Sangat Ji, Our Guru Ghar Has An Issue With Langar...

We should not be scared to tell people to cover their heads. As I have witnessed uncovered heads on many occasions and Ive only seen babas and bibis telling them to cover their heads. We as a youth should step up and kindly tell others who do not cover their heads to do so as it is respectful (to cover your head) in the Guru ghar. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki fateh!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then we have people working in kitchen preparing food with chappals on.....

hmmm the gurdwara that i go to also does that...but the thing that is suprsing to me is that even the giani or the actual person who takes care of most of the sewa done in the kitchen also wears chapla... sorry but to be honest i reallllllyyyy didnt know we not supposed to wear chappala in kitchen ..asi have worn em myself previously :D

bhul chuk maaf

fatehjee

Guest peacemaker

hmmm the gurdwara that i go to also does that...but the thing that is suprsing to me is that even the giani or the actual person who takes care of most of the sewa done in the kitchen also wears chapla... sorry but to be honest i reallllllyyyy didnt know we not supposed to wear chappala in kitchen ..asi have worn em myself previously :D

bhul chuk maaf

fatehjee

Wait a second, isn't that more of a "safety issue". Like if something spills in the kitchen, people could slide and fall down if they don't wear chappals? grin.gif

lol,

I was at gurughar one day having langar, they had tables there and no spaces to eat on the floor no.gif so i kinda sat in a corner and had langar. I noticed that there was a bhaji much older them myself sitting having langar but his head wasnt covered, so as he got up i asked him ' can i make a suggestion please' or something like that ( sounds so g(a(y i know), but anways he said 'go on', i said ' there a notice on the wall saying please cover your head in the langar hall', he accepted that he made a mistake and didnt know wat to say bak, as i was explaining about gurdwara maryada and how to conduct urself in the gurdwara, his wife came over and heard wat was going on, she 'stood' up for him and said 'well theres a different interpretation for everything, we may not follow what u may think', i was like wat the fudge?! This isnt wat i think, lol its the Gurus Maryada! anyway he refused to even cover his head in the gurdwara, and felt that only going inside darbar that head should be covered.

A while later i was off too the mens, and i noticed the bhaji had tied a dastar his head, lol, but i thought wat made him change his mind? then i saw an uncle working near by to where this bhaji was, and probably told him 'the young lad who thinks he knows it all' told me this and this, and mostly likely the uncle whos got enough sense said that he was right about Gurus maryada and that your head should be covered all the time!

Chalo wat im saying is the older generation sometimes feel shame that young uns like ourself respect maryada more and this makes their ego kick and basically cant give in the fact that their losers for not knowing about gurdwara maryada.

bhulf chuk mafi, not all older generation are like that and obviously not all youth know about Gurus maryada, all i can say is become a walkin example and try to explain with as much pyar as u can.

I asked granthi today that why donn u stop people frm doing beadbi? i told him to look at lady serving the people in langar....face loaded wit tons of make up, hair fully coloured no head covering...smiling like an air hostess.... he said look there's a notice but who cares???? everyone has a seperate rehat marytada for himself/herself and walk inside langar hall with chappals on and bare headed but goras don't.... if they remove their chapals or shoes and cover their head while entering after reading the notice if they can why our people can't???? I said goras respect the religion but our own people don't they juss cum for a day out.

smiling like an air hostess

lol LOL.gif

so tru tho....There can be loadsa signs up @ Gurdwara Sahibz both in Panjabi & English, after reading them not that anyone takes it into consideration.. no.gif :D

bhul chuk maaf

fatehjee

Wait a second, isn't that more of a "safety issue". Like if something spills in the kitchen, people could slide and fall down if they don't wear chappals? grin.gif

U r saying exactly what those who advocate the idea of wearing chappals say ...but what we forget is our prioroty should be maryada not our own comforts...health and safety issues come second....how many people slide and fall everyday on gurdwara floors? how many people die in india of this???

We sholudn't try to be too sensitive to compromise for maryada in exchange of every small reason.....once that happened with me....a bibi advised me to wear chappals in kitchen while washing dishes i said a big no insisting it's a beadbi and after a few mins and a lady came to pick up cups and she dropped it on floor and sum of the glass cut my feet and it started bleeding and the bibi that advised me soon grabbed the opportunity and said " main keha si na chappal pa lai, munde gal kehra mande ne" i was speechless for a moment but replied when she was going on and on at the same time cleaning my feet "bibi fer ki hoya thora khoon hi niklaya koi beadbi ta ni keeti" and she said "bhai tussi ta ziddi o" but i knew i didn't do anything wrong i was just trying to follow the right maryada and a small cut's not gonna kill me......our gurus did so much and never compromised and here we are moaning about every small thing.....this just shows how low we are in terms of commitment.

yesterday i was washing dishes in my gurdwara and all the beadbi thing was going on in my mind and i had this feeling that time's gonna cum when we gonna have dishwashers in gurdwaras and the sewa factor's eventually gonna get eliminated as sum gurdwaras are hiring cleaners though on temporary basis......but the signs are not good.

Guest peacemaker

bhul chuk maaf

fatehjee

U r saying exactly what those who advocate the idea of wearing chappals say ...but what we forget is our prioroty should be maryada not our own comforts...health and safety issues come second....how many people slide and fall everyday on gurdwara floors? how many people die in india of this???

We sholudn't try to be too sensitive to compromise for maryada in exchange of every small reason.....once that happened with me....a bibi advised me to wear chappals in kitchen while washing dishes i said a big no insisting it's a beadbi and after a few mins and a lady came to pick up cups and she dropped it on floor and sum of the glass cut my feet and it started bleeding and the bibi that advised me soon grabbed the opportunity and said " main keha si na chappal pa lai, munde gal kehra mande ne" i was speechless for a moment but replied when she was going on and on at the same time cleaning my feet "bibi fer ki hoya thora khoon hi niklaya koi beadbi ta ni keeti" and she said "bhai tussi ta ziddi o" but i knew i didn't do anything wrong i was just trying to follow the right maryada and a small cut's not gonna kill me......our gurus did so much and never compromised and here we are moaning about every small thing.....this just shows how low we are in terms of commitment.

yesterday i was washing dishes in my gurdwara and all the beadbi thing was going on in my mind and i had this feeling that time's gonna cum when we gonna have dishwashers in gurdwaras and the sewa factor's eventually gonna get eliminated as sum gurdwaras are hiring cleaners though on temporary basis......but the signs are not good.

I don't agree with everything you wrote. There's a point where I will draw the line. I will not break my neck for "maryada", and yes you should wear chappals in the kitchen, because who wants your blood all over the floor and it could contaminate the langar for all I know.

I will not break my neck for "maryada"

wow. that is a very bold statement.

Guru Arjun dev ji had to sit on a hot plate.

Guru Tegh bahadur ji was beheaded.

Guru Gobind singh ji's two sons were martyred in battle.

The chote sahibzaade were bricked alive.

Bhai taru singh was scalped alive

bhai mani singh was cut limb by limb

being barefoot in the kitchen is "breaking" your back.

nice. That's how we got the title of sardars right?

learn your history my friend. just imagine living in jungles with a price on your head.

my mom walks around barefoot in our kitchen at home while cooking and we never say oh mama bless your Qurbaani for this family.....