Keeping Dhaari

thesoldier

Guest Singh_jee

a seperate state 4 what? land is land are sikhs or the israelis or the iraqis goin 2 hav tht land once they've passd away?

any way being a singh is the best! i get askd stupid questions by goreh and apnay lokh aswell like 'do u wear that to bed' pointin 2 my dastaar lol i just tell them init what happens and that and they're well fascinated!

its gooood 2 stand out your totally different 2 evry one else escpecailly where all the singhs at your school wear black dastaars and i bust out with my bright blue LOL!

akaaaal!

Waheguruji ka Khalsa Wahegurji ki Fateh.

Keeping kes for Sikhs is a must, there are no two ways about it.

When people ask me questions about my dhari or pag, I patiently explain to them that it is part of our religion. Mostly of the people who question us are those who do not have any knowledge about Sikhism, and we should expain the purpose of this to them, whether they are Sikhs or non-Sikhs.

What surprised me once was that a Hindu friend of mine told me that its amazing to see Sikhs shaving their beards. He told me that he has read the Sikh itihaas( espessially Guru Gobind Singh Ji's itihaas) himself. The sacrifices that Sikhs have given not only for their own religion but for other religions as well cannot be expressed in words. He told me that anyone who has read the Guru Gobind Singh Ji's itihaas will never cut his beard. But amazingly (in our area also) there are more mones than gursikhs. It feels bad.

i guess bhai sahib meant prouder as in proud of sikhi saroop......u wudnt care wat ppl say....of course they r gonna keep quiet it duznt effect u in any way

i think a major part as to why people keep making the shaving rferences is cuz like you said..you DON'T keep your full beard...so i guess people see the stuble look and are like...the guy should shave..

however if you do keep your full dhari...sure it might happen once or twice...but people will see that you're serious and stop...

and as for pride...there is no pride in kes or dhari without having pride in your guru first....loving the guru, surrendering to Him gives the type of confidence that guru ji talks about when he says he can make his one gursikh fight sava lakh faujaan...

when you become the guru's...He becomes yours...and he will take you through life...through all your trials and tribulations...always making sure his sikh comes out clean and unhurt....that's the love he has for us...he is only waiting for you to ask for that love...

speaking from personal experience..i live in canada...have always kept my kes...i used to get the normal "turbinator" remars when i was in elementary..but by high school..i was respected by my peers simply cuz i never cared what others had to say..and always did my own thing...never followed the crowd...at the same time i was alwasy involved in extracurriculars and stuff..so a lot of people got to know the "kid in the turban"..and they;d ask questions..and they'd respect the faith...

even today...i'm living in a city and going to school where there is two other sardars...and i don't generally get any discrimination...and the odd time that anything will happen...it's usually my friends who will jump up first...and me calming them down...hehe

but the secret to all this kirpa of guru ji is Sadh sangat....i grew up around veers who were older than me..who were into sikhi..and were fully involved in society too...who while living in society showed society what gursikhs are...i've been very fortunate to grow up around these people...i truly believe that had i not the guidance of elders, the sangat of great saints, guru ji being the centre of our family, and the sangat of soo many inspiring veers and bhens...i would have turned out completely different...

so veerji...the answer to your question...is simple...run to guru ji...run to any sadh sangat in guru ji's hazoori...seek shelter wiht the saints of simran...seek shelter with your guru ji...let Him inspire you...

i don't like to tell people to stop cuting their hair..or keep your dari...cuz it's pointless until you make that relationship with your guru ji....so read gurbani...listen to kathas...read our ithaas...do sangat with gursikhs...and Do simran...and most of all DO ARDAS...to guru ji to bless you with the love for His kes...the love for gursikhi...the love for humanity (including those that make fun of your beard)..the courage to walk His path...the courage to become a harjan....

and i guarantee....with that yearning, that inspiration, that love...the kes you will get...will be sarbloh itself..and no force on this planet will be able to cut them...it will become your soul manifested...cutting your kes..would be cutting your soul....and for a naam abhiyaasi...that is a death that is far greater than the physical death...

i hope some of that made sense...

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

i think a major part as to why people keep making the shaving rferences is cuz like you said..you DON'T keep your full beard...so i guess people see the stuble look and are like...the guy should shave..

however if you do keep your full dhari...sure it might happen once or twice...but people will see that you're serious and stop...

and as for pride...there is no pride in kes or dhari without having pride in your guru first....loving the guru, surrendering to Him gives the type of confidence that guru ji talks about when he says he can make his one gursikh fight sava lakh faujaan...

when you become the guru's...He becomes yours...and he will take you through life...through all your trials and tribulations...always making sure his sikh comes out clean and unhurt....that's the love he has for us...he is only waiting for you to ask for that love...

speaking from personal experience..i live in canada...have always kept my kes...i used to get the normal "turbinator" remars when i was in elementary..but by high school..i was respected by my peers simply cuz i never cared what others had to say..and always did my own thing...never followed the crowd...at the same time i was alwasy involved in extracurriculars and stuff..so a lot of people got to know the "kid in the turban"..and they;d ask questions..and they'd respect the faith...

even today...i'm living in a city and going to school where there is two other sardars...and i don't generally get any discrimination...and the odd time that anything will happen...it's usually my friends who will jump up first...and me calming them down...hehe

but the secret to all this kirpa of guru ji is Sadh sangat....i grew up around veers who were older than me..who were into sikhi..and were fully involved in society too...who while living in society showed society what gursikhs are...i've been very fortunate to grow up around these people...i truly believe that had i not the guidance of elders, the sangat of great saints, guru ji being the centre of our family, and the sangat of soo many inspiring veers and bhens...i would have turned out completely different...

so veerji...the answer to your question...is simple...run to guru ji...run to any sadh sangat in guru ji's hazoori...seek shelter wiht the saints of simran...seek shelter with your guru ji...let Him inspire you...

i don't like to tell people to stop cuting their hair..or keep your dari...cuz it's pointless until you make that relationship with your guru ji....so read gurbani...listen to kathas...read our ithaas...do sangat with gursikhs...and Do simran...and most of all DO ARDAS...to guru ji to bless you with the love for His kes...the love for gursikhi...the love for humanity (including those that make fun of your beard)..the courage to walk His path...the courage to become a harjan....

and i guarantee....with that yearning, that inspiration, that love...the kes you will get...will be sarbloh itself..and no force on this planet will be able to cut them...it will become your soul manifested...cutting your kes..would be cutting your soul....and for a naam abhiyaasi...that is a death that is far greater than the physical death...

i hope some of that made sense...

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh