most of the gurdwaras consider maya above maryada. I feel if commitee members are encouraging people by not discouraging them they are equally at fault. We know how people react when they are stopped frm indulging in beadbi. So someone elderly and someone with authority can make a difference. If i go and request an auntie she gonna say "don't bother me son" . Gurdwara commitee and granthi singhs can prove mighty effective by announcing in congregation to people to stop beadbi. They can say again and again and make people feel ashamed but merely turning a blind eye is an encouragement.

In your gurughar it might be different but in the one i visit granthi singhs also sit on chairs and tables(some don't on sundays when there is sangat) and have langar. So what to expect????

Guest peacemaker

Sometimes when I am serving langar, I notice people don't use two hands when taking parshada (mostly non-Sikhs), I usually just tell them in a strict voice to use two hands. When everyone starts to look over they usually lift up the other hand.

Should be more understanding to non-sikhs, because it may be there first time in a gurdwara, and they may not know the "rules". I don't know what you call a "stirct voice", but if I was in a new area, and someone yelled at me, I may never go back there.

You can have a notice that says "Please keep your heads covered at all times. Failure to do so will result in add something here"

A Thapar...

LOL.gif

well..i was thinkin something like...

"You will not be served if your head isn't covered properly."

grin.gif

Guest peacemaker

You can have a notice that says "Please keep your heads covered at all times. Failure to do so will result in add something here"

A Thapar...

LOL.gif

grin.gif

"Pashada ji, Pashada ji, Pashada ji, no head covered <skip>, Pashada ji, etc..."

Hmmm, that would be kind of funny.

A Thapar...

LOL.gif

grin.gif

"Pashada ji, Pashada ji, Pashada ji, no head covered <skip>, Pashada ji, etc..."

Hmmm, that would be kind of funny.

LOLL

its more like:

"Prashada ji? Prashada ji? Prashada ji? <sees someone without head covered> Sir taklo ji. <person covers head>" then you give the prashada." :TH:

OR

"Prashada ji? Prashada ji? Prashada ji? <sees someone without head covered> Sir taklo ji. <person doesnt cover head>" then you give the prashada." :TH:

OR

"Prashada ji? Prashada ji? Prashada ji? <sees someone without head covered> Sir taklo ji. <person covers head, but gives a nasty look>" then you give the prashada, while smiling at the person. :TH:

They can say again and again and make people feel ashamed but merely turning a blind eye is an encouragement.

yes, that's true.

"Prashada ji? Prashada ji? Prashada ji? <sees someone without head covered> Sir taklo ji. <person covers head>" then you give the prashada."

OR

"Prashada ji? Prashada ji? Prashada ji? <sees someone without head covered> Sir taklo ji. <person doesnt cover head>" then you give the prashada."

OR

"Prashada ji? Prashada ji? Prashada ji? <sees someone without head covered> Sir taklo ji. <person covers head, but gives a nasty look>" then you give the prashada, while smiling at the person.

good idea :D

nps..i made a mistake too...lol

its more like:

"Prashada ji? Prashada ji? Prashada ji? <sees someone without head covered> Sir taklo ji. <person covers head>" then you give the prashada." :TH:

OR

"Prashada ji? Prashada ji? Prashada ji? <sees someone without head covered> Sir taklo ji. <person doesnt cover head>" then you WAIT TILL THE PERSON COVERS THE HEAD and THEN give the prashada ." :TH:

OR

"Prashada ji? Prashada ji? Prashada ji? <sees someone without head covered> Sir taklo ji. <person covers head, but gives a nasty look>" then you give the prashada, while smiling at the person. :TH: